• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the best picture but first wear for the merlot Randolph’s today. Paired with a brown POW suit from Spier and Mackay also being worn for the first time.
3E87644F-28ED-4531-AE90-820C5668EC67.jpeg

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! Hopefully @ae_ashley can work these nattys into a future trunk show!

Instead, why not skip the online purchasing altogether and work with an SA who knows you and what you will accept right out of the gate?

In person is ideal and I can/could do that. After the first two pairs arrived defective I called the local store to see about immediate replacements but they only had the 5ths. I think cigar strands are less common and stores may not carry them often.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In person is ideal and I can/could do that. After the first two pairs arrived defective I called the local store to see about immediate replacements but they only had the 5ths. I think cigar strands are less common and stores may not carry them often.
Call/email your SA, ask them to bring in your size cigar, or whatever. When the shoe arrives, SA calls/emails you, you go in and flyspeck them. If your SA is any good and the cigar shoe he/she brought in for you is dinged when it arrives, he just send its back for another, saves you a trip. Make your SA your 'eyes and ears.' They will do that for a good customer like you

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call/email your SA, ask them to bring in your size cigar, or whatever. When the shoe arrives, SA calls/emails you, you go in and flyspeck them. If your SA is any good and the cigar shoe he/she brought in for you is dinged when it arrives, he just send its back for another, saves you a trip.

Do I get charged when they order them? Or can the SA just order single pairs for general stock?

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I get charged when they order them? Or can the SA just order single pairs for general stock?
In my experience no, but others have said otherwise.
Edit: If they have to build them for you, expect to be charged of course

Even if they do charge you, then your SA is in the loop to help get your refund processed, if you choose refund over exchange. SAs can help with that too. Seriously there is no upside to you to going it alone on the website.

Last edited:

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,@audog tracked me down and reminded me that I had been neglecting my responsibilities to contribute shoe Appreciation for the good of the cause. He was quite right and I shall deliver with some recently scored vintage AE Orlean “dirty bucks” light brown suedes from 1979. I may have missed previous discussions on the subject but it appears that my fear of the demise of the belived MacNeil is not unfounded,I noticed that they seem to be clearing them out,and not even keeping them as a shell option:(
Anyhow,the vintage Orlean suedes
09E20EA5-E57D-492A-AF7F-DD374E377F69.jpeg
AFA941CD-1D69-4539-92BF-F77B269FA81A.jpeg
DC055AF2-ED2B-4A68-8CFD-62B5C44F1921.jpeg

cincytri

Reaction score
Couple of shots from my TS 19.2 purchases. Overall, I’m generally happy with how things turned out. I’m not thrilled with the execution on the Chili Strands and the medallion is pretty buried on my brown 5th Streets which is unfortunate. I was very lucky to pick up the shaved 5th Ave which came out the best of the three.

AE needs to be careful with these TS. I’m pretty forgiving when it comes to flaws on handmade shoes, but crooked and curvy caps, sloppy pinking and welt stitching that is mm from the outer edge is not a great look for what should be the showcase of their production. I’m glad they are doing these TS because it gives people like me the chance to pickup rare shell and I certainly want these shows to continue. Too much complaining and nitpicking isn’t helpful, so I’m not going to push too hard. However, AE can and in fact does do better and at $700 bucks a pop, they can tighten things up a smidge to make the best impression. I’ll still be in line for the next round with the hopes that the QC is a little better. If not, I’ll move on. Just my $0.02.
1A7603FA-81EF-4F78-AE84-A90C1A46C8C2.jpeg
251091E0-9729-4876-B086-456441F00689.jpeg
D4722BAD-A5AA-49EE-9EC7-D0C2BC5155C3.jpeg

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Loud crashing noise behind the house about 2 am this morning. A tree decided it was time to surrender a rather large limb to gravity. Darn thing fell right in the creek behind the house, forming an impromptu beaver dam across the creek. Thought I'd see just how water resistant the Alpine boots were. Removal clothing, as it's 28 degrees out,Alpines and full oversize Carhartt insulated overalls. Took about an hour, but the thing is out of the creek, water flowing normally :) The Alpines did rather well, my feet stayed dry and that Vibram sole does grip stuff pretty well. Will be testing it again
IMG_0216.jpeg
on ice/snow when the storm hits tonight.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of shots from my TS 19.2 purchases. Overall, I’m generally happy with how things turned out. I’m not thrilled with the execution on the Chili Strands and the medallion is pretty buried on my brown 5th Streets which is unfortunate. I was very lucky to pick up the shaved 5th Ave which came out the best of the three.

AE needs to be careful with these TS. I’m pretty forgiving when it comes to flaws on handmade shoes, but crooked and curvy caps, sloppy pinking and welt stitching that is mm from the outer edge is not a great look for what should be the showcase of their production. I’m glad they are doing these TS because it gives people like me the chance to pickup rare shell and I certainly want these shows to continue. Too much complaining and nitpicking isn’t helpful, so I’m not going to push too hard. However, AE can and in fact does do better and at $700 bucks a pop, they can tighten things up a smidge to make the best impression. I’ll still be in line for the next round with the hopes that the QC is a little better. If not, I’ll move on. Just my $0.02.

Just popping in so you know that you've been heard, and that I appreciate that feedback. Would you mind sending me photos of the areas you're concerned about on your Strands?

froyz25

Reaction score
I took your suggestion of Craigs list and found a Gerstner tool box. Too large for shoe stuff, but just right for my tools which I will be packing up for a move in a few months. I thought the $80 was a great buy.

View attachment 1299065 View attachment 1299066
I was trying to buy this from the same person and seems like I was just too late lol

AJ1

Reaction score
I share the same sentiment. My first TS experience was great however TS2 a little different. Was suggested I send them back to the factory so we will see what happens.

Last edited:

schweezly

Reaction score

glad I could help someone find those shaved 5ths. They look as good as I remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads