• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score

Middle Management Cosplay (c)

Also: Test run of tan-now-walnut grain MacNeils on a very wet Thursday in DC:

They feel great. I'm ambivalent about the rubber sole (but not about "Rubber Soul" - it's a fantastic LP!), as the grooves on the side bug me. That said, it's been grippy on wet floors so I'll prolly wait a bit before deciding to replace. Really dig the light walnut color; I might hit the toe with a *smidge* of Saphir Light Brown wax later, to get a little shine and darkening.

Last edited:

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Updated my spread sheet today just to see what I've worn in the last 2 months and it seems pretty balanced between 1-2 with a few at 3 wearings. Given the rotation size and that I don't wear them much on weekends that works. Only pairs sitting at 0 are grey suede strandmoks, tan shakers, and unopened boxes. I hate to part with the shakers but they appear to be mostly a closet trophy having only been worn 2 times since September.....

Dang, that's gotta be a pretty huge rotation to be sitting at 1-2 wearings over the past 2 months. I've been tracking since late January and with a rotation of 9, (well, 11 actually but I'm not counting the black PAs or the Maritimes), there are some that get 2 wears in a week. I'm talking about you, Higgins Mill and Normandy. Twice a week most weeks until it gets too warm for boots.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bourbon Fifth Avenues today with green cords and university stripe OCBD. Not pictured: awesome Donegal tweed Ivy cap.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dang, that's gotta be a pretty huge rotation to be sitting at 1-2 wearings over the past 2 months. I've been tracking since late January and with a rotation of 9, (well, 11 actually but I'm not counting the black PAs or the Maritimes), there are some that get 2 wears in a week. I'm talking about you, Higgins Mill and Normandy. Twice a week most weeks until it gets too warm for boots. 

@donkeyhoatie the Higgins in my normal 12 D are comfortable, not sloppy fit. Been eyeing the Normandy which is that larger volume B 34 last. Overlords 201 last fit well in my 12D. What's your take on the Normandy? Been kicking it around that a 11.5 D may fit better. Appreciate your comments.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have ~34 pairs of shoes between AE (overwhelming majority), C&J, and Buday. I'd be hard pressed to wear them all out any time soon at the current rate of usage. I think its a relatively high number but it doesn't come close to some of the heavy hitters out there. There are several with more than that many in just shell alone. It definitely has me only buying what I really want now as I don't find myself with any gaps with exception of a nice loafer. The only pair I have with significant wear on the bottom is the walnut calf strand and honestly I doubt I'll recraft. Seems almost pointless when they can be had new from time to time around ~$240. If they were sentimental that'd be another story.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bourbon Fifth Avenues today with green cords and university stripe OCBD. Not pictured: awesome Donegal tweed Ivy cap.

Let's see that cap when you get a chance. I've gotten away from them over the years. Thanks.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maritimes today. Back from knee surgery. Hoping SWMBO's sympathy carries over when I drop another pair of shells on her.

That's our other Golden, Cooper keeping an eye on me. He's a truly wonderful buddy.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@donkeyhoatie the Higgins in my normal 12 D are comfortable, not sloppy fit. Been eyeing the Normandy which is that larger volume B 34 last. Overlords 201 last fit well in my 12D. What's your take on the Normandy? Been kicking it around that a 11.5 D may fit better. Appreciate your comments.

Funny you should mention the Normandy, since I'm wearing mine today.

I'm between 11.5 D and 12 D. Closer to the 11.5 spectrum. I've got the HM in an 11.5 D and it fits great. If I switch to thick, wool socks, it's not quite as great. But, for anything medium-weight or less, I have zero complaints.

The Normandy has a TON of toe box space, and feels like it has a little more length than the HM, although that may just be the toe box whispering sweet nothings to me. I've it in an 11.5 D as well, and even with really thick wool socks on, it's got space. I could have, and probably should have, gone down to an 11 D on them. So, If you're good in a 12 on HM, you're probably spot-on with going to an 11.5 D on the Normandy. Keep in mind that the Normandy is unlined, so that's part of the reason they seem to have way more volume. Also, the Normandy is ridiculously comfortable. It's not as good-looking as the HM, but that comfort factor really bumps it up a couple notches.

It really is a great boot, provided you understand its makeup going in. While it looks like an outdoorsy/do-everything boot, it's really not set up for really cold weather or really bad winter conditions. There's no lug sole, and no lining, so you lose traction and warmth. But, it has a double-oak sole, so puddles aren't a huge concern outside of being slippery once you get inside on a slick surface. Definitely looks best with denim, although you can pull it off with khakis/chinos as well, especially if you get one that doesn't have a lot of pre-distressing on it.

If you're on the fence about it (heck, even if it's just the slightest little hint of desire), go for it. You will not regret it.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask about anything I didn't cover.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More Trunk Show shoes in today!

Blue shell MacNeils. They look perfect upon quick inspection. Photos later, as I'm currently working.

Regarding Deuce's dog, Cooper, I too have 2 loving companions - Yellow Lab named Whiskey and a Black Lab / Shepard mix named Tango. No photos of them with shoes tho. At least not yet...

bathiel

Reaction score
Quick question on the Cavanaugh: I'm considering pulling the trigger given the sale price, but am concerned about the fit. Many of the reviews on the AE site indicated the shoe runs very narrow, and that they all wished they had gone up one or two in the width. Those of you who have it--what's been your experience?

Bernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads