• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRJames

Reaction score
Well, I’ve been out of commission for the last week, so catching up on like 50 pages of posts. Was going to sit this sale out, but just pulled the trigger on some HM Brown 2nds because Karina from Paramus talked me into them. These were on my 2017 list, so pretty excited to get them in!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I’ve been out of commission for the last week, so catching up on like 50 pages of posts. Was going to sit this sale out, but just pulled the trigger on some HM Brown 2nds because Karina from Paramus talked me into them. These were on my 2017 list, so pretty excited to get them in!
I blame women for all my purchases also.

JohnPatShop

Reaction score
Does anyone else experience ankle pain when driving a stick while wearing boots? The tendon on the inside of my left ankle will roll over the bone when engaging the clutch when wearing my Long Branch, and I'm unable to duplicate it when not driving. It gets pretty old in traffic....

I've long coveted the Dalton and now is the time to jump, but I'm hesitant. Wondering if this is a Thing, or if I'm just doing it wrong.
Thanks,p
Tom
Yes! My left Achilles' tendon always hurts in boots, even some Chukkas. With my Longbranch (Saukville) and First Ave, I've found no real solution. They're loose enough that they slip just enough to sort of chafe, and the shank digs into my left ankle tendon when I work the clutch.

Leave all the speedhooks and maybe one pair of eyelets undone, but fasten the lowest eyelets extra tight, so it will feel closer to wearing regular shoes

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else experience ankle pain when driving a stick while wearing boots? The tendon on the inside of my left ankle will roll over the bone when engaging the clutch when wearing my Long Branch, and I'm unable to duplicate it when not driving. It gets pretty old in traffic. My Higgins Mills and 8" Thorogood work boots don't have the same effect.

I've long coveted the Dalton and now is the time to jump, but I'm hesitant. Wondering if this is a Thing, or if I'm just doing it wrong.

Thanks,
Tom
The only pair that gives me any trouble is my pair of Daltons, but it's instep pain not ankle pain because the shaft of the boot is not fully broken in yet I suspect. Otherwise, nope. However, driving a manual is definitely easier in shoes.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second part of our anniversary celebration was my wife and I pretending to watch a movie together. When I pick, she just falls asleep. This time I selected Carefree with Fred & Ginger because she can't handle the stranger stuff I have recorded. Somehow this one has evaded me. I love the way everyone dressed in those films. Some fantastic examples of menswear. I wonder who the predominant shoemakers were of the time and what the men were wearing. I know AE was in business but were they popular?

Last edited:

freshstyle

Reaction score
Anybody got good pics of natural or walnut shell daltons?

Can these purchased during the trunk show? What about outside of the trunk show?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is a non-AE split toe loafer for our younger group. This shoe has grown on me.

3332264B-541D-47D1-8EFF-A4C7ABCB9EFF.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Second part of our anniversary celebration was my wife and I pretending to watch a movie together. When I pick, she just falls asleep. This time I selected Carefree with Fred & Ginger because she can't handle the stranger stuff I have recorded. Somehow this one has evaded me. I love the way everyone dressed in those films. Some fantastic examples of menswear. I wonder who the predominant shoemakers were of the time and what the men were wearing. I know AE was in business but were they popular?
AE became very popular after WWII. They and Alden made shoes for the military. A lot of their following was formed with these men. Since AE started using a new fangled 365 degree machine welted shoe, they were not considered an upper shelf shoe. They were a more affordable well made shoe with hand operations. Fred wore a lot of two toned spectators and white buckskins. I am pretty sure those shoes had knurled stitched on soles without a welt. Just superior for dancing. If you notice he wore highwaisted pleated pants because he was thin and not too tall. His pants needed to make him look taller and yet be loose enough for those dance moves. So AE was most likely not his preferred shoe maker.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE was making only 360 welted shankless shoes from the very beginning. That was their marketing angle: light and flexible.

The only time they flirted with 270 welted shoes was during the early aughts for the short-lived "executive" collection.

Here are some vintage ads for the "shoe of tomorrow"

IMG_1436.JPG

IMG_1437.JPG

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody got good pics of natural or walnut shell daltons?

Can these purchased during the trunk show? What about outside of the trunk show?

Here are my natural shell Daltons from the last trunk show. Last 3 pics are comparing them to the Alden tan calfskin boots and C&J whiskey shell Lindrick boots.

A72B2699-CD73-4904-B752-C450441853A3.jpeg
CC66D3F5-F227-4C08-97D4-05E77693295F.jpeg
ED308E26-6BA6-4EAB-994F-3C3B9AFDE21A.jpeg
6BDA4D4E-33DD-41B1-9DBA-EBEB15B301A5.jpeg
A7FC8A08-4318-4A27-A16B-77B054221789.jpeg
35EC5301-874D-4448-A382-FDCBE1AC543F.jpeg
07CAC5A7-503F-4886-9934-5A32FCE06B6C.jpeg
E704884A-EED5-4DFE-B0C3-CE33D10FA2BD.jpeg

EvanNole

Reaction score
The only pair that gives me any trouble is my pair of Daltons, but it's instep pain not ankle pain because the shaft of the boot is not fully broken in yet I suspect. Otherwise, nope. However, driving a manual is definitely easier in shoes.
I solved instep pain with my Daltons, in particular, with these, from Birkenstock.

https://m.zappos.com/p/birkenstock-...r/158?ef_id=WFyh9AAABB9RJ@HC:20171008141828:s

I ditched the blue foam part, which just adds volume but doesn't provide any support. The cork part is great. The front edge will catch the sole of your foot a bit for the first couple of wearings until it's molded to your foot, but no big deal. The inserts are slim enough that you might not need to alter your shoe size, but YMMV. While I can still wear my 10.5D Daltons with these inserts, 10E works just a bit better with them. But in either case, plantar fasciitis and associated instep pain is gone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads