• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chili has some red tones in it, but I've had times where there was very little difference once applied between chili and natural. Depends on the raw leather and how much it darkens. I've had some that stays very light with neutral and some that darkens to that color or darker...
I have sanded down quite a few edges to bare leather and refinished them with AE chili dressing and neutral wax. Different leathers will pull a bit lighter or darker but they all look pretty much the same.
20180513_122446.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

goalaso

Reaction score
I have sanded down quite a few edges to bare leather and refinished them with AE chili dressing and neutral wax. Different leathers will pull a bit lighter or darker but they all look pretty much the same.
View attachment 1227161
Hm, this is interesting. So just to be clear, and establish the feasibility (as much as the possibility) of doing this: if the buff edge in this TS is in fact without any coating, then it is effectively the bare leather already sanded down. So all you'd have to do is apply that linked AE chili edge and heel dressing (which is presumably just an alcohol-based leather dye?), let it soak in, and then if you want, apply some neutral wax over it? And viola? It seems too easy.
@savvysartorial points out that taping the uppers might be necessary to get to the actual welt, which might look strange if it remained buff next to the now chili edge. Realistically, how feasible is this to do as an individual at home? Because it seems challenging to also dye the welt without getting some of the leather or not fully dying the welt. Resources I've found (see below) only deal with the edge. And given the name AE "edge and heel" dressing, would the welt even take it up evenly, with the stitching and whatnot?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm, this is interesting. So just to be clear, and establish the feasibility (as much as the possibility) of doing this: if the buff edge in this TS is in fact without any coating, then it is effectively the bare leather already sanded down. So all you'd have to do is apply that linked AE chili edge and heel dressing (which is presumably just an alcohol-based leather dye?), let it soak in, and then if you want, apply some neutral wax over it? And viola? It seems too easy.
@savvysartorial points out that taping the uppers might be necessary to get to the actual welt, which might look strange if it remained buff next to the now chili edge. Realistically, how feasible is this to do as an individual at home? Because it seems challenging to also dye the welt without getting some of the leather or not fully dying the welt. Resources I've found (see below) only deal with the edge. And given the name AE "edge and heel" dressing, would the welt even take it up evenly, with the stitching and whatnot?

I believe it's been done (by someone here), but with a steady hand. The edge will be super easy; getting the dressing to apply to the top of the welt will be harder and will almost certainly require painter's tape on the shoe itself.

michaeliany

Reaction score
I keep going back to this post.
At first, i was always going to go Strand but now i may have to get 2 pair bc these are just so fn awesome.
I imagine a lot of us keep going back and forth and all over the place.
How easy it would be to just order everything.
Right now im thinking one shoe (strand vs macneil) and one boot (totally openminded here).
And because chili is new, im thinking one chili and the other navy.
Still undecided on the other options as well hahaha. For example, the redenbach is just luxurious. But it makes so much sense to VTread it.

In fantasyland exercising “some” restraint, id go:
Brown Higgins Mill with Dainite.
Green Bayfield with Redenbach.
Chili Fifth Street with VTread.
Navy Dalton with Commando.
Brown MacNeils with VTread, flat welt, antique edge.
Navy Strand with Redenbach, split reverse welt, buff edge.
Green Fifth Ave with VTread,, flat and antique.

Im gonna hit up the Costa Mesa store next week once the kids start school and get properly fitted for all options.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fantasyland exercising “some” restraint, id go:
Brown Higgins Mill with Dainite.

No need to go with this one for the TS as it appears to be a standard cordovan offering from AE now. Brown or burgundy cordovan with Dainite is now available off the site:

So, the plus side is that now you can spend a little more time in fantasyland putting together something else. Maybe a navy HM?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe color matching question:

Thoughts on the first and third fabrics? The first (far left) is a brown plaid; the third is an olive plaid with a very subtle pattern. All are 100% wool men's slacks.

Would all colors of shoes go with both fabrics? I.e. black shell, burgundy shell(#8), brown shell, cigar shell, bourbon shell, and potentially chili?

Pants.jpg

Bonus: black shell Park Avenue on my feet! ;)

pbrandes

Reaction score
You have peaked my curiousity. What's the difference between Leeds 1 and Leeds 2, again? Feel like I should know this...

Both are on the 511, but the Leeds 2.0 have the poron padded footbed and are lasted looser to compensate for the extra space taken up by the foam. Leeds 1.0 in shell have the double JR leather sole and leather/cork footbed, which molds over time to the shape of your foot. So, other than the shell upper, the differences will be mainly in fit.

If redundancy is still a concern, consider that different color laces can further distinguish the two shoes. In the example below, having walnut Bartletts and natty shell Strands on hand saves me the onerous task of manually swapping laces to obtain two different looks:

Bartlett 2 crop.jpg

IMG_3375.JPG

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Both are on the 511, but the Leeds 2.0 have the poron padded footbed and are lasted looser to compensate for the extra space taken up by the foam. Leeds 1.0 in shell have the double JR leather sole and leather/cork footbed, which molds over time to the shape of your foot. So, other than the shell upper, the differences will be mainly in fit.

If redundancy is still a concern, consider that different color laces can further distinguish the two shoes. In the example below, having walnut Bartletts and natty shell Strands on hand saves me the onerous task of manually swapping laces to obtain two different looks:

View attachment 1227171

View attachment 1227172

Got it, thanks. Are/were the TS shoes on the Leeds 2.0 poron sole? Now I REALLY feel like I should know this since I have a pair but have only worn them a few times and didnt think to study them closely in this regard. I dont recall them feeling super cushy or anything but they do seem to fit me a bit better.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's all leather. They paint the welt with the same edge dressing. I've used colored wax (not edge dressing) as well. It's not difficult in my eyes, but if you don't have a steady hand or are bad at applying painter's tape to protect the uppers it might be more trouble than worth. You can always take it to a local shop.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shoe color matching question:

Thoughts on the first and third fabrics? The first (far left) is a brown plaid; the third is an olive plaid with a very subtle pattern. All are 100% wool men's slacks.

Would all colors of shoes go with both fabrics? I.e. black shell, burgundy shell(#8), brown shell, cigar shell, bourbon shell, and potentially chili?

View attachment 1227170

Bonus: black shell Park Avenue on my feet! ;)
Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads