• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested in hearing the forum's thoughts on something: I own a pair of brown McGraws, which I mainly wear with sportcoats or slacks and sweaters. If I want to add a second pair of loafers for more casual wear, which color would be more versatile: tan, or burgundy? The Kenwood's lasts fits my foot well, and the tan saddle ($169) and burgundy shell ($300) are both priced very reasonable right now.
The McGraw - a shoe I tried more than once but the damn 234 just isn't for me. Damn fine shoes. The Kenwood is kind of a downgrade compared to that don't you think?

How casual do you want to get? I'd look at the Addison, Club Monaco South Beach and RL Shanley. You made me think of that f-ing Dornoch I could never get to fit either.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested in hearing the forum's thoughts on something: I own a pair of brown McGraws, which I mainly wear with sportcoats or slacks and sweaters. If I want to add a second pair of loafers for more casual wear, which color would be more versatile: tan, or burgundy? The Kenwood's lasts fits my foot well, and the tan saddle ($169) and burgundy shell ($300) are both priced very reasonable right now.
I would also consider a full strap loafer. I can't remember what AE does in full strap now, but I have both full strap (presidio?) and shorter strap one like the mcgraw. Full strap is a little classier than a short strap. e.g. I would not wear a full strap with shorts, but yes to short strap one.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How casual do you want to get? I'd look at the Addison, Club Monaco South Beach and RL Shanley. You made me think of that f-ing Dornoch I could never get to fit either.

It'd be nice to get my hands on a pair of Shanley seconds in brown.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
man.....am I glad the B&M in DC (H street) had bourbon polish. may have to go back and get another bottle just to make sure i have enough; seems like it may not be coming back online.... :(

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'd be nice to get my hands on a pair of Shanley seconds in brown.

You like all these, don't you? If I didn't already own a Player & Presidio I guess I'd be with you too. Hate to say it but I recently turned down a brown Shanley...I'm just not a big fan of suede - I'm too worried about it getting stained.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to oxblood calf in terms of color. I love the pics I've seen of them and was curious if it had a similar hue. I would love to see fellow members real lighting pictures of the shell dalton. I would like to make the jump however don't want to do it blind.

Thanks

No pics but I've seen the burgundy shell daltons up close. Very nice but definitely far from oxblood - oxblood really catches you, much more flashy. The burgundy on the Dalton was more muted.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You like all these, don't you? If I didn't already own a Player & Presidio I guess I'd be with you too. Hate to say it but I recently turned down a brown Shanley...I'm just not a big fan of suede - I'm too worried about it getting stained.

The Shanley is suede? I've only seen a calf version on RL's site.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is the AE thread, but I thought I'd post a pair of shoes I just recently acquired. Oak Street Boot Makers double sole chocolate calf shortwing bluchers. With only the Madison Park and Player 2.0 really filling the shortwing void (I don't really consider the orthopedic line), I was looking for a tad more casual shortwing - perhaps even a "gunboat", despite that term's usual association with longwings.

I got these for ~$50 off, but they're still quite pricey. They have a wider midsection which accommodates my wife feet (they only come in D width, but seem to fit my E width feet fine). The bulky welt and light welt stitching give it a bit of a casual feel, which I like.

Expensive shoe, but I couldn't find this exact aesthetic elsewhere for cheaper, and I like OSB as a brand, so I'll probably keep them.

robster35

Reaction score
so i finally am the owner of a pair of walnut Strands. i was measured btwn a 10.5D and 11D on the Brannock device and in store the 10D fit best on the 5 last shoes. i waited for a bargain and was able to get a new pair on ebay. now im somewhat second guessing my sizing. i take it i should have more toe area in these than say loafers or tennis shoes right? heres a couple pics if anyone can tell if these look about right id appreciate it!

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heres where ball of foot is
image_zpsjsnuv0ry.jpg
Seems like stuff is in the right place to me as I check the walnut Strands that I'm currently wearing. I'm surprised you dropped that far down from your brannock. Just so we are clear, you think your shoe is still too big?

A good exercise is to put them on for a bit and then look inside to see where your toes marked the insole. That should tell you a lot about where your foot sits in the shoe.

Last edited:

robster35

Reaction score

Seems like stuff is in the right place to me as I check the walnut Strands that I'm currently wearing.  I'm surprised you dropped that far down from your brannock.  Just so we are clear, you think your shoe is still too big?

A good exercise is to put them on for a bit and then look inside to see where your toes marked the insole.  That should tell you a lot about where your foot sits in the shoe.

will do that. i dont necessarily think theyre too big but i do recall the ones i tried on being a little more snug. these feel slightly more roomy. guess thats a good thing as long as they dont stretch out a lot. i do have a high instep so my v-gap isnt pulled all the way but i think looks about right

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
will do that. i dont necessarily think theyre too big but i do recall the ones i tried on being a little more snug. these feel slightly more roomy. guess thats a good thing as long as they dont stretch out a lot. i do have a high instep so my v-gap isnt pulled all the way but i think looks about right
Interesting that they still seem loose. Are you feeling that in the ball or the heel of the shoe? They won't really stretch unless your foot is pressing against the lining of the shoe, otherwise the only real change will be that your foot will sink into the foot bed, allowing for more volume in the shoe and a tighter vgap.

robster35

Reaction score

Interesting that they still seem loose.  Are you feeling that in the ball or the heel of the shoe?  They won't really stretch unless your foot is pressing against the lining of the shoe, otherwise the only real change will be that your foot will sink into the foot bed, allowing for more volume in the shoe and a tighter vgap.

i think im good. they just "seem" a bit long i guess altho the ball of my foot appears to be in the right spot. im thinking i did try a 9.5e at one time and it was pretty tight on the pinky toe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads