• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Middlife

Reaction score

narcosis219

Reaction score
I think I'm missing the note... What's up with the weasels or other various cuddly wildlife references??

rumjt

Reaction score
Filthy barn ferret doesn't quite roll off the tongue as nicely.:D

Middlife

Reaction score
Filthy barn ferret doesn't quite roll off the tongue as nicely.
biggrin.gif
Filthy Farm Ferret!

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'm missing the note... What's up with the weasels or other various cuddly wildlife references??
It predates my time on SF, but filthy barnweasel or FBW is an endearing term used to describe a fellow forum member who is attempting to peer pressure you into buying more shoes.

@armedferret took this obsession a bit further than most.

Middlife

Reaction score

It predates my time on SF, but filthy barnweasel or FBW is an endearing term used to describe a fellow forum member who is attempting to peer pressure you into buying more shoes.

@armedferret took this obsession a bit further than most.

I can't remember who it was or exactly what was said but it stuck, that's for sure.

It was something along the lines of how a member's mass amounts of recent AE purchases/emptiness of their wallet was due to the pressures of the "filthy barn weasels" in this forum. I'm sure someone can give a more accurate explanation with links to the original post but I believe that's the gist of it.

macher

Reaction score
Hi all and happy new year. Just got a pair of Higgins Mill in brown and really like them. I have a pair of Redwing Beckman's which I really like too. Both are similar but yet different.

When I first got my Beckman's the fit was extremely tight like they are suppose to be. After wear they molded to my feet and they feel like I can play basketball in them. I always had problems with my feet not filling up footwear and it was suggested I get an insert for the Beckman's and I went with the Redwing orthodic.

Got fitted at an AE a while back and they didn't have a 7.5 in
stock. Tried on an 8 but ball didn't line up and the rep pretty much guaranteed that a 7.5 would fit. My wife got me the Higgins Mill for a late Christmas giftfrom Amazon in a 7.5. Just got them today. The AE rep was right my ball lines up perfectly where it should. Like I said my issue has always been not enough foot volume. Not sure if I need an insert or not. They are pretty comfortable out of the box.

Should the Higgins Mill fit at first pretty tight like Redwings? How do I know if I need an insert?

Thanks!

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeesh, I miss a couple days and we're already 10 deep on a new thread lol
I'll post my "best of 2016" as my MD chukkas, although I bought a lot of shoes this year (mainly ebay).
These are probably my best of 2016 as well, the construction and materials are next level. Not AE, but my acquisition yesterday (and what I'll be wearing for the next week to break in for my marathon next Sunday). Brooks Launch 3's:

quickonthetree

Reaction score
I'm just rocking snuff Dundees today so not worrying with a pic. Everyone has seen them lol. Question, I saw a MD Chukka new on ebay for $269. It says new but they look kind of funky the way the leather sits. How much was the shoe originally? I thought it was less than $269.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@armedferret
 took this obsession a bit further than most.

Just because i have 9 ferrets and have lost count of how many firearms i have.... :p

ETA: MDs at the Ferret MD.....in MD. :D

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just rocking snuff Dundees today so not worrying with a pic. Everyone has seen them lol. Question, I saw a MD Chukka new on ebay for $269. It says new but they look kind of funky the way the leather sits. How much was the shoe originally? I thought it was less than $269.

Do you mean the 13EEE's in chocolate? The MD Chukka is unlined and uses Janus Suede, if it seems floppy to you thats normal.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own a Higgins Mill and an Academy/Alumnus. I'm curious how the 1757 and the 2321 lasts compare. I have the HM in an 11.5 D and it's a pretty good fit. 11E might have been a bit better. According to the AE site, the 2321 has a bit narrower toe than the 1757, and I'm wondering if that affects sizing in any way, shape, or form.

The brown HM is my favorite AE out of all, and I'm thinking about getting a natural Academy and a dark brown Alumnus for year-round wear.

I'm donkeyhoatie and I think I might have a problem with my unnatural love of CXL right now. Give me your wrinkles, your dings, and your luster. I'll embrace them all, especially as that patina starts to develop.

dfwcowboy

Reaction score
Think about this:

If you were to go to pickup your new BMW and let's say it has some scratches on it (it's ok right, come on after all it will get dinged up when you drive it), some parts of the paint have over spray (it ok when you get home you can just buff it out, what you expected perfect paint on your new car), on the interior there is some black marks on the tan leather seats (no one really sees this it's on the inside see if you can clean it when you get home).

So I think most would agree that picking up your new car like this is totally unacceptable why would it be any diff for expensive shoes or boots?

It's not really any different with a car. If you look at factory leather close enough (yes even BMW), you will find defects and other similar things that aren't defects at all, but are simply a function of the manufacturing process. If you look at the paint close enough (yes even BMW), you will find all sorts of minor defects there as well. All sorts of things get by even the best QC. Most people never notice or if they do it's well after the new has worn off anyway. Also even better than buying a car, if you aren't completely satisfied, AE will give you an exchange or refund. If you buy them via mail order they will even pay for the return shipping with no questions asked.

One of the reasons I'm more than happy to buy AE seconds is because I'm perfectly content with small defects that don't affect the function or serviceability of the shoes. Even with those, AE will pay for return shipping if you aren't happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads