• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't have a reliable metric for what gets worn most because I track last day since worn so when anything approaches 50 days its in que to wear basically. Aside from my JBM everything is within 1 wear of each other for any given time period. I know what my most worn pair all time is but that doesn't really say much other than I've had them the longest.
Agreed. That's why I decided to start looking at wears per month because things get skewed with longer owned items as well as them being brand new and getting extra wears up front.
I try to make a good pass at my rotation as well, but I do tend to hit some pairs like loafers more than once a month in the hot of the summer (rewearing before some others get their wear in)

I'm trying to decide now how to handle my sold pairs. I probably need to just drop all this extra data and maybe just keep the model and size stored on a separate "sold" page or something, or just completely purge them from my spreadsheet altogether. Getting rid of them does affect my totals calcs where I look at total invested and net after sales. Totally unnecessary other than reminding me of my personal insanity.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bourbon shell MacNeils. I worry that chili shell will be too close in color and too much of a duplication. We will see.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. That's why I decided to start looking at wears per month because things get skewed with longer owned items as well as them being brand new and getting extra wears up front.
I try to make a good pass at my rotation as well, but I do tend to hit some pairs like loafers more than once a month in the hot of the summer (rewearing before some others get their wear in)
View attachment 1226473
I'm trying to decide now how to handle my sold pairs. I probably need to just drop all this extra data and maybe just keep the model and size stored on a separate "sold" page or something, or just completely purge them from my spreadsheet altogether. Getting rid of them does affect my totals calcs where I look at total invested and net after sales. Totally unnecessary other than reminding me of my personal insanity.
Mine is setup a bit differently (I also don't have all the spec info listed) so I am able to move the sold pairs from the active wear area but I still have how many times I wore them etc. I didn't bother putting the prices in. I don't really want to know honestly. Too much that is for sure. Even just counting up shell only pairs just from AE is more than I care to admit. The good news is that I have slowed my purchase pace way down. Bad news is... I wanted shaved shell and probably chili. So that is anywhere between 1-3 pairs. Starting to think I have too much in the way of natural/whiskey shell but every time I go to sell a pair of shell I ultimately don't do it.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bourbon shell MacNeils. I worry that chili shell will be too close in color and too much of a duplication. We will see.

View attachment 1226477
I'm betting it's different enough...I'm expecting a more reddish brown than golden color.
Mine is setup a bit differently (I also don't have all the spec info listed) so I am able to move the sold pairs from the active wear area but I still have how many times I wore them etc. I didn't bother putting the prices in. I don't really want to know honestly. Too much that is for sure. Even just counting up shell only pairs just from AE is more than I care to admit. The good news is that I have slowed my purchase pace way down. Bad news is... I wanted shaved shell and probably chili. So that is anywhere between 1-3 pairs. Starting to think I have too much in the way of natural/whiskey shell but every time I go to sell a pair of shell I ultimately don't do it.
Yeah, totally understand! I think it's more of an idle mind adding these extra things in for the "fun" of it.
I'm putting as much of a hold on purchasing as I can, so I'm waiting to see sample to make the call if I'm in for chili and shaved or just one. Definitely getting something, but not doing six at one time again!

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These bourbon shell HMs have been my most-worn pair over the last six months or so.
What is your most-worn pair?
View attachment 1226444
Navy/Brown Boulders
(followed closely by the Brown CXL Higgins Mills and the Walnut Mackenzies)
(Disclaimer: I only really started tracking wears a few weeks ago; this list is based on pics on my phone since early April.)

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patriots today. I really love the color of these grey linen OTC socks (they wear really cool as well - my feet feel drafty right now), but so much of my summer stuff is brown tones I don't grab for them as much as the brown pairs. I need to change that.
View attachment 1226486
Nice! Patriots are my most worn pair.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These bourbon shell HMs have been my most-worn pair over the last six months or so.

In what should come as zero surprise, my most worn pair is the brown CXL Higgins Mill (21 wears in the last 6 months), followed closely by the brown CXL Alden Indy 405 (20), and the burgundy shell Higgins Mill from TS2019.1 (20).

Ever since I've switched over to a mostly boot rotation in 2018, the wear list has become very top-heavy. I've got 10 different pairs with at least 10 wears in 2019. The only shoes on that list are the natty CXL Maritimes and the chili Macneils.

I regret none of this. None.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I attach a thread I made from 2016.

I completely understand your comments as AE has made a large number of split toes over the years and currently has several. After looking closely at the toes I began to appreciate the subtle variations in assembly, sole, length of split and style of welt that pushes one shoe into the dressier category and another towards the casual. The Stockbridge is a good example of the more casual. It has exposed leather edges on the split and vamp stitching and rubber soles for a far more casual appearance.

The Ashton is remarkably similar, yet some would argue it is even more causal. While the vamp is stitched down as opposed to exposed, the joint in the split is still exposed. More importantly, the storm last is double stitched for a far more rugged and causal appearance. The sole is still rubber as opposed to leather.

The Malone is still quite causal with a rubber sole, and double stitched welt. The internally joined split toe joint is accompanied by a very delicate vamp seam that is machine closed. This is a faux version of the hand stitch seen later in the Bradley.

The Walton starts to move up the casual scale towards dressier. The split toe seam is no longer exposed as it is joined internally. The vamp is sewn down with three rows of stitching as opposed to two. The sole is a single oak leather, but it is still a storm welt without the double stitch into the side of the shoe.

The LeSalle is getting dressier with the single oak sole, standard welt, internally joined split toe and attractive second row of vamp and split toe stitching.

The Bradley has a prominent line of stitching in the vamp and split toe. This double stitching is actually going through the single layer as opposed to closing a joint. This can be done with a machine, but some companies like Alden, do this by hand at 4.5 stitches per inch. I am not aware which method is used by AE. It is common in some cordovan shoes, but also used in calf.

The length of the split toe stitch and profile of the toe adds to the dressier style of the shoe. It seems longer split toe seams are seen in dressier shoes, like the Delray.

The length of the split toe stitch, along with hand stitching, is a hallmark of some of the far more expensive shoes. A good example is the toe of this $1500 Sutor Mantellassi loafer.

Unfortunately, the Dickson is an example of AEs failure to self edit in the split toe length department, with fairly horrid results.

So, those seem to be the variables and now you will have far more to consider when selecting several pairs of split toe shoes for the closet. And you likely never wanted to think this much about the subject.

Very interesting and thank you for your informative compilation.
In and of themselves the details are interesting not to mention the sometimes only subtle differences from shoe to shoe. And the wonderful close-ups and your interpretations illustrate how the components of each style develop its unique character and what look it is trying to convey.
Or put another way, the split-toe style is not as simple as it may seem! Or is that seam? Ha. Ha.

Last edited:

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would any of you mind participating in a bit of a poll?

1. What split-payment services have you used? If you've used them, with which retailers have you used them?

2. Which split-payment providers have you heard of?

Not that this would get anyone in even more trouble come a trunk show or anything...lol.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1226477
The only chili shell that makes sense to me is something like a garnet with black introduced. A bit like Oxblood but with a more rusty base instead of a pink base.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would any of you mind participating in a bit of a poll?

1. What split-payment services have you used? If you've used them, with which retailers have you used them?

2. Which split-payment providers have you heard of?

Not that this would get anyone in even more trouble come a trunk show or anything...lol.

1. I once used my debit and credit card to pay for a pair of AE shoes, and for a guitar.

2. AE and Guitar Center are the only two companies I've split a payment with.

My most worn pair since I reseted my counter in May, has been the Leeds 2.0 in walnut. 7 wears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads