• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day back in the office in about 8 work days, so I'm not really sure what day of the week it is... That said, accidental Walnut Wednesday is better than no WW. LGA short wings and rust chinos today. Bright sun this morning, so sorry about the color not being exactly true.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shucks, the last Carlyle in Bourbon is gone. Oh well, ad that to my list of shoes I missed out on.

Since @Lobster33 is new to the forum, I elected to re-post "You should have called here yesterday" in the hopes he learns to pull the trigger when the shoe is in front of him.

When searching for great deals I find I’m always one step behind.
Dalton’s made of unicorn skin or Park Aves for 59.
“The shoe banks got a tremendous sale. They’re giving them away.”
I call the store about my size; “You should have called here yesterday.”

“We had your size stacked to the roof, a truckload or even more.
But then we shipped out most of them and sent the rest out to the store.”
The good stuffs gone and will not return. There’s only AAAs and belts in 58.
When I call the refrains the same; “You should have called here yesterday.”

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hot as balls in Charlotte today (88). The shoe of the day here would be a walnut Shreveport, but I guess my Strands will do.

Also, PSA, there is a brand new pair of #8 shell Randolph seconds in 12 D on the bay for $300.

Last edited:

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of the SAs I spoke to made a point to tell me not to use Conditioner on colors like Walnut or Dark Chili because it takes away some of the finish. Not sure if that's true or not, haven't tried it.

AE conditioner/cleaner does take a little off, but if you don't rub it hard it will be fine. Try using Bick 4. It seems to be better on burnished colors.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my Allen-Edmonds for Brooks Brothers black Strands (with wonderful Poiron insoles and combination tap soles and the original heels replaced with an all rubber heels) today.......

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since @Lobster33 is new to the forum, I elected to re-post "You should have called here yesterday" in the hopes he learns to pull the trigger when the shoe is in front of him.

When searching for great deals I find I’m always one step behind.
Dalton’s made of unicorn skin or Park Aves for 59.
“The shoe banks got a tremendous sale. They’re giving them away.”
I call the store about my size; “You should have called here yesterday.”

“We had your size stacked to the roof, a truckload or even more.
But then we shipped out most of them and sent the rest out to the store.”
The good stuffs gone and will not return. There’s only AAAs and belts in 58.
When I call the refrains the same; “You should have called here yesterday.”

Yes. I regret it now, because I had been looking at them for a few weeks. I just bought the Lasalle 2nds, but I should have held off and purchased the Carlyle instead since it was a closeout color.

I also went to the Nordstrom during my lunch break and they had a Carlyle in 8D (my size). It fit even better than my Leeds in 8D. I think the 108 last fits me even better than the 511.

CMT1

Reaction score
My Anniversary Sale Concord Ave loafers in stone suede were delivered today, and for $77 first-quality loafers I couldn't possibly be happier.

These will see a lot of warm-weather wear. :slayer:

Last edited:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I apologize for a second shoe pic, but my croc watch strap was delivered today that I had planned to use with my Orient automatic watch to imitate a Omega Seamaster Acqua terra... So I had to snap some pics.

Here is a close up on the watch for those interested.

Croc leather strap:

Watch I was trying to imitate:

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the SAs I spoke to made a point to tell me not to use Conditioner on colors like Walnut or Dark Chili because it takes away some of the finish. Not sure if that's true or not, haven't tried it.

Well I'm not sure how it impacts Walnut and Dark Chili of the nonburnished variety but my burnished bourbons lost color/burnishing with the AE conditioner which means I'm stuck using that premium polish only. Hopefully that is enough to care of the shoe? I tried Saphir renno and it took even more off so I'm not really sure what the solution is here.

AE conditioner/cleaner does take a little off, but if you don't rub it hard it will be fine. Try using Bick 4. It seems to be better on burnished colors.

I am 99% sure that the AE Cleaner/Conditioner contains some naphtha. Thats what dissolves the burnishing wax. If you don't want the burnishing altered, I would stick to the AE Leather Lotion, Lexol or Bick 4 (though I have never used Bick 4), and use the Cleaner Conditioner only when you want to remove layers of built up wax/polish. If your shoes are properly waxed, then a good brushing and a damp cloth will be sufficient to clean most of the time in my experience.

BTW I've used also used the AE Conditioner Cleaner to soften the gussets on my Daltons in order to get the tongue to set the way I like it. It seems to work well at that, but its possible that any of the other products I mentioned would work just as well.

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I regret it now, because I had been looking at them for a few weeks. I just bought the Lasalle 2nds, but I should have held off and purchased the Carlyle instead since it was a closeout color.

I also went to the Nordstrom during my lunch break and they had a Carlyle in 8D (my size). It fit even better than my Leeds in 8D. I think the 108 last fits me even better than the 511.

While I acknowledge the wisdom of "Strike while the iron is hot." The flip side is going overboard. Its REALLY easy to BUY, BUY, BUY. You may find yourself passing (or having to pass) on something special due to a previous recent purchase.

I say this after picking up 3 pairs in the last month, knowing of the potential ShellMTOgeddon approaching. As you can see its a vicious circle.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I acknowledge the wisdom of "Strike while the iron is hot." The flip side is going overboard. Its REALLY easy to BUY, BUY, BUY. You may find yourself passing (or having to pass) on something special due to a previous recent purchase.

I say this after picking up 3 pairs in the last month, knowing of the potential ShellMTOgeddon approaching. As you can see its a vicious circle.

Couldn't have said that any better. I recently found myself reacting to my regret of not purchasing some to buying several pairs during the sale. Even purchased shoes that weren't part of the sale like Dark Chili BB Warwicks because if they didn't fit right I was going to buy the sale version in oxblood. The circle is more like a maelstrom I cannot escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads