Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing, accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TexasTexter, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

I plan to for the same reason you are describing. The sole is a bit too large imo. Also, single leather is more comfortable for me than double. In 2 or 3 years from now, I plan to do this.

I just recently sent my Clark Street's off to have them put on a v-tread sole. I noticed I wasn't wearing them much because I dreaded wearing the dainite.

2. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Senior member

I could use another rainy day shoe that's more casual. If the Overlord had a rubber sole, I'd be all over it.

3. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

Yea I agree with you and overall I paid $100 less than the seconds on sale so I'm happy.

I wonder where he get them he has so many AE shoes for sale he must be some kind of outlet for AE otherwise how would he have so many AE shoes.

Also I notice that some have the shoe stamp so seconds some don't maybe firsts but all have the no warranty.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

4. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

My guess is they're 3rds and returns to AE after being worn. Mine had some minimal site wear, but no defects at all so for mine the latter.

5. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

So just heard back from AECS they want me to send in my Acorn Hillfires for eval since both heels are falling off after only 3 wears.

I really like the shoes so hoping they either repair or replace, but I don't see them anymore so I think the stock is gone for a replacement.

6. Weathered

Weathered Active Member

I've been a bit hesitant to order from our favorite seller in the past, but the prospect of getting such a good deal is making me reconsider - I wasn't sure about your question when I was shopping his site this morning.

For sub-$100 AE's though, I might take a chance.

7. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Due to the generosity of my wife and son - via an AE gift card for Christmas - here are my new First Avenues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris

8. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

You're going to love those, FYI.

9. 007Bond

007Bond Senior member

Yea I shied away for a long time since his pictures are so limited and plain that it's sometimes hard to tell if you will be happy or not. Also the description is kinda generic overall so you really can't tell 100% what you are getting. Most he seems to highlight the defects in a photo so overall you have a good shot. I think he takes returns if you are really unhappy he has mostly all good feedback and the little negative is people complaining they did not like what they got but seems in all the cased he returned the shoes so not sure why they were unhappy if they got a refund.

Since most of us will get scuffs and nicks anyways if you can find a pair you like I think it is worth the slight risk.

The only way I think you can lose is if something goes wrong for example I just bought the Acorn Hillfires from AE and after only 3 wears both heels are falling off. So since these are under warranty I am sure AE will make good on them. But if these shoes had come from our favorite seller and the heels started to fall off after 3 wears there is no warranty so that is the risk. But his auctions do say you can return defective items so you may have a very limited time for a return if there is a structure issue. But I think AE will give you a very reasonable time to return a shoe especially if it is in very good condition where I don't think the favorite eBay seller is going to take back a shoe you had for months that the heel started to come off.

In any case if you save enough even if you have to pay for a minor repair you are probably ahead of the game anyways.

10. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Congratulations! Very nice. Love the color.

11. TexasTexter

They can fix them. That factory can do wonders. If not I am sure they can make you some new ones if they have uppers.

12. TexasTexter

I think it depends on the shoe....I love my Jefferson 1.0 and the 2.0 has less sole, to me I like mine better. The McTavish has the double sole as well...again I think it depends on the shoe makeup.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I had the same thing happen to a pair of Malverns. AE said they were recrafted, but I'm not sure if that meant simply putting new heels on or sole and heels due to Danite sole. They were good as new afterwards.

14. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Those Carminas are the drool.

15. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Speaking of dabondo/ebay, I've purchased two pairs from him in the past. Wore one of them today, my walnut Cornwallis. They are in amazing shape and look beautiful. I do not actually know what makes them seconds/thirds/whatever, but I got them for ~$130.

My other pair is the Ralph Lauren/AE Sanderson walnut longwing blucher - an AE favorite of mine as neo1 knows. Got them in an E width, which is not always easy to find. They had a v-tread sole which was a nice addition. Their reason for being "thirds" was a sizeable (1 inch or so) gouge in the leather along the medial aspect of the right shoe down near the welt that does not structurally compromise the shoe and is nearly invisible at all times. I got them for a steal (~$100 for a $525 shoe).

I find that with dabondo, what you see is what you get.