• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Gabru Still quite puzzled as to why AE would suddenly decide to produce so many on this last. I feel like 75 plus percent of people would say the same thing as you.
Glad I am not the odd one..1943 last looks beautiful , soft chisel really looks great on cornwallis and washington sq (noticed thsi show for the very first time). But they really need to work on the fit..

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of olive green shoes from AE, but only one green AE belt. Who wants to always wear the same belt? I saw a casual green leather belt on eBay ($8), and decided to give it a try.

It turned out to be way too yellowish:

So I went to work, stripping some of that yellowish lacquer, and using a mix of diluted leather dyes (mostly blue). It was a multi-step process, and I ended up finding a better buckle as well. I think it's a much better match now.

Last edited:

beardsf

Reaction score
Brought out the fifth streets today.new laces. Need a polish and soon new soles. Would red dainite be an odd look for a formal/dark boot? I'd prefer to put something more water resistant on and I want durability.
818b180952c2b9acd847dc661b615c6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scarlet

Reaction score

First Aves today. Haven't cleaned or polished these for about half a year, wanted to see how they weathered the winter with minimal care. I've really grown quite happy with these. The fit was awful at first, but after some modifications, painful breaking in, and some AE boot socks, they're fairly comfortable now.

Haven't visited here in a while. I've been rotating between my FAs and my HMs almost exclusively since November, and didn't want to take a hundred pics of them. I've also stated getting into shoemaking as a hobby, which is nearly as expensive as shoe buying, and I didn't need you filthy barnweasels to distract me or my bank account. With what AE has been putting out lately though, I don't think I was in much trouble. Still, fun to read the conversations again.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Self serving PSA here. I mix vintage into my collection and I wound up with some vintage Florsheim shell long wings (1982) in 12 E that do not fit my 11 EEE foot. I thought I would be able to return them, but that fell through so I need to find them a new home. PM me if you are interested.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brought out the fifth streets today.new laces. Need a polish and soon new soles. Would red dainite be an odd look for a formal/dark boot? I'd prefer to put something more water resistant on and I want durability.

Why not black Dainite?

Scarlet

Reaction score

Brought out the fifth streets today.new laces. Need a polish and soon new soles. Would red dainite be an odd look for a formal/dark boot? I'd prefer to put something more water resistant on and I want durability

I was actually just wondering what my First Aves would look like on red Dainite. As much as I love red Dainite, I've grown to appreciate the more refined look that the v-tread tap soles have with these dressier boots. My gut says go for it, but it might be smarter to keep them as is. You could do black Dainite if you wanted the extra durability.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to belabor this topic, but I finally snapped a pic of the Dundees. Has anyone received a shoe with this flaw? Will the bottom of the right shoe flatten out with wear or is it always going to be like this? It's nagging me a bit that the shoe pivots on the front of the right heel.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. 1) its not egregious. 2) the sole will conform once you wear them for a while. If they are otherwise great, I would definitely keep. But they're your shoes, if they're firsts, you could try and spin the wheel and return if you're not happy.

dfwcowboy

Reaction score
I believe those look to be Magnani shoes, which you can find at Nordstrom. For Allen Edmonds, the Mora 2.0 is the most similar option.

I'm not sure they are as the Magnani are just a bit different, at least in the current model.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I understand your point, I think the 65 gives just as many people trouble as the 1943. I'm not sure which one is better for most people.

@rumjt Heel pads did not work for me. All they did was fall off after a few hours of use and they didn't even help my heel slip. Tongue pads on the other hand, can help mild heel slip in my experience. But they won't work if your foot is coming out of the shoe when you walk. I think tongue pads are great if you have exhausted all the space between your lacing gap. That's what they were designed for.

The 65 is troublesome, but I think many people can eventually find at least a decent fit. Would help if AE stocked more widths IN stores and had more competent SA's. When you find a good SA or SM hold on to them for dear life.

The 1943 is all or nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads