• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Air tie - faux pas or fashionable?

jjacks

Reaction score
David Lynch wears an air tie well, but is this a fashionable option for the rest of us?

Sometimes a tie feels too formal but I still desire to button my shirt all the way up, as I find it frames my face better than an open-collared shirt.

Most other men I have seen donning the air tie are not company with whom I wish to be associated. Examples include men in skinny jeans and **trendy** floral/dotted printed shirts, rebellious schoolboys, and the Jonas Brothers.

Is there a way of buttoning a dress shirt all the way up without looking amateur?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMO, this sort of thing only works when it's part of a whole look and isn't just some style gimmick. And it usually works better when it's part what you would call "rebellious schoolboy" look. If you don't want to look like that, it's prob a bad idea.

jjacks

Reaction score
The thing I don’t like about the “rebellious schoolboy” look is it gives the impression one is eschewing the tie because one doesn’t like to wear ties. I generally like wearing ties, but there are just instances when it would be best to not wear one.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The thing I don’t like about the “rebellious schoolboy” look is it gives the impression one is eschewing the tie because one doesn’t like to wear ties. I generally like wearing ties, but there are just instances when it would be best to not wear one.
By "rebellious schoolboy" look I mean guys like David Lynch, ASAP Rocky, the original skinheads, etc. I don't think they're really "rebellious schoolboy," but they have a rebel look. I think it can work, but those aren't the types of looks typically posted about on this board.

jjacks

Reaction score
Do you know of any examples of someone wearing an air tie with an outfit more akin to the classic menswear looks on this board?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you know of any examples of someone wearing an air tie with an outfit more akin to the classic menswear looks on this board?
I haven't seen anything. I think it's a bit outside of "classic style."

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything. I think it's a bit outside of "classic style."
Classic in some circles:

1561016618800.png
"Anyone who does not follow the line determined by me will be smashed" - Nguyen the Accomplished

@Riva some inspiration for your safari jacket fits

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
godawful

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This.

It’s like that thread about wearing a suit with sneakers. People posted up a whole bunch of pics - none of which would not have been improved with something like loafers or a more ‘traditional’ suity shoe.
I'll never understand how you have David Bowie as your Styfo name and avatar.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll never understand how you have David Bowie as your Styfo name and avatar.
What’s so hard to understand?
Why do you have Eliot Richardson (or is it Ryan Lizza:D)?
Why are you named ‘dieworkwear’? Can workwear die? If you don’t like workwear why do you feature it? Why does your website say ‘a semi-daily ...’ but you only update it every few days not twice a day?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 56 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 108 34.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 93 29.2%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 35 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%