• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Its an early end to the week to head out for a wedding. This makes it casual Wednesday for me and time to wear the Fenways.

DapperDriver

Reaction score
That is really disappointing. I almost wonder if I should send them to B. Nelson instead. They appear to do the same thing AE does for $150 and AE CEO recommended them not that he needed to.

I kind of wish that I had sent the Strands to B. Nelson, as those are worn enough to warrant a JR sole. The Fairfaxs that I got back don't get enough wear to benefit from a JR sole (they were an eBay purchase).

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dark chili 6th Avenues today. Have a nice day all!

feeble

Reaction score

Others may disagree, but I would not apply Conditioner/Cleaner without polishing after. My experience with Conditioner/Cleaner is that it dulls the polish. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

One of the SAs I spoke to made a point to tell me not to use Conditioner on colors like Walnut or Dark Chili because it takes away some of the finish. Not sure if that's true or not, haven't tried it.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the SAs I spoke to made a point to tell me not to use Conditioner on colors like Walnut or Dark Chili because it takes away some of the finish. Not sure if that's true or not, haven't tried it.

Well I'm not sure how it impacts Walnut and Dark Chili of the nonburnished variety but my burnished bourbons lost color/burnishing with the AE conditioner which means I'm stuck using that premium polish only. Hopefully that is enough to care of the shoe? I tried Saphir renno and it took even more off so I'm not really sure what the solution is here.

Last edited:

Buster Brown

Reaction score

Exchanged a few emails with Dave tonight and he was not super helpful in email with much detail. Crazy short answers which didn't inspire confidence but he did say he could do it with a "rubber zip sole".

On Reddit GYW, I found this review of Dave:

"Dave is in no way a people's person, he doesn't chit chat, and if you're not brusque with him, he might not fully understand what you want him to do. That's the only issue I see with him, and outside of that, his work is top notch outstanding stuff. I got the same results with him that I got from one of the more respected cobblers in Paris. Overall, I would recommend him, but I would also warn anyone going to him that they should be explicit in outlining what work they want done."

Yep, definitely my experience :)

So assuming he is as good as people say he is, seems I need to be ultra specific on what I need. Is there anything specific I should be telling him? Any specific "rubber zip sole" I should go for? Anything I need to ask about edging?

Thanks! Good info.

Do you have another pair with combination tap soles? Showing him exactly what you want might help cut through the communication barrier. In my experience, it usually takes time (and a couple miscues) to establish a rapport with a tradesman. I know that's not what you want to hear but I've never found a short cut through the trial and error/getting to know you phase.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its an early end to the week to head out for a wedding. This makes it casual Wednesday for me and time to wear the Fenways.

I reached for my Fenways this morning, but ultimately settled on short wings. Figured I'd save the Fenways to pair with jeans tomorrow, as no one will be in the office. I just love the look of denim and longwings!! Btw, we may be the only 2 on this board with these, at least that have posted pics. (Maybe @Neo1 has them stashed in the waaaay back of his closet??)

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*sigh* I'm still a noob with only one pair of walnut I forget to wear them on Wednesday. On a better note, my brother has bought his SECOND pair, chili McGregor off the bank. Fairly confident that we hooked another one...(currently wearing Wolverine chelsea, super comfortable but nothing real photo worthy to post on an AE thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads