• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By a show of hands, who is most likely going to attend the Costa Mesa/NY location? Just curious. I'm excited to meet you guys!
I'd put my odds of being able to travel to Costa Mesa at around 15%. Desire to be there at 100%.

WNovizar

Reaction score
So how about this:

You guys will have to work with a store, but you can now put a JR sole on any welted style.

Done and done.

(Puts magic wand away)
That's nice and all, but can it be done for free if I buy Higgins Mill Burgundy Shell Cordovan?

jnik

Reaction score
So I'm waffling between the navy and green shell Macneils. I think I'm leaving toward the navy as I believe they are more versatile. Though, I am having trouble coming up with a pairing that works with navy and not with green. And green pairs better with denim. Thoughts here?

WNovizar

Reaction score
Just watched a video tour of the JR Redenbach factory and learned that JR soles are water-resistant. Which is interesting because at the same time it seems many here refrain from exposing their shell uppers to rain. So, perhaps it even makes more sense to have JR soles available for cowhide and calf leather shoes?
I concur, JR is water-resistant. I noticed the difference that for some reason I still have the fine grip even walking on puddle or wet floor. JR is that awesome

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I'm waffling between the navy and green shell Macneils. I think I'm leaving toward the navy as I believe they are more versatile. Though, I am having trouble coming up with a pairing that works with navy and not with green. And green pairs better with denim. Thoughts here?
You will just have to get both and try them with your wardrobe. Then post results. Don’t do it for yourself, do it for science.

ptfly

Reaction score
Btw, on the shoebank, im looking at the navy Strand. While not shell, it would free me to choose something in Chili for the trunk show.
Matching the AE website, the Shoebank must mean Midnight Navy, right?

The midnight navy is darker and even in shade while I believe the navy on the SB are the lighter navy. The 5AVe midnight navy on clearance is a steal. I wear that shoe a lot at work.
The firsts on clearance in midnight navy might be a better deal if they have your size.
I too am thinking of forcing my hand with another midnight navy calf at a good price making me focus on green and/or chili shell.

mastakebob

Reaction score
I think it's clear that anyone getting a shaved cordovan should be getting a Dundee or HM. Objectively ideal for those models. Just burned my reserves on solar panels so it likely won't be me.

Brought the Maritimes on vacation to sunny socal. I regret not getting the green and red Maritimes for $60 off the 'bank last year when they were flush with 'em. Bonus likes to anyone who knows what pier I'm on.
rps20190821_180126.jpg

michaeliany

Reaction score
In for Costa Mesa.
I work like 10min away from South Coast Plaza.
Looks like there will be a good showing there.
Ill be there around 4pm and im down to meet up and buy shell early.
Ill be there for the event too and after for dinner/drinks - might as well wait out traffic.

@ProfilaBinding @ptfly - i like the lighter navy color off the shoebank too. Some have posted the midnight navy here and i do prefer regular navy although i fear that both AE website and shoebank are actually the same shoe.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's clear that anyone getting a shaved cordovan should be getting a Dundee or HM. Objectively ideal for those models. Just burned my reserves on solar panels so it likely won't be me.

Brought the Maritimes on vacation to sunny socal. I regret not getting the green and red Maritimes for $60 off the 'bank last year when they were flush with 'em. Bonus likes to anyone who knows what pier I'm on.
View attachment 1227839
Or Leeds or Bayfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads