• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but in these pics, the Taft chukka doesn't look nearly as bad as on the AE website.

On edit: had it mixed up with the Tate/Taint, which still does look like a dog's ass.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINTY-ALLEN...518769?hash=item1c919497b1:g:DZQAAOSwhxBZqfPA
It clearly says Tate on the footbed - they have it mismarked...maybe to avoid the Taint stigma! I think it could be a serviceable shoe with a factory sole swap...but I'm not game for it at $350.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You do have pairs that are not LWB. Bravo.

Yep, a few non LWBs. Like these today.

IMG_2224 2.jpg

mkmk

Reaction score
It clearly says Tate on the footbed - they have it mismarked...maybe to avoid the Taint stigma! I think it could be a serviceable shoe with a factory sole swap...but I'm not game for it at $350.

Ah, I was right the first time.

;)

I still think it looks ok, even with that sole.

(ducking)

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but in these pics, the Taft chukka doesn't look nearly as bad as on the AE website.

On edit: had it mixed up with the Tate/Taint, which still does look like a dog's ass.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINTY-ALLEN...518769?hash=item1c919497b1:g:DZQAAOSwhxBZqfPA

It's definitely the Taint. And, you're right, it doesn't look nearly as bad in these photos as they do on the AE site. I'm still not a fan of the brogue details on the back of the boot, and the sole is definitely wrong for that kind of chukka. If it had a Dainite sole, I could learn to live with the brogue. As they sell it now, I can't see buying it unless it gets down to Saukville-ian levels on the Shoebank. Even then, I'd probably hold my breath and pray the Dundees make their way back at some point in either dark brown or brown grain.

If you'd asked me 24 hours ago if I'd ever slip into a Taint, I would have laughed. Now? I'm still laughing, just not quite as much.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah, I was right the first time.

;)

I still think it looks ok, even with that sole.

(ducking)
I know I've got tastes that differ as well, so I'm not going to hate you. I just won't be buying them! Apart from the sole, the brouging on the rear only is odd...why not elsewhere like the Bellevue or some such? I also tend to lean towards suede for chukkas.

On another shoe front, I've got four shoe related packages coming this week!!! Two tomorrow, two Thursday. I think I might need to go to AA (Aldenolics Anonymous), AEA (Allen Edmondsolics Anonymous), or SA (Shoeholics Anonymous)...I know that @smfdoc would be a TERRIBLE sponsor!

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BROWN SHELL MACNEIL 511 EDITION
Pattern:
Macneil
Last: 511
Leather: Brown Shell Cordovan
Lining: Independence
Welt: Brown Reverse welt w/ matching stitching and wheeling
Edge: Transparent Brown
Soles: JR double sole
Eyelets: Matching Exposed

Price Confirmed: $650

If you are interested let me know via PM or add your name to the list on the spreadsheet found HERE.
We have added another to the ranks, back up to 8. I know there are a few of you fellas that want this shoe.... use that Amex and it will only be $600 :devil:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can the American Express deal only be used once?
Or could you buy 2-3 $250 gift cards?

I don't have an AmEx card, but was curious about this.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Only once per card.

Shiner

Reaction score
These crack me up. Were they old stock that you found at the shoebank?
I was trying to have one made up with the Toby sole and when they called the factory about availability they told my SA that they had a second with the Vibram mini lug if I wanted to look at it. So I ordered it for $149.00 instead of getting it with the Toby for $435.00. I think a good deal.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think what you're asking is if you can use two gift cards on one purchase. So you would have to see what AE says.

I don't see how AmEx could stop two people with two separate AmEx cards from using the gift cards in the manner of the buyers choosing.

mkmk

Reaction score
I know I've got tastes that differ as well, so I'm not going to hate you. I just won't be buying them! Apart from the sole, the brouging on the rear only is odd...why not elsewhere like the Bellevue or some such? I also tend to lean towards suede for chukkas.

On another shoe front, I've got four shoe related packages coming this week!!! Two tomorrow, two Thursday. I think I might need to go to AA (Aldenolics Anonymous), AEA (Allen Edmondsolics Anonymous), or SA (Shoeholics Anonymous)...I know that @smfdoc would be a TERRIBLE sponsor!

It's definitely still sub-optimal -- just not quite as heinously butt-ugly as the website pics (and I totally agree about the goofy brogueing).

;)

Good luck with the incoming deliveries!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On another shoe front, I've got four shoe related packages coming this week!!! Two tomorrow, two Thursday. I think I might need to go to AA (Aldenolics Anonymous), AEA (Allen Edmondsolics Anonymous), or SA (Shoeholics Anonymous)...I know that [B]@smfdoc[/B] would be a TERRIBLE sponsor!

I would normally protest such a slander, but I really can't cause you are right. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads