• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MansardRoof

Reaction score

Boone update: I ordered a 9.5D to replace the 10's that were too large. Much better! The throat opening is no longer sloshing around my ankles. I can feel the length difference, but the toe box on the 1757 last is very generous, so it's fine.

This is the suede shoe I really wanted, so I may have to make my first shoe departure: the stone suede McGregors.

The Boone is a great shoe but I can't wait for the red sole to wear out so I can get it recrafted with leather.

FaRKle

Reaction score

I was just thinking the same thing - If I'd known these was the tone, I might have gotten a pair of Cambridges too!

@FaRKle
 - I assume these were chili welt/sole edge?

Sharp eye. Yup, chili welt. It's definitely a darker shade than my natural dundees from a couple years back.

@farkle I don't know why anyone isn't commenting on the ring, but congrats man!

Also, those Strands are stunning. Part of me regrets not ordering natty shell Strands or MacNeils, but the other part of me knows that realistically I couldn't afford them in light of all my other shoe (and clothing, for that matter) purchases

Thanks! I'm sure if the ring had a shell band it'd get more comments. Would've saved me a bit of money too, haha.

The ring could have been used for shell? *shrug*

Joking of course, or am I?

Well a wedding gives me an opportunity/excuse to buy another pair of shell shoes, right?

Come to think of it, another member here's getting married in a month. I should get new shoes for it. Haha

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@freshstyle Main difference is one is primarily served at breakfast, the other at dinner.

@SLCRich whatever happens on those, take it really slow. I wound up with a pretty bad bunion on my right big toe joint that bothers me every day now. If you feel like that's ever coming on, give em a rest and switch over to another pair. The IR material was definitely softer/more flexible than the Beckman from what I remember.

Last edited:

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score

+1. I was told Monday that my uppers were made and ready to get their sole. Ready next week and then shipped. It's really ridiculous. I have received three new pair of Cordovan shoes in the last seven days and I'm disappointed that the natty MacNails have not shipped. So today, I worn black shell perfect cap toe balmorals. Sorry, but I have a hard time spoilering on the iPad.
I've received nary a word on either of my shoes - I need to develop a better relationship with my SA. Also: three shell shoes in a week? You shall elicit no sympathy from me that AE hasn't shipped your shoes, good sir - only envy at your haul (those V-tips are sweet).

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SLCRich Funny to hear you compare those 875s to the Dalton. I tried the 875, IR & Beckman. Don't remember much about the 875 - the salesguy said he would recommend the Beckman the least of all due to the extreme breakin required, how I wouldn't be able to handle it, etc. Needless to say, the Beckman was an instant purchase, but **** was he not kidding. I'd say the Dalton feels like Uggs compared to the Beckman. Wondering if the 875 would have been as rough. The pain almost came in waves - one week it would destroy my big toe joints, next week it would bruise all my toes, week afterwards it would crush my ankle bones like there was no tomorrow. But after 8 short weeks of wearing em 5 days a week they turned out great!

I damn near cut the gusset off the tongue on one of my Becken's after a couple of weeks the pain was so great on my ankle bone. Eventually they broke in to become like butter and now are so soft it is hard to believe they were ever anything but. When I travel to the Red Wing Clinic I usually take a rural route and go by the Featherstone town hall which is the name given to that leather. No other buildings around just an ancient little shack out in the middle of nowhere. And curse it every time over the memories LOL.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color is closer to the legendary "Walnut" shell from days past...

My first thought too, I would have ordered a second pair of "something" if I would had known that. My 3 Walnut shell pieces have all become fairly dark so it is nice to kind of start over again.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sharp eye. Yup, chili welt. It's definitely a darker shade than my natural dundees from a couple years back.

Well I hope mine present that well. I love this color.

You and me both.

AAARRRGH !!!!!

I lied. Maybe it was because I was really tired last night and I was looking at FaRKle's shores just before crashing, but I tossed and turned and woke up a couple times thinking about natty shell Strands...

I need a new hobby...

Also looking forward to the MD chukkas (I ordered snuff and choco)

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@freshstyle, it looks like you have all three shades "covered," but I'd say brown since the recent batches are finished significantly darker than your brown Strands, which I'm assuming are at least a couple years old (one of those is brown and another bourbon, right?). After that I'd say oxblood, since it doesn't look like you have a direct match, but it's hard to tell from that photo.

I have the Fifth Ave in both brown and dark chili. Got damn but I love them in chili, but it might be duplicative with your Carlyles (different enough from McAs that it wouldn't stop me if that were your only pair of chili).

Last edited:

jec1521

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Looking to go to the Shoe Bank and purchase a pair of black shoes for my upcoming wedding. I will be wearing a midnight blue tuxedo. I know you are supposed to wear patent leather, but I am looking to get more utility out of whatever shoes I wear, so I figure a pair of black AE shoes highly polished will be fine.

The question is, Park Ave or Carlyle? I understand that the plain toe is more formal for black tie, but I will be using this shoe almost 100% for business with suits after the wedding. Will I regret not having the Park Ave cap toe for business after the wedding? Can I get away at my own wedding with wearing highly polished Park Avenues with a tux?

Also, unrelated question, but what does "Natty shell" mean? I have seen it in this thread multiple times and I am still new to the world of quality mens shoes.

Thanks

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, unrelated question, but what does "Natty shell" mean? I have seen it in this thread multiple times and I am still new to the world of quality mens shoes.

You can't go wrong with PA, but really either will work fine for your purposes.

Natty shell = natural shell cordovan = little or no dye added during tanning process.

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys,
Looking to go to the Shoe Bank and purchase a pair of black shoes for my upcoming wedding. I will be wearing a midnight blue tuxedo. I know you are supposed to wear patent leather, but I am looking to get more utility out of whatever shoes I wear, so I figure a pair of black AE shoes highly polished will be fine. 

The question is, Park Ave or Carlyle? I understand that the plain toe is more formal for black tie, but I will be using this shoe almost 100% for business with suits after the wedding. Will I regret not having the Park Ave cap toe for business after the wedding? Can I get away at my own wedding with wearing highly polished Park Avenues with a tux? 

Thanks

Given what you've said about future use as business wear, and assuming you have your size dialed in for each, get the PA's and start shining them up. And best wishes.

Oh, and "natty" shell is "natural," i.e. undyed shell.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks
I agree with @FatTuesday that for the purposes you just described they will both serve. The carlyle maybe fits more with the tux but thats all. Carlyle definitely will serve business suits as the PA will. Enjoy your wedding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads