• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only issue with him is that he ships from Huntersville and will not let me pick them up even though I live in Charlotte.

Could be he runs it out of his house and isn't fond of strangers popping by to see the MASSIVE inventory of shoes worth a decent chunk of change on hand...

I get your frustration, but I also can understand where he's coming from. You're clearly a threat.
mwink[1].gif

eagleman

Reaction score
Today is Throwback Thursday here. These are my vintage Chelsea loafers purchased in the mid-1980's. When you take good care of your AE's they last for years. Thank goodness the coffee isn't that old.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Resolution Day 4 McTavish:

Soooooo comfortable.

Yeah, it really is great. I love mine a lot. Never seen one with brown laces in place, but I really like that look. I usually keep the tan ones in, or swap out for a color that complements whatever shirt I'm wearing. That brown one might be a bit of a better option to keep in there on a regular basis for when I'm too lazy to swap out for something more fun.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So just heard back from AECS they want me to send in my Acorn Hillfires for eval since both heels are falling off after only 3 wears.

I really like the shoes so hoping they either repair or replace, but I don't see them anymore so I think the stock is gone for a replacement.

Replacement may be difficult based on stock volume; if that's not a possibility just make it very clear you want to fix the shoe. I've sent in a discontinued pair for a heel problem, and they brought up a store credit after not successfully fixing the issue the first time around. I explained I wanted the shoe, and wanted it fixed in an enduring way. They did just that. My impression is that sometimes folk send in shoes kind of fishing for a credit, and perhaps they default to that a bit quickly, but if you're clear about what you want they will work with you.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Sea Island and Kirkwood (the penny loafer in case I botched the name), Normandy, and then the Higgins Mill that are not 65 last. The HM I have a 12D which works well, but my Normandy at 11.5D have a bit of heel slip. I'm wondering if something just isn't right with the Normandy I have with the way it fits. I'm thinking an 11 will be too short based on other fits.

Wow, now I'm confused - my understanding is that the HM fits big, if anything. I didn't ask but should - going in to retail store or shoebank to get fitted is not possible, correct?

The Normandy has a generous TTS fit in my experience, but heel slip for me usually means the shoe is too long. That one would suggest an 11 may work. But the Sea Island is telling - it should fit very snugly without socks, and will probably tear up your heel if it doesn't fit. The Kirkwood should be in the same size, but the fit should be a bit more generous. You previously stated a 65-lasted shoe in 11.5D fits well.

You have some conflicting data points here, but overall I think I'd default to your 'typical' size. AE has told me many times that 95% of folks are the same size in everything (usually while shaking their heads and expressing confusion at why that doesn't apply to me). Based on everything, I'd start with an 11.5D, but note my confidence is relatively low.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could be he runs it out of his house and isn't fond of strangers popping by to see the MASSIVE inventory of shoes worth a decent chunk of change on hand...

Same reason @TexasTexter doesn't like FBWs swinging by his place?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I get your frustration, but I also can understand where he's coming from.  You're clearly a threat. 
mwink%5B1%5D.gif

I run my business out of my basement and can fully understand why a seller wouldn't want buyers popping by.

I once sold a pair of AEs at a Starbucks. I will do local pickup but definitely would rather ship with my PO Box as the return address.

Last edited:

deker9

Reaction score

Just received Cronmok (1sts at $199). These are the latest batch, so much deeper navy color and stiffer uppers than the original. The color looks fantastic! The navy really pops with the natural welt. I am also pleasantly surprised with the red laces combo (though I'll likely use the tan laces most of the time). Before I rant, let me say the finishing on these is FANTASTIC! The stitching... not so much. Evidently they stitch in one side of the tongue. The job on the right boot totally mangled the leather strip of the eyelets. It isn't just the appearance - even when laced you can feel the lumps created by the bunching and a couple of the eyelets can only be laced through the top. The other boot isn't mangled, but the tongue is stitched crooked. Below is pulled center as much as I can go. When worn it slides almost to the ball of my ankle. The stitching on this one is much more pronounced that the other boot. These would likely be going back, even if 2nds, as I feel these issues are more structure than cosmetic. I love the look of the boot, so hopefully I can get a better pair.
Looks just like the first pair I got. Second pair was worse. Third pair wasn't available anymore. :(

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage today... extremely comfortable but man do they make a lot of noise! (squeaking of the grain leather) I can get use to it but does this subside?

Yes. All my new AEs have squeaked a tidge first couple wears. It subsides.

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage today... extremely comfortable but man do they make a lot of noise! (squeaking of the grain leather) I can get use to it but does this subside?

I coat the inside and outside of all my boots with leather lotion or Bick4 prior to wearing. Helps with squeaks and break-ins (though my grain 1st Aves felt like butter on first wear). It will get better!

rumjt

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of FA boots in burnished brown at the clearance price and was shocked at the QC. While I think the design of the boots are beautiful, I just don't understand how firsts can pass inspection when they look like this:

Forget about the notches and scuffs for a second, but does anyone else have a pair where the liner is spray painted? And for that matter, to have visible paint drips? Also, looks like they got the paint on the outside of the boot by accident as well. This makes me sad because I really wanted a pair of these and now they're out of my size.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a pair of FA boots in burnished brown at the clearance price and was shocked at the QC. While I think the design of the boots are beautiful, I just don't understand how firsts can pass inspection when they look like this:

Forget about the notches and scuffs for a second, but does anyone else have a pair where the liner is spray painted? And for that matter, to have visible paint drips? Also, looks like they got the paint on the outside of the boot by accident as well. This makes me sad because I really wanted a pair of these and now they're out of my size.

The welt happens pretty often so that doesn't shock me though it is a little frustrating. Just throw some edge dressing on it and itll blend like the rest. Scuffs can be taken care of easily enough (it would seem from the pictures anyway). I'm not sure about the dripping though, you could try to wipe it down with conditioner or something and see if it comes off. I'd call and see if they can be reduced to the seconds price. Worth a shot.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maiden voyage today...  extremely comfortable but man do they make a lot of noise!  (squeaking of the grain leather)  I can get use to it but does this subside?

Yes, I have the brown grain MacNeils and Dundees and both squeaked a lot the first couple of wears - and that was after I put some AE Leather Lotion on them before the first wear. But neither one squeaks now.

I also received my brown grain First Avenues yesterday and they squeaked a lot when I tried them on and walked around the house.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads