• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like to ask you about this kind of stuff because you can provide some perspective that I definitely wouldn't have considered.

1. The Surrey is still running at the same price as most other boots like the HM. Why? At least in my opinion it's way inferior - construction, materials used, etc. I don't understand this.
2. I was actually trying to figure out why the Alpine was being sold cheaper than the Surrey...until I saw it in person, lol. These were pretty crappy. You try one on yet?
3. I have been wondering why they continued to produce the Nomads in the USA and the Surrey in the DR. Well, at least they "fixed" that, lol. But why do they keep the Nomad prices so high if they're entry level?
4. Why do you think they eliminated absolutely everything in the loud colors and now everything is basically tan or gray. They didn't sell at all? I heard they were re-releasing the Jingle Bell Mok & Santa Mok but that's it.
5. Why do the collaborations with JA, not stock the shoes in the stores and not have sizes? Isn't this doomed to fail?
6. Why the Wanderer - compared to the Wilbert & even the Voyager it just looks and feels like crap.
7. I guess they got one thing right - wiping all that cemented Italian stuff off the face of the earth and sticking to tried-and-true formula - the bastard child of the Firenze & Verona known as the DaVinci.
Santa Mok? Really? If they are bringing it back and not just the Jingle Bell, I'm down for one! I find it odd to have an unlined shoe as the Christmas shoe and a lined shoe on dainite as the 4th of July shoe.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair, simply for the waterproof-ness.Your assessment is fairly correct. I would not buy another pair, and if the waterproof doesn't work, may not buy any more AE. I posted about them, but tried to be nicer than "pretty crappy" but that is a good description.

How about this - a big letdown; a brand new MiUSA collection that was advertised as both weatherproof and that used a new state of the art Vibram ice-gripping sole. But in reality, a mediocre-looking platform, made of a very stiff, plastic-like cheap looking hard low quality leather with Vibram outsoles that, while rigid, also turned out to be cardboard thin.

You like that better? I don't like being too mean, lol.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about this - a big letdown; a brand new MiUSA collection that was advertised as both weatherproof and that used a new state of the art Vibram ice-gripping sole. But in reality, a mediocre-looking platform, made of a very stiff, plastic-like cheap looking hard low quality leather with Vibram outsoles that, while rigid, also turned out to be cardboard thin.

You like that better? I don't like being too mean, lol.
I'd say that is an accurate description, but hey, if they really are waterproof and do actually grip on ice, for my purpose (snow on driveway) they will be ok. Have no intention of using them otherwise.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Surrey fits me pretty well, better than the Higgins so I've been waiting for them to come down. I'm only interested in a black captoe. Anytime you make a leather shoe weather/water resistant I think that will make the leather feel cheaper. The other option is to go waxed like they did with the HM and McTavish.

I do feel it's well past time for the Surrey to come down in price, the current sale on the Derby is very nice but the captoe at $295 isn't. Same as the HM and Strand boot.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Surrey fits me pretty well, better than the Higgins so I've been waiting for them to come down. I'm only interested in a black captoe. Anytime you make a leather shoe weather/water resistant I think that will make the leather feel cheaper. The other option is to go waxed like they did with the HM and McTavish.

I do feel it's well past time for the Surrey to come down in price, the current sale on the Derby is very nice but the captoe at $295 isn't. Same as the HM and Strand boot.
I actually wear the Surrey with n a half-size smaller than HM

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not quite accurate.

More like they offer to throw in some sugar.
I was going to say diesel but that ********** engine up right away.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Thought you might be interested to see the new Mahogany color "in the wild". :)

Attachments

• IMG_20191004_165050726.jpg
    IMG_20191004_165050726.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20191004_165120193.jpg
    IMG_20191004_165120193.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20191004_165251213.jpg
    IMG_20191004_165251213.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20191004_165303751.jpg
    IMG_20191004_165303751.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20191004_165510428.jpg
    IMG_20191004_165510428.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 48

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like to ask you about this kind of stuff because you can provide some perspective that I definitely wouldn't have considered.

1. The Surrey is still running at the same price as most other boots like the HM. Why? At least in my opinion it's way inferior - construction, materials used, etc. I don't understand this.
2. I was actually trying to figure out why the Alpine was being sold cheaper than the Surrey...until I saw it in person, lol. These were pretty crappy. You try one on yet?
3. I have been wondering why they continued to produce the Nomads in the USA and the Surrey in the DR. Well, at least they "fixed" that, lol. But why do they keep the Nomad prices so high if they're entry level?
4. Why do you think they eliminated absolutely everything in the loud colors and now everything is basically tan or gray. They didn't sell at all? I heard they were re-releasing the Jingle Bell Mok & Santa Mok but that's it.
5. Why do the collaborations with JA, not stock the shoes in the stores and not have sizes? Isn't this doomed to fail?
6. Why the Wanderer - compared to the Wilbert & even the Voyager it just looks and feels like crap.
7. I guess they got one thing right - wiping all that cemented Italian stuff off the face of the earth and sticking to tried-and-true formula - the bastard child of the Firenze & Verona known as the DaVinci.
1. The Surrey is harder to make with the sealed seam construction. And they are selling a feature.
2. I have not tried the Alpine yet.
3. It gets back to selling a feature. If you have problem feet and the feather welt fixes it. You will pony up the doe.
5. Because it is a collaboration, you cannot even buy through AE. But being on the AE website gives the shoe much more exposure.
Skipped 4 because Marketing.
6. That Wanderer sells. Customers have been asking for light weight and supportive, even if it looks like crap.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey guys! Thought you might be interested to see the new Mahogany color "in the wild". :)
That color will likely make me buy a shoe that is too dressy for what I wear.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Lou's

don't fall the for the other tourist traps.

Lou's is fantastic.

Gino's East is a close second as their thick crust is amazing with a buttery(?) taste.

Whenever we visit friends on Chicago we make it a point to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMFrancis