Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rrd0084

Rrd0084 Member

Can anyone convert the 511 last to the 114 last? I'm a 11b in the 511 and want to buy cavanaugh loafers in the 114?

2. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

I'm a big boot lover and have the Daltons. I'd definitely be interested in the Shaker Heights and Bayfield if they do bring them back. Are they on the same last as the Dalton?

3. Raibeart Bruis

Raibeart Bruis Member

OK, I have the AE conditioner cleaner already, I assume I should get the walnut premium polish? And will that discoloration really go away / fade with time?

Regards

4. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

@Neo1, I found this a couple days ago looking for sizing advice for the 108 (I didn't even know SF had articles!). It is factual, helpful, and lacking in your voice. I love your voice. I've read fit posts by you with no relevance to my own situation simply because they're fun to read. There were moments when I read the article that I wondered if you had written it, but there wasn't enough of the je ne sais quoi, that bit of spirit you imbue each of your posts with. I missed the digressions, the meandering anecdotes that tie everything together. So far as providing helpful advice, you achieved that. But I will look forward to your future fit posts in this forum, and the tremendous amount of thought and care you put into them.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016

5. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I find this fascinating....like in real life, many people kind of don't get my humor and I feel like I unintentionally rub people the wrong way when I absolutely don't mean to. I totally went out of my way to keep my opinion out of that article so I find it pretty wild that it was so apparent. I'll take that into account as I update it.

6. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I have the Dalton in 10.5D and the Cavanaugh in 11D. The Dalton fits nicely and feels like my feet are in Grand Central Station. The Cavanaugh, while not completely broken in, feel like my feet are in Petticoat Junction.

7. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Others may disagree, but I would not apply Conditioner/Cleaner without polishing after. My experience with Conditioner/Cleaner is that it dulls the polish. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

8. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

The Bayfield is on the 511 last like the Dalton, but the Shaker Heights is on the 73 last. I find the 73 last to be narrower than the 511 and possibly shorter too. The 8E Daltons I had were definitely too big for me, but my 8E Shaker heights don't fit all that bad.

9. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Conversely, I find the Shaker Heights to be slightly wider than my same-size/width Dalton.

10. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

That's my practice. After some Bick 4, I'll polish prior to wearing them again.

Having said that, I have a nagging suspicion that some of the brethren here may be conditioning as part of a routine and not because the leather needs it.

11. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Thought someone might find it useful, I was at Madison Ave AE store today and they had Burgundy shell cordovan Strands in size 10E. It was a SMU which was never picked up by the owner.

12. gm928

gm928 Senior member

I also have Shaker Heights, Dalton, and Bayfields, and I agree that the Shaker's seem a little bit roomier. I have all three in the same size and I'm satisfied that they all fit.

13. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Would it be too much to hope for a Bayfield in Shell?

14. gm928

gm928 Senior member

With the MTO program coming back, it should definitely be possible. But if the pricing is based on the anticipated $150 MTO upcharge on top of the base price for shell boots ($725 for the Daltons), you'd be looking at $875. For that price, you're close to Carmina's cordovan models.

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

73 last is definitely a tad shorter than 511 and DEFINITELY almost a full size wider at the ball. The toe is pointier, so depending on the taper of your foot, it may seem narrower when in fact it isn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.