• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, now I'm confused - my understanding is that the HM fits big, if anything.  I didn't ask but should - going in to retail store or shoebank to get fitted is not possible, correct?

The Normandy has a generous TTS fit in my experience, but heel slip for me usually means the shoe is too long.  That one would suggest an 11 may work.  But the Sea Island is telling - it should fit very snugly without socks, and will probably tear up your heel if it doesn't fit.  The Kirkwood should be in the same size, but the fit should be a bit more generous.  You previously stated a 65-lasted shoe in 11.5D fits well.

You have some conflicting data points here, but overall I think I'd default to your 'typical' size.  AE has told me many times that 95% of folks are the same size in everything (usually while shaking their heads and expressing confusion at why that doesn't apply to me).  Based on everything, I'd start with an 11.5D, but note my confidence is relatively low.

Yeah, your assessment of how the loafers fit is spot on. The Sea Island tore me up the first few wears until they stretched and are now quite comfy. The kirkwood is new and hasn't had much wear, but definitely more generous than the Sea Island.

I initially had a 11.5D HM, but as I wore around the house the end of my big toe rubbed much more than I noticed on first try on. When I went to 12D, the length was good, even with the thicker than dress socks I'll often wear in the winter.

I'll double check with the 2 local retail shops, but over the last 6-8 months they haven't carried anything in my size and I've had to have things I'm interested in ordered, so I'm about to give up on them. I didn't realize that 11.5D was so problematic from a stock standpoint. No shoe bank store in my state.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a pair of FA boots in burnished brown at the clearance price and was shocked at the QC. While I think the design of the boots are beautiful, I just don't understand how firsts can pass inspection when they look like this:

Forget about the notches and scuffs for a second, but does anyone else have a pair where the liner is spray painted? And for that matter, to have visible paint drips? Also, looks like they got the paint on the outside of the boot by accident as well. This makes me sad because I really wanted a pair of these and now they're out of my size.
Sorry that does not look like a first quality product I would be upset if I received those as seconds.

Not sure what is up with QC as how could they let those out the door???

Ah I know what happen these were inspected after either the Christmas or New Years party. See after a few drinks those defects don't looks so bad after all.

But seriously something is up with QC.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I coat the inside and outside of all my boots with leather lotion or Bick4 prior to wearing. Helps with squeaks and break-ins (though my grain 1st Aves felt like butter on first wear). It will get better!

Maiden voyage today...  extremely comfortable but man do they make a lot of noise!  (squeaking of the grain leather)  I can get use to it but does this subside?

This. Liberal conditioning with bick 4 for the first few wears.

yellafella321

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of FA boots in burnished brown at the clearance price and was shocked at the QC. While I think the design of the boots are beautiful, I just don't understand how firsts can pass inspection when they look like this:

Forget about the notches and scuffs for a second, but does anyone else have a pair where the liner is spray painted? And for that matter, to have visible paint drips? Also, looks like they got the paint on the outside of the boot by accident as well. This makes me sad because I really wanted a pair of these and now they're out of my size.

#1 that notch is standard and is on every pair of AEs, it's where the 360 welt starts and ends.
#2 That will happen as soon as you put the shoe on/try it on...the scuffs are a little disappointing, but not a deal breakers
#3 That's the worst part, but as soon as you polish the shoes for the first time it goes away. AE has a spray-finish on most of their shoes, which can peel/chip/crack, you will have to deal with this over the life of the shoe but it's easily solved by standard shoe care.
#4 Why do you care about what's on the inside of the shoe?

EvanNole

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum @EvanNole
! I have yet to wear mine, outside of trying them on for fit. I did experience some pain on one ankle - but that is where the tongue slides down to one side. It might be worth contacting AE about your concern. For as bad as I feel their QC has gotten recently, their CS has stayed top notch. I plan to call tomorrow and see what other first are in stock and/or discuss a deep 2nds discount. 

Thanks for the warm welcome and the reply!

Yes, I, too, have been the happy recipient of excellent customer service from AE, particularly at my local store here in Atlanta. In fact, they've been great about ordering several different sizes of the Dalton for me to try over the past month before my placing a custom order (dark chili with Dainite soles); I now need orthotics for plantar fasciitis and my 10D Daltons can't accommodate them, and trying to find the right size has been tricky.

Thanks again for the input on the Cronmok. With the Daltons and some olive Strandmoks coming (plus a new suit), it's probably better for my wallet that they go back, but it sure hurts to part with them.

Cheers!

RexBanner

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Carlyle shoes in dark chili. I like the shoe, but there seems to be a white residue on the leather. Is this normal?

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Carlyle shoes in dark chili. I like the shoe, but there seems to be a white residue on the leather. Is this normal?

I had similar on my walnut Strands from BB a couple weeks ago. Just brush them, it comes right off. I'm assuming it was just a haze from the wax applied at the factory.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had similar on my walnut Strands from BB a couple weeks ago. Just brush them, it comes right off. I'm assuming it was just a haze from the wax applied at the factory.
That was my thought as well - It is called "blooming" with shell, but wasn't sure if that term applied to calf as well (guessing "yes")

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#1 that notch is standard and is on every pair of AEs, it's where the 360 welt starts and ends.
#2 That will happen as soon as you put the shoe on/try it on...the scuffs are a little disappointing, but not a deal breakers
#3 That's the worst part, but as soon as you polish the shoes for the first time it goes away. AE has a spray-finish on most of their shoes, which can peel/chip/crack, you will have to deal with this over the life of the shoe but it's easily solved by standard shoe care.
#4 Why do you care about what's on the inside of the shoe?

I think what rumjt is asking is this normal for a first quality shoes from a top brand?

I would say no this is not normal or expected.

Here is what is on the AE site:

At Allen Edmonds we are proud to produce some of the finest footwear in the world and we’ve expanded our horizons to include belts, leather briefcases and bags, and versatile clothing. From classic to contemporary and dress to casual, Allen Edmonds' products are unsurpassed in quality, value and craftsmanship and reflect timeless elegance and enduring style.

So this shoe should be:

1. The Worlds Finest
  2. Have Unsurpassed Quality
  3. Have Unsurpassed Craftsmanship

Based on the pictures this is what I see:

1. I could buy defective shoes like this anywhere even Wal-Mart
  2. Low Quality again could get this anywhere why buy and pay for AE
  3. No pride in Craftsmanship could be made in any cheep factory

When someone buys what is supposed to be a top name who advertises that they are the best in the world with unsurpassed quality and craftsmanship there is a certain level that one expects.

If what we are seeing in these pictures is the new standard at AE then there is no point they should give up now.

I think AE has some workers in the QC dept that should be in a different dept for sure.

Think about this:

If you were to go to pickup your new BMW and let's say it has some scratches on it (it's ok right, come on after all it will get dinged up when you drive it), some parts of the paint have over spray (it ok when you get home you can just buff it out, what you expected perfect paint on your new car), on the interior there is some black marks on the tan leather seats (no one really sees this it's on the inside see if you can clean it when you get home).

So I think most would agree that picking up your new car like this is totally unacceptable why would it be any diff for expensive shoes or boots?

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting this white residue... I was just looking at some AE boots on eBay that are advertised as new unused taken out of box for pics only. There is this white looking power on them so I emailed the seller thinking there was something he was not saying in the listing. But now it is sounding like this could actually be totally normal.

Still wonder what it could be I would think the shoes are at the very least wiped clean before being boxed. But based on some recent postings, my new heels falling off, maybe I need to adjust my expected quality standard lower.

Rubik1014

Reaction score
I'm back to this thread after a break...

I am an 8.5D in most everything.

I have an 8.5D Mora 2.0 which are my favorites, but that's with tongue pads. They are a tad wide.

Has anyone sized down a half size in the Mora 2.0 successfully?

Unfortunately 8D is not left in Brown, so I'd be hunting via my local retailers, but I thought I'd check here before I bug them.

Bueller?

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it really is great. I love mine a lot. Never seen one with brown laces in place, but I really like that look. I usually keep the tan ones in, or swap out for a color that complements whatever shirt I'm wearing. That brown one might be a bit of a better option to keep in there on a regular basis for when I'm too lazy to swap out for something more fun.

They came with the shoes.
satisfied.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads