• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Air tie - faux pas or fashionable?

jjacks

Reaction score
David Lynch wears an air tie well, but is this a fashionable option for the rest of us?

Sometimes a tie feels too formal but I still desire to button my shirt all the way up, as I find it frames my face better than an open-collared shirt.

Most other men I have seen donning the air tie are not company with whom I wish to be associated. Examples include men in skinny jeans and **trendy** floral/dotted printed shirts, rebellious schoolboys, and the Jonas Brothers.

Is there a way of buttoning a dress shirt all the way up without looking amateur?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMO, this sort of thing only works when it's part of a whole look and isn't just some style gimmick. And it usually works better when it's part what you would call "rebellious schoolboy" look. If you don't want to look like that, it's prob a bad idea.

jjacks

Reaction score
The thing I don’t like about the “rebellious schoolboy” look is it gives the impression one is eschewing the tie because one doesn’t like to wear ties. I generally like wearing ties, but there are just instances when it would be best to not wear one.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The thing I don’t like about the “rebellious schoolboy” look is it gives the impression one is eschewing the tie because one doesn’t like to wear ties. I generally like wearing ties, but there are just instances when it would be best to not wear one.

By "rebellious schoolboy" look I mean guys like David Lynch, ASAP Rocky, the original skinheads, etc. I don't think they're really "rebellious schoolboy," but they have a rebel look. I think it can work, but those aren't the types of looks typically posted about on this board.

jjacks

Reaction score
Do you know of any examples of someone wearing an air tie with an outfit more akin to the classic menswear looks on this board?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything. I think it's a bit outside of "classic style."
Classic in some circles:

1561016618800.png
"Anyone who does not follow the line determined by me will be smashed" - Nguyen the Accomplished

20110825110251_3.jpg

@Riva some inspiration for your safari jacket fits

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
godawful

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This.

It’s like that thread about wearing a suit with sneakers. People posted up a whole bunch of pics - none of which would not have been improved with something like loafers or a more ‘traditional’ suity shoe.

I'll never understand how you have David Bowie as your Styfo name and avatar.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll never understand how you have David Bowie as your Styfo name and avatar.
What’s so hard to understand?
Why do you have Eliot Richardson (or is it Ryan Lizza:D)?
Why are you named ‘dieworkwear’? Can workwear die? If you don’t like workwear why do you feature it? Why does your website say ‘a semi-daily ...’ but you only update it every few days not twice a day?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads