• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRJames

Reaction score
Guys, I couldn't resist the sales this weekend. I caved and bought a Dark Chili Manistee belt, a clearance bourbon belt, Dark Chili Leiden weave shoes, and like 5 sets of shoe trees. My wife may kill me tomorrow when I tell her.

I'm on vacation in the Dominican and my wife just said "I think we value items differently." Haha I think she may kill me eventually.

Fatmatt5

Reaction score
Since my Bartletts went back, I decided I needed a pair of black McAllisters needed to show up today. Unfortunately they haven't gotten any attention because I've been rebuilding my Eames style chair. (Test fitting arm cover - needs attention) not sure how to do spoiler content since non-AE.

View attachment 788472

Here's a real Eames chair if you need a model. Happens to be one at my GF parents house in Santa Fe

IMG_1293.JPG

Fatmatt5

Reaction score
Haha - thanks. I've had experience with the real thing, but for what my original plans were for the chair I didn't want to splurge on the real thing. :D

Completely understandable... no one really needs a chair that expensive... haha. It is very comfy though...

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Completely understandable... no one really needs a chair that expensive... haha. It is very comfy though...
Yup. They are. The only difference between the Herman Miller and mine was the cheap bonded leather and low quality foam padding. I'm fixing the padding, and doing something questionable to some with the upholstery...goes with the mid-century/Japanese style I've got going on though.

Back to AE:
Bad news guys! They did as I was hoping with the chilli sale... the Leiden weave and Shreveports are on sale! My dilemma. I want a chili woven shoe. Shreveport is 65 last, but no chili. Leiden is 1943 last, with chili. Reading AE's description the 1943 fits more like the 201, which is why I sent back the Bartletts.

Fatmatt5

Reaction score
Yup. They are. The only difference between the Herman Miller and mine was the cheap bonded leather and low quality foam padding. I'm fixing the padding, and doing something questionable to some with the upholstery...goes with the mid-century/Japanese style I've got going on though.

Back to AE:
Bad news guys! They did as I was hoping with the chilli sale... the Leiden weave and Shreveports are on sale! My dilemma. I want a chili woven shoe. Shreveport is 65 last, but no chili. Leiden is 1943 last, with chili. Reading AE's description the 1943 fits more like the 201, which is why I sent back the Bartletts.

I can wear the 201 in my 65 size - 9D, but with the Leiden, when I tried it on I needed a 9.5D

amphillips79

Reaction score
I can wear the 201 in my 65 size - 9D, but with the Leiden, when I tried it on I needed a 9.5D
I'm going to try my 65 size on the first go. I've seen mixed reviews on how the sizing of the 201 works for people so I'm hoping the first shot does the trick. We'll see though and if not it's easy enough to return and swap.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from Woodlore about their new boot trees. About friggin' time. Currently $35 as there's a storewide 30% sale. Curious to see how long it takes AE to offer a full toe version.
Top tip right there.. Didn't order any boot trees but loaded up on the twin tubes and even treated myself to some monograming.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to AE:

The 1943 is short. I wear my 65 size of 9E but I like my 65 with a little extra space as I could wear 8.5EE just doesn't close as well. If you have extra length to spare on your 65 take the same size, if you are pushing the limits of length or feel you fill it out without much room to spare id consider sizing up. Leiden weaves are awesome. Get the matching weave belt. It is also awesome.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_8949.JPG
IMG_9012.JPG
IMG_8954.JPG
IMG_8950.JPG
Thought I would share my experience with my first AE MTO. Not only is this my first AE MTO, this was my first MTO period and needless to say I was very excited. Well it didn't go how I hoped. First I did receive a lot of help from a very kind member here on how and what to order and Allison was exceptionally helpful in placing the order so no complaints there . My order was placed for the McNeil blue shell with natural sole, welt and stitch but what I received was was about the direct opposite. Now I maybe could have lived with the chili sole but a few other items I could not. First and foremost the point on the wingtip. It looks simply horrible. Next and maybe just me but the welt doesn't look so great especially how it flattens out in the back. I do not care much for how the welt is joined and have seconds that look way better but I guess a lot of AE's look the same. I understand there is a lot to doing MTO's and mistakes can occur but to me this is a little much. I couldn't wear these at any discount.. Thoughs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads