• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps a Hopkinson? I've heard stories about the MacNeil being difficult to fit too because the heel is so big. What about the 5 didn't work?

The Carlyle and Cornwallis aren't on the 5 either.

The only problem there is that my foot and the regular 65 lasted bals don't really get along. I have ok fit with the McTavish (runs big) and the Neumok (unlined so a little more room), but I couldn't get a Strand or McAllister to work.  I am totally open to suggestions though!

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
UPDATE: my photo apparently failed to post: will try again latet

My only pair of Independence Collection shoes were a present from my girlfriend, who found these Jefferson 1.0s shortly after they discontinued them and introduced the 2.0s. I love them, and wear them on days like today when we meet up for lunch in the middle of the day or have plans after work.

No indy line, yet. Strong hunch I'll have a Bartlett soon. #dyeilb (do you even independence line bro)

Last edited:

shades9323

Reaction score

Large V-gap with the 65 and feels really tight as well. Is the heel on the MacNeil wider than other 97 last shoes? I have a pair of 6th Avenue that fit great.

I'll look at the Carlyle. The Cornwallis doesn't float my boat so to speak. What about The City?

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Large V-gap with the 65 and feels really tight as well. Is the heel on the MacNeil wider than other 97 last shoes? I have a pair of 6th Avenue that fit great.

I'll look at the Carlyle. The Cornwallis doesn't float my boat so to speak. What about The City?

I don't know much about The City, on the AE site it was listed as a limited edition run. The Carlyle I wear the same size as the 65 last and its a tad more spacious (to me) on the ball and V-gap is fine though I don't have v-gap issues on the 65 with the proper size. The 201 last is pretty popular among those who can't make the 65 quite workout . For that look at the Hopkinson (though not as cheap as 5th and PA) is a good option and those with them here seem to love them. I have warwicks which fit a little differently than laceups but they are on the 201 and have worked well. I cannot speak to the 1943 last as I haven't tried it but you dont like the Cornwallis.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
UPDATE: my photo apparently failed to post: will try again latet

My only pair of Independence Collection shoes were a present from my girlfriend, who found these Jefferson 1.0s shortly after they discontinued them and introduced the 2.0s. I love them, and wear them on days like today when we meet up for lunch in the middle of the day or have plans after work.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably a dumb question, but did you try different sizes for the 5 last?

The 201 last is essentially the 5 last, but for higher instep feet. I love my Hopkinsons.

The Carlyle is on the 108 and I have a Vernon built on that same last. I wear the same size in the 108 as I do the 5. He 108 is similar to the 201 in that it has more volume overall and accommodates a higher instep (my vgap is closed on 201 and 108, but not on the 5), but the toe is more tapered and lays flatter. The Carlyle is where I would go if you didn't want to spend the extra coin on the Indy shoes.

Middlife

Reaction score
Didn't like due to the break up (although if it was a bad relationship maybe I am liking it due to that?), but the shell pick ups. Can't wait to see pics of those bad boys.

For me, must...resist...walnut...Bartlett. Is a walnut McCalister and Bartlett too redundant? (Of course the answer is no, and I'd be crazy to think anyone in this forum would suggest otherwise)
Hey, no worries. Breaks up are tough but I know it is for the best. I will be sure to take pics! This will be my first shell experience so I hope the flaws are not deal breakers.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues accessing SB this morning?
Not me but is there a way to see all the selections in your size? Or is the new default 36? I hate to keep pressing "next 36"...

Mcbeck

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Badlands from the Shoe Bank. They arrived yesterday. I know they are seconds but I can't see any flaws that would cause me any problems.

So far, fit TTS and super comfortable.

eb2228244079311bfd9e1c1f77b5b607.jpg

7c0631e4aa8957d7a5ef03367706dc10.jpg

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shades9323

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but did you try different sizes for the 5 last?

The 201 last is essentially the 5 last, but for higher instep feet. I love my Hopkinsons.

The Carlyle is on the 108 and I have a Vernon built on that same last. I wear the same size in the 108 as I do the 5. He 108 is similar to the 201 in that it has more volume overall and accommodates a higher instep (my vgap is closed on 201 and 108, but not on the 5), but the toe is more tapered and lays flatter. The Carlyle is where I would go if you didn't want to spend the extra coin on the Indy shoes.

I have tried 8e, 8.5e, 8ee. 8.5 is too long. 8 is my length for the 65. My McTavish and Neumoks are 8e and the vgaps are tolerable. AE CS thinks 8.5e on the 108 and 8e on the 201, but I can't try any on to verify that!

styleaudit91

Reaction score

Found a set of suede wings on BBs site for $170 that I thought I would try out. Unsure if I will keep them, they fit and look nice and would be a good casual going out shoe, but with the Bank sale I am considering putting my cash towards something else. Also, does anyone else find the dove tail heel with the rubber sole to be a bit counterintuitive? I need a few more all weather soles so I like that but I feel I can't wear a leather heel in wet conditions any more than a regular leather sole.

whodey14

Reaction score
So far a little disappointed with the sale shoes in my size. Was hopefully of a nice cordovan pair but loafers and black macneils were my only options.

Is this sale replacing the July one I had read about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads