• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
B2EB786F-A597-4126-9FDD-968630350AA4.jpeg
Afternoon drink out and back to AE.

harlequin782

Reaction score
I've finally scratched my Meermin itch. Definitely a notch below AE, but I think I'll get some good mileage from them...

Im planning to scratch my Meermin itch sometime early next year...its Ironic that you say they are a notch below AE, as Ive heard this from most sources, yet I am somehow ok with it. I think because what Meermin sacrifices to AE in quality, it appears to more than make up for in the way of sleeker, more elegant, shapelier looking lasts.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Time to pick a few pairs to polish.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've finally scratched my Meermin itch. Definitely a notch below AE, but I think I'll get some good mileage from them...

Out of curiosity, what makes you say they are a notch below AE? In my limited experience (sample size of 1), I would put it on par with AE. Just wondering what you are cuing on ...

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE was making only 360 welted shankless shoes from the very beginning. That was their marketing angle: light and flexible.

The only time they flirted with 270 welted shoes was during the early aughts for the short-lived "executive" collection.

Here are some vintage ads for the "shoe of tomorrow"

View attachment 854462

View attachment 854463

At the bottom of the first ad: “most styles $24.95”

Do you know how many pairs of AE’s I would have if they were still $24.95 apiece?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At the bottom of the first ad: “most styles $24.95”

Do you know how many pairs of AE’s I would have if they were still $24.95 apiece?
In 1940 $24.95 had the same buying power of $431 today. If the shoes today are of the same quality then AE is actually a better value now. But that quality question is a whole different debate.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 1940 $24.95 had the same buying power of $431 today. If the shoes today are of the same quality then AE is actually a better value now. But that quality question is a whole different debate.
i know, I just meant if they were still the same price without factoring inflation.

Looks great. I still want to try out some of their shell offerings

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate to say it but all the vintage pics I've seen (pre 70s) look way better than modern issue.

IMG_1442.JPG
IMG_1443.JPG

Last edited:

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what makes you say they are a notch below AE? In my limited experience (sample size of 1), I would put it on par with AE. Just wondering what you are cuing on ...
I, by no means claim to be an expert. But, in comparing this pair to my AE Shaker Heights and Alden Indy, the attention to detail was not there, the feel of the uppers was not as good, the finish of the inside of the boot was not as refined, and the fit was not as comfortable, to me. Granted this was a pair of seconds... But I have had plenty of seconds from AE, Alden, and even Grant Stone and the overall quality is still there. Today was my first day in the wild with them, I want to see how they hold up in my rotation.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know, I just meant if they were still the same price without factoring inflation.

Looks great. I still want to try out some of their shell offerings
Thank you! I wanted to try the shell, but I'm going to pass now. They do offer some tempting make-ups though...

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im planning to scratch my Meermin itch sometime early next year...its Ironic that you say they are a notch below AE, as Ive heard this from most sources, yet I am somehow ok with it. I think because what Meermin sacrifices to AE in quality, it appears to more than make up for in the way of sleeker, more elegant, shapelier looking lasts.
You might be right. They do offer some beautiful styles, especially in shell cordovan. But you really need to be dialed in on the fit, and I have been reading about a few QC issues. With the pricey and slow shipping from Spain, it may be more trouble than it's worth... I was fortunate to find a second hand pair on eBay. The fit of the Hiro last in this boot for me is not optimal, but it's manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members