• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WIAWT
F32E7BB8-811B-4A1C-B02C-CBB845EAD67A.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This may simply be additional evidence that I have become an irascible old fart, but the shaved/marbled shell reminds me of pre-distressed jeans.
I have always looked at patina as the way a shoe tells it's own unique story. The heel rash which was the result of actually owning a manual car. The brushes and dings from dancing at a wedding or two. The color pallet unique to how you polish and care for your shoes.
This is, of course, simply my opinion. And I have been known to be wrong on many an occasion.
Give me some shoes as perfect as you can make them. I'll take care of the patina.
I have too many shoes and am not clumsy enough to acquire patina fast enough. :p

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought that I would bring out the Shell Leeds today for some Trunk show musings. There seems to be a few styles on the 511 on the upcoming TS2019.2. The size that I go with in the 511 seems to be a bit different depending on Style. With the Leeds I went with 9C. My usual 9.5B was usually tight on the instep. With the Dundee the 9.5B is a great fit all the way around. Have any of you guys experienced this with the 511 Last. In case anyone was wondering, I tried the Leeds in both sizes in Shell on multiple pairs with same result. Calf Leeds in calf were also tight in the standard Leeds and miserable on the 2.0.
View attachment 1226986
What experiences have you guys had with the 511 Last?
My normal 13b is a very good fit on the Dundee, and good with tongue pads on the Bradley.

I had assumed that the Leeds will fit like the Bradley, but if Leeds is a bit more snug that would not disappoint me (flat footer here).
Natty shell w chili edges?
Is AE offering a chili edge for the TS2?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My normal 13b is a very good fit on the Dundee, and good with tongue pads on the Bradley.

I had assumed that the Leeds will fit like the Bradley, but if Leeds is a bit more snug that would not disappoint me (flat footer here).

Natty shell w chili edges?
Is AE offering a chili edge for the TS2?
Yup! Order the buff edge and some chili edge dressing. (Some assembly may be required) ;D

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edit: weird preview text but it's the pics of the accidental green shell Dalton.

wOw those are amazing!

Uh oh...

Guys, is this too wide of a gap?
View attachment 1226696
(Love the grey St. John’s!)
Here is why I ask...this is a 9D on the 65 - it felt comfortable. This may prove to be detrimental if I can wear a 9D...please tell me it is too wide. I also tried a Boulevard in 9D - same last, but it was way to tight in the waist. Makes me wonder...

Also took the time to do some additional reconnaissance - trainers. Hmm...jury is out.
View attachment 1226697
View attachment 1226698

The new Strandmok with olive Dainite
View attachment 1226700
View attachment 1226701
View attachment 1226702

The McTavish - is that a waxy brown? Looks cool.
View attachment 1226704
View attachment 1226703

But my favorite...hornback croc belt...I may not be able to hold back on this one...if only I could find a ridiculous price like someone else on here... these are beautiful.
View attachment 1226699

Gap looks wide to me, but it will narrow as the cork breaks in. If it fits elsewhere you may have to stick with it. I guess you just have a massive instep.

You'd probably be a GREAT candidate for Alden's Hampton last like the good doctor.
They're a pre-production model that never happened. Sonorans, 1757 last.

That just shows how close they are. The chukkas have a more glossy finish while the Leeds are less shiny as they don't have the clear edge dressing. Each individual piece of leather can be a slightly lighter or darker tone as shown on the Leeds

Nice! Did our favorite SAs drag that up for you?

They made them in the past:

View attachment 1226825

Note: The Mojave 2.0 (below) had a leather sole and a flat welt:

View attachment 1226828
View attachment 1226829

MMM those are good. I really like the flat welt; really gives it a sleek, clean look.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In anticipation of chili coming out later this week, I started my day off with some bourbon.

View attachment 1227065

Gosh, those are amazing. The patina really looks like it's coming through. Variation in panels is GREAT.

Were your toes burnished when you got them? They don't look burnished now at all.

Yup! Order the buff edge and some chili edge dressing. (Some assembly may be required) ;D

Interesting, homemade chili?? What exactly is chili?

If I'm going for a more formal shoe, you think translucent brown with chili shell is better (read subtle) than chili on chili?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gosh, those are amazing. The patina really looks like it's coming through. Variation in panels is GREAT.

Were your toes burnished when you got them? They don't look burnished now at all.

Interesting, homemade chili?? What exactly is chili?

If I'm going for a more formal shoe, you think translucent brown with chili shell is better (read subtle) than chili on chili?
The chili edge is a reddish brown; many Alden guys use the chili dressing to clean up their antique edges.

The brown is definitely darker and more subtle/ formal

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The chili edge is a reddish brown; many Alden guys use the chili dressing to clean up their antique edges.

The brown is definitely darker and more subtle/ formal

Came across this which was labeled chili

I've used AE's natural edge dressing with success on antique. It doesn't change the color at all and seems to cover up scuffs.

Is there a difference?

Thinking about a chili Fifth Street with translucent brown. The chili welt would really make the boot stand out and I would mainly wear under nice slacks and maybe a suit. Probably not what I am going for...

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1227146

I've used AE's natural edge dressing with success on antique. It doesn't change the color at all and seems to cover up scuffs.

Is there a difference?

Thinking about a chili Fifth Street with translucent brown. The chili welt would really make the boot stand out and I would mainly wear under nice slacks and maybe a suit. Probably not what I am going for...
Chili has some red tones in it, but I've had times where there was very little difference once applied between chili and natural. Depends on the raw leather and how much it darkens. I've had some that stays very light with neutral and some that darkens to that color or darker...

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
If yours are the Leeds 2.0 with poron, the brown shell Leeds 1.0 aren't even the same shoe. But even if they were, you'd still need both. (Were you really expecting a different answer when you posted the question?)

View attachment 1227150

You have peaked my curiousity. What's the difference between Leeds 1 and Leeds 2, again? Feel like I should know this...

goalaso

Reaction score

View attachment 1227146

Is there a difference?

Yes, this. Can one apply some sort of "chili" AE edge dressing to a natural or buff edge and get this Alden antique edge color more or less, as in the photograph? On the AE site, I see this: https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoe-c...MI2pnMp4uS5AIVcRh9Ch00-gTLEAQYASABEgKcRfD_BwE

Is that what you'd use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads