• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New Shell Patriots!

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
A tan McTavish popped up on the ShoeBank in my size. Does anybody have pics of them in the wild? I may replace these Oak Streets with the loose grain with McTavishes instead, but most the photos on the site aren't great and most of the pics I remember from this thread are of the cognac color.

Also, for McTavish owners of any color: are they comfortable enough to walk in all day? For a year, I have struggled to find a business casual-type shoe that I can wear all day, particularly while traveling. I typically wear desert boots when I'm doing touristy things, but I am looking for a shoe to wear on days when I may be doing in and out of nice hotels, sit-down restaurants, museums, etc.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Here for this. I would love to see an Independence Line derby or blucher in pebble grain leather.

I was trying to think of what I would offer on the Indy line instead of the new offerings and somewhat struggled with the idea of "dressing down" the lineup with a blucher or non-Oxford styles.

What would you add? A Players Shoe remake or a Delray splitoe would be the blucher I would add. I would also add a premium loafer of some sort, maybe a something similar to the AE x RL Singleton (damn you D width only shoes!!).

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A tan McTavish popped up on the ShoeBank in my size. Does anybody have pics of them in the wild? I may replace these Oak Streets with the loose grain with McTavishes instead, but most the photos on the site aren't great and most of the pics I remember from this thread are of the cognac color.

Also, for McTavish owners of any color: are they comfortable enough to walk in all day? For a year, I have struggled to find a business casual-type shoe that I can wear all day, particularly while traveling. I typically wear desert boots when I'm doing touristy things, but I am looking for a shoe to wear on days when I may be doing in and out of nice hotels, sit-down restaurants, museums, etc.

I've got grey McT's and use them as you're describing. Very low maintenance care too, just wipe em down. I've got Shannon Drive's in a green color that's similar to the Shoebank photo. My desert boots crapped out this winter and the Dundees didn't fit so I'm still looking to see if the HM will fit the bill.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a pair of Higgins Mill in 8.5E that fit great after some wear. Looking at getting a pair of used Katmai chukkas (511 last) in 9D but I'm worried about them being too narrow. Any thoughts on the relative fit on these two boots?

Sole widths of the two are 4.25 for the 9D Katmai and 4.625 for the 8.5E Higgins Mill.

I do not have the HM or any others on the 1757 last, yet. I'm fortunate in that most AE shoes and boots fit me TTS or at least 1, 5, 7 lasts. And feet can vary a lot so what works for one person may not work for the next. And going up in size from TTS can fit better, or worse, for some people then going out a size in width. So it would be hard for me to help you on fit.

I do have the Katmai they are some where around 5 years old now. They have seen a lot of wear but very casual including mud and snow. The suede on the back panels is much longer than the front it is sort of a strange design, but for casual use they work for me. Good luck just wanted you to know that they are a bit rougher in appearance than might appear at first glance. But work for me and what I use them for.

To give you an idea comparison wise the Katmai is on the left. MDxAE in center and Dundee Snuff suede on right. They are all on the 1 last and 10D.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As if that weren't bad enough they are the godawful looking weave design.  

I could definitely go for an Indy blucher.  It's a shame they don't offer one.

The Williams was an awesome shoe! It was on the 222 last though, which was sometimes a hard fit.

wing-tip-black-dark-shoes-men-style-socks-tweed.jpg

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grab 'em! My album from when I sold mine. I loved them a lot, but have two other pair: http://imgur.com/a/46ciz

I've put a lot of miles on my McT's, but the 5-last is tough for some people. The McT runs wider (or at least looser) than the rest of the 5-last shoes I've owned - I'm an "E" in everything else, but the 11.5D is amazingly comfortable for me. I wore my "Mistake McTs" (Cognac that looks like tan) on Sunday and Tuesday, which were both travel days - three airports, a lot of moving around, three meetings at different sites on Tuesday and a lot of moving around - I felt great at the end of the day. They're extremely comfortable for me. The reason I kept the "Mistake" pair, which have very similar uppers, was that the darker sole edge allows it to be dressed up more for me (three customer meetings in nice Epaulet trousers), but the tan is pretty darn versatile too. Looks killer with denim IMHO, great with just about any chinos and can even take a pairing with dressier pants if chosen carefully.

Weasel Summary: Don't wait!

[edit: Just realizing you probably aren't talking about the 4035 McT, which is what that whole post is about. If that is true, you should probably disregard most of it, especially the sizing.]

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm actually digging the new Indy Sarasota woven penny loafer. $495 is steep, but I'll keep an eye out for it at the SB.

If you like them, go for it. I have odd taste in that most of my shoes are more plain or old fashioned, but I always encourage everyone to go for what gets them excited.

I would definitely wait for the next flash seconds sale and see if they offer a discount on them. The only bad thing is, they only give discounts on the Indy line maybe 3-5 times a year on shoebank. As far as I know, they only discount the 1sts on the Indy line in October, and it's not a big discount with them still being $420.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads