• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t exchange if they’re seconds. That’s pretty common stuff.
They are not seconds. They're "firsts", supposedly.
In that case, yes I’d probably return them. Did you order from the factory or go through an SA? I’d recommend giving Karina at the Paramus store or @ae_ashley at the N. Charleston store a call.

Actually, let me back up. I just went back and looked at your pictures again. It’s possible that I might keep those. I think I’d be a little more concerned with the Cigar Strands than the Walnut 5th Aves. Just based on the picture alone, I think some polish and patina may take care of those. But again, it’s hard for me to say without seeing them in person. I think I’d definitely be weighing the options though, if I were in your shoes. I’d still give Karina or @ae_ashley a call and get their guidance on it.

Edit: The cigar color is really nice. I’m putting that on my wish list.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case, yes I’d probably return them. Did you order from the factory or go through an SA? I’d recommend giving Karina at the Paramus store or @ae_ashley at the N. Charleston store a call.

Both orders were from online. I'll be returning them to my local SA (was told the have the 5ths in stock), and will ask him to work with me on the Strands so I don't have go keep going through this.

I tend to purchase AE in bulk, several pair at a single time. I recall the last bulk purchase was 2016ish and I went through no less than 3 exchanges for multiple pair. Frustrating. Maybe I just need to put something in the notes about not accepting non-1st quality shoes and ask to double visually inspect before shipping out.

I had posted a week or two ago in this thread asking if AE had solved their quality issue and several posters chimed in saying they had turned the corner....these four pair making me think otherwise. Same old AE.

Edit: I swear AE ships out what they know to be 2nds quality for 1sts orders hoping Joe Schmo wont notice (and probably doesn't). They take their chances and hope they don't run in to guys like us who will return 10 times to get something acceptable. Would save them a heap of return/shipping money if they knew who won't accept anything less than 98% vs. the guy buying one pair for an event who wouldn't know an AE from a Steve Madden.

Last edited:

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both orders were from online. I'll be returning them to my local SA (was told the have the 5ths in stock), and will ask him to work with me on the Strands so I don't have go keep going through this.

I tend to purchase AE in bulk, several pair at a single time. I recall the last bulk purchase was 2016ish and I went through no less than 3 exchanges for multiple pair. Frustrating. Maybe I just need to put something in the notes about not accepting non-1st quality shoes and ask to double visually inspect before shipping out.

I had posted a week or two ago in this thread asking if AE had solved their quality issue and several posters chimed in saying they had turned the corner....these four pair making me think otherwise. Same old AE.
Sounds like you’ve got the right idea. As for the quality, IDK. I can see your point. But on the other hand, I got a near flawless pair of loafers this week and a bunch of guys on here bought tons of pairs of shell from trunk shows this year that look crazy good. Maybe there’s some luck involved, not sure. But I know one thing, good SA’s always work with you to make it right. I once went through 3 or 4 pairs of Strandmok’s with the same problem. It’s been so long now I don’t remember exactly how many it took, but it all worked out.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you’ve got the right idea. As for the quality, IDK. I can see your point. But on the other hand, I got a near flawless pair of loafers this week and a bunch of guys on here bought tons of pairs of shell from trunk shows this year that look crazy good. Maybe there’s some luck involved, not sure. But I know one thing, good SA’s always work with you to make it right. I once went through 3 or 4 pairs of Strandmok’s with the same problem. It’s been so long now I don’t remember exactly how many it took, but it all worked out.

I would guess that AE knows they can't afford to alienate the trunkshow crowd, as they (we) are the ones that other look to as 'influencers'. If well dressed and respected men don't recommend AE shoes to joe schmo, he's going to take that advice. AE doesn't do trunk shoes to make money.

HCapLonghorn

Reaction score
Had a chance to finally meet Mr. Roycru today at the Bloke in Pasadena. They were having an interesting trunk show event. Roy and I talked a lot about Lake Balboa and other things related to the valley and LA. It was nice to finally meet him!

This store's owner was very polite and so were the sales people. They had a pretty nice selection of Alden shoes. One of the displays was an Indy boot in 8 D on the trubalance last. It was definitely wide with the thin socks I was wearing, but I think it would work okay with thicker winter socks. I'm thinking 8 C would fit me really well on the trubalance last.

Anyway, here are a few shots of a 9EEE vs 8D.

View attachment 1298809
View attachment 1298810
Funny, was in Pasadena this am- wish I could have joined

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had a chance to finally meet Mr. Roycru today at the Bloke in Pasadena. They were having an interesting trunk show event. Roy and I talked a lot about Lake Balboa and other things related to the valley and LA. It was nice to finally meet him!

This store's owner was very polite and so were the sales people. They had a pretty nice selection of Alden shoes. One of the displays was an Indy boot in 8 D on the trubalance last. It was definitely wide with the thin socks I was wearing, but I think it would work okay with thicker winter socks. I'm thinking 8 C would fit me really well on the trubalance last.

Anyway, here are a few shots of a 9EEE vs 8D.

View attachment 1298809
View attachment 1298810
Who was able to find the biggest cookie or pastry?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do people find the Lake Forest to run? For reference:

Randolph- 9.5d is snug everywhere but the instep is brutally low for me. 10d I’m swimming in

Cavanaugh - 9.5d is tight, 10d too loose

Sedona - 9.5 is a perfect fit for me. Suede helps the toe box stretch a little to accommodate toes

I think I tried a patriot in 10d that fit pretty well in the toebox/vamp, little heel slip though

Ever get a response on this? If not I'll take it.

You and I are similar....but different. Based upon that description I'd probably go with 9.5D on the Lake Forest but if you thought the Randolph was snug I'd be a little concerned. I *might* go 9.5E but then I'd be worried about heel slip.

I thought the Lake Forest was a good idea - it takes the Patriot and stretches it out, likely an attempt to ameliorate the fit issues reported with the Patriot. The heelcup feels identical. Important differences are that the length now resembles the Randolph (and most welts). The toebox still felt quite large to me but not as large as the Patriot. The vamp pain was totally gone. Since I already have two pairs of the best loafer ever (Presidio) I just never got into the Lake Forests since I don't have the closet space but for a high instep small heel person I think it's a great choice.

Here's me, fwiw:
Randolph - 7D feels wide and "big" all over and the instep is painful. 6.5D felt better in terms of room but the instep was insanely low

Cavanaugh - Similar deal as you - 7D was tight (vamp), 7.5D too loose

Sedona - never tried that but the 800 last tends to work better for me so no surprise

Patriot - Own 4 of those bastards. Out of the box the instep is almost as bad as the Randolph (7D) but it breaks in over time.

Other misc. suggestions:
1. I found the Cavanaugh in suede to be fine in 7D. You might try to get your hands on a suede if possible.
2. If you have that in-between sizes issue, let the poron help you out. The Nashua (with the padding) works for me in a 7.5D.
3. I think you'd have no trouble with the Palm Beach / Sarasota - those used extra soft / extra flexible leather than sort of clings to you where you need it but gives you a lot of flex at the vamp. For those I'd start 9.5D for sure.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No snow today so it is time for the Shell Dundee. Interestingly enough, I do not find Shell too hot for the summer and in fact, the cold seems to go right through the leather. YMMV.
363A2EBB-2F06-4FC2-A443-E3919DB2B470.jpeg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walnut Strands brushed up for a holiday thing tonight.

hWPhzOC.jpg

EviHm2i.jpg

YmaVKwD.jpg

RfGChvK.jpg

I hope everyone has a great weekend, as always!
Wow! Hopefully @ae_ashley can work these nattys into a future trunk show!

Instead, why not skip the online purchasing altogether and work with an SA who knows you and what you will accept right out of the gate?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Instead, why not skip the online purchasing altogether and work with an SA who knows you and what you will accept right out of the gate?
This is the best path to acceptable shoes. Unless of course you are “ruler guy”.

CMT1

Reaction score
Wow! Hopefully @ae_ashley can work these nattys into a future trunk show!

Highly unlikely, sadly.

I was fortunate enough to meet Paul Grangaard at the Palo Alto store opening in 2017. I was wearing my Strands and he commented that he had just worn his to his daughter's wedding that past summer, and we talked at length about the walnut shell Strands and Daltons that released at the same time in late 2013. There were serious problems with color uniformity and Horween refused to continue making the color, which is why it's never showed up again.

It's a shame they couldn't get the color right. None of my other shells display quite the level of color variance depending on the light. While everything is relatively uniform in bright light, sometimes indoors the hue varies so greatly per panel that I've had people ask if they are spectators:

ReSCPga.jpg

Pics before heading out last night, where the reddish, almost Color #4 tones that they've developed can be seen pretty well:

BGC3lEm.jpg

ndFPoW8.jpg

4LdGZzE.jpg

They are my favorite "fun" brown bals and to the point where I sold my dark brown shell Strands due to never reaching for them over the walnuts.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you live in or near a major city I would recommend searching "wooden box" and "wood box" on craigslist.

I could not find anything at retail that would hold all my materials so I picked this up on CL (under $150 IIRC) and it works very well

I recognize that it is insane to have something like this but I trust nobody ITT will be throwing stones.

I took your suggestion of Craigs list and found a Gerstner tool box. Too large for shoe stuff, but just right for my tools which I will be packing up for a move in a few months. I thought the $80 was a great buy.

E32E0ECF-A556-40F2-8077-9A20A4A7FB5D.jpeg
04B757A0-DCF0-43A0-8D34-E3BEC2BEF21F.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads