• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone with a high instep. Is the Acheson really easier to wear than the Grayson?
Thinking about the Acheson in snuff suede. I have a Grayson in 9.5B now.

Tricky question. Short answer is absolutely yes. I need some kind of limiting factor to keep shoes snug enough to wear in a D. The Grayson toe is narrow enough, yet the heel is wide enough I don't find the vamp an issue.

With the Acheson & Lake Forest, the cone/vamp is raised up to the point where high instep is out the window, BUT the due to the overall shape, the shoes then felt overly wide. My guess is you'd need a 9.5A maybe.

Ever look at the suede shanley? I'll be damned if I recommend that to anyone, but maybe worth a look if you need narrow & high instep.

Shiner

Reaction score
IMG_2480.JPG I am finding that even refined dress goes with jeans. Probably a sign of old age.

Shiner

Reaction score
Ahh. A UPS package with AE box in it!!! Huh! Mcallisters in 5.5C? Oh honey!

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 844482 I am finding that even refined dress goes with jeans. Probably a sign of old age.

Let me ask you shiny man - I'm always sort of in search for a loafer or slip-on that I can swing with dress & casual, with darkish dress pants & jeans alike. I've tried my merlot Maxfield & denim like you but it feels too dressy to me. My Rye (burgundy, virtually the same) works a little better, but still not what I'm looking for. The Cavanaugh seems like it might work better but I can't take the hard vamp in normal calf and really don't want suede. I've tossed around the idea of getting a Kenwood but I think the remaining ones are hideous - the tan was nice but no longer available. I think those Lake Bluffs like that are extremely nice but too sleek for me. I wear the Duke a lot over the weekend but that is not a dress shoe at all. I have worn my Patriots both dressed up and down but I feel like they're a little too casual.

So far, I don't know - the only one I've been able to successfully swing both is my Sanibel (original 1.0 on the 800 last). I actually liked it so much I got two - a black and a chili. But other than that, what do you suggest?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh. A UPS package with AE box in it!!! Huh! Mcallisters in 5.5C? Oh honey!

When you get your wife to start wearing AE, you know you're set for life.

Shiner

Reaction score
Let me ask you shiny man - I'm always sort of in search for a loafer or slip-on that I can swing with dress & casual, with darkish dress pants & jeans alike. I've tried my merlot Maxfield & denim like you but it feels too dressy to me. My Rye (burgundy, virtually the same) works a little better, but still not what I'm looking for. The Cavanaugh seems like it might work better but I can't take the hard vamp in normal calf and really don't want suede. I've tossed around the idea of getting a Kenwood but I think the remaining ones are hideous - the tan was nice but no longer available. I think those Lake Bluffs like that are extremely nice but too sleek for me. I wear the Duke a lot over the weekend but that is not a dress shoe at all. I have worn my Patriots both dressed up and down but I feel like they're a little too casual.

So far, I don't know - the only one I've been able to successfully swing both is my Sanibel (original 1.0 on the 800 last). I actually liked it so much I got two - a black and a chili. But other than that, what do you suggest?
Have you looked at the Addison? CXL with Dainite sole. I wear my Bellevue with odd trousers and the brown CXL is not bad. Looks better with dark denim but I think that loafer can make it.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In a few places it is starting to feel a little like fall.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Addison? CXL with Dainite sole. I wear my Bellevue with odd trousers and the brown CXL is not bad. Looks better with dark denim but I think that loafer can make it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr..... I tried on a lot of sizes in the older Addison.....and the McGraw....and the Dornoch. I can't fit the 234 last for ****. But thanks for getting me upset.

Bellevue is nice but too soft and not looking for a boot.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
In what circumstances do you wear your snuff suede Achesons? I own a pair in dark chili, but do not wear them very often (although I like them). I noticed that their factory seconds are now $157, which is a great price, so I've been tempted to get a suede pair, which I might wear casually more often than the dark chili pair, but then it also sounds silly to consider buying a second pair of a style I don't wear very often.

Shiner

Reaction score
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr..... I tried on a lot of sizes in the older Addison.....and the McGraw....and the Dornoch. I can't fit the 234 last for ****. But thanks for getting me upset.

Bellevue is nice but too soft and not looking for a boot.
You might think I am crazy but I wear my Randolph's from suits to crapy jeans. Especially dark chili or bourbon colors. That is one of my favorite loafers.

Shiner

Reaction score
In what circumstances do you wear your snuff suede Achesons? I own a pair in dark chili, but do not wear them very often (although I like them). I noticed that their factory seconds are now $157, which is a great price, so I've been tempted to get a suede pair, which I might wear casually more often than the dark chili pair, but then it also sounds silly to consider buying a second pair of a style I don't wear very often.
If you wear linen trousers or dressier chinos I think they are a go. It definitely hss a dressier casual feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads