• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silentb0b

Reaction score
I don't think most people here are concerned about the hype factor, but rather not being able to justify the increase in price tag while quality may potentially decrease. Lots of brands can't keep up with the speed of their success.
Frankly, I don't get the narrative about steep price increases (with a few exceptions). I have bought the very first iteration of the uniform hoodie (Kanga Hoodie back then) for close to 200$ - the difference to today is not as high. ALD always was expensive, I also have this jacket, which was close a thousand USD retail in 2017. They had a few "Made to order" collections in the past where wool trousers ran up to 400 USD as well. I get the point about the potential quality decrease and then there's also the fact that they moved 90% of production to China while keeping the same prices but that's old news since 2018. Back then they just didn't communicate it, there was a little tag inside the garment stating as much. Now at least they say it on their website. Prices, at least here in Europe, are rising across the board and I am sure ALD is also facing an increase in material, staff and prefreight costs. Also, ALD was always overpriced, it's the fit, colorways, patterns, small details, etc. that make their stuff special.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he was talking about potential price increases and/or quality decreases due to the brand expanding. It hasn't really happened yet for ALD but if you look at recent examples of other brands it has happened.

A lot of people complained that Uniqlo's quality decreased after they expanded their stores (from being in NYC only to throughout the US) and online presence. Another example is John Elliott, they have raised prices significantly from when they first started and this happened before the pandemic.

Paulinuhhh

Reaction score
Pretty upset with myself for not reserving a pair of 650s. Is it likely they’ll do a regular release for these too?

nonnative

Reaction score
Frankly, I don't get the narrative about steep price increases (with a few exceptions). I have bought the very first iteration of the uniform hoodie (Kanga Hoodie back then) for close to 200$ - the difference to today is not as high. ALD always was expensive, I also have this jacket, which was close a thousand USD retail in 2017. They had a few "Made to order" collections in the past where wool trousers ran up to 400 USD as well. I get the point about the potential quality decrease and then there's also the fact that they moved 90% of production to China while keeping the same prices but that's old news since 2018. Back then they just didn't communicate it, there was a little tag inside the garment stating as much. Now at least they say it on their website. Prices, at least here in Europe, are rising across the board and I am sure ALD is also facing an increase in material, staff and prefreight costs. Also, ALD was always overpriced, it's the fit, colorways, patterns, small details, etc. that make their stuff special.
This simply isn’t true except for the uniform line which hasn’t changed that much. I started buying around 2016 as well and most outerwear including most nylon and heavier knits were in the $200 to $400 range and the made to order wool pants were $250. Now that’s flannel button up territory. You can hop in the way back machine and look for yourself.

Silentb0b

Reaction score
This simply isn’t true except for the uniform line which hasn’t changed that much. I started buying around 2016 as well and most outerwear including most nylon and heavier knits were in the $200 to $400 range and the made to order wool pants were $250. Now that’s flannel button up territory. You can hop in the way back machine and look for yourself.
Well, firstly the wool pants in question were way before 2016. Also, they always had very expensive items in their line up. In 2016 they had a zip hoodie which was way above 300$. The prices have increased, but certainly not as high as some people make it out to be. ALD was always expensive, stop acting like they were on a level with other streetwear brands, that sentiment is simply false. I highly suggest you'll join me in the time machine, it seems your memory is clouded ;)

nonnative

Reaction score
Well, firstly the wool pants in question were way before 2016. Also, they always had very expensive items in their line up. In 2016 they had a zip hoodie which was way above 300$. The prices have increased, but certainly not as high as some people make it out to be. ALD was always expensive, stop acting like they were on a level with other streetwear brands, that sentiment is simply false. I highly suggest you'll join me in the time machine, it seems your memory is clouded ;)
lol ok bud. I take it you dont know what the wayback machine is, its got nothing to do with my memory. Let me show you:

These are random snapshots of the website from 2014, 2015, and 2016. Now please try to tell me how the prices haven't gone up substantially.

Silentb0b

Reaction score
lol ok bud. I take it you dont know what the wayback machine is, its got nothing to do with my memory. Let me show you:

These are random snapshots of the website from 2014, 2015, and 2016. Now please try to tell me how the prices haven't gone up substantially.
Actually I didn't. TIL...
Thanks for that and I take that part back. Still some prices are similar, some are higher now. I mean, there was a waffle tank top for 95$(!!!) How is that not expensive? Most people who complain about the prices came to ALD in 2018/2019 and the increases aren't as steep as they are made out to be. I still stand by that.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do some feel as though prices on items should stay the same if all the inputs to create said items change and increase? Raw goods, textiles, oil, labor, etc, all have increased and they've been consistently increasing over time. I wouldn't expect a brand like ALD (or anyone for that matter) to just take a lower margin because a few people feel as though the state of clothing prices shouldn't change. There's also the matter that the brand doesn't need to keep a lower price as the market has shown it's more than willing to pay the current prices.

To end....everything used to be cheaper in years past....so there's that.

IChen

Reaction score
Why do some feel as though prices on items should stay the same if all the inputs to create said items change and increase? Raw goods, textiles, oil, labor, etc, all have increased and they've been consistently increasing over time. I wouldn't expect a brand like ALD (or anyone for that matter) to just take a lower margin because a few people feel as though the state of clothing prices shouldn't change. There's also the matter that the brand doesn't need to keep a lower price as the market has shown it's more than willing to pay the current prices.

some people are consumers, some people are consumers with awareness

nonnative

Reaction score

That’s not the issue. It’s natural for prices to increase when everything else is increasing. The issue is how rapidly the prices have increased.
My first piece from ALD was the 16 lightweight bomber. It was $290 and made with Japanese cotton, made to order in NYC, and had RiRi hardware. Browsing the site now, $295 gets you a made in China fleece overshirt with plastic snap buttons. That’s insane in a 5ish year span.

nonnative

Reaction score
Actually I didn't. TIL...
Thanks for that and I take that part back. Still some prices are similar, some are higher now. I mean, there was a waffle tank top for 95$(!!!) How is that not expensive? Most people who complain about the prices came to ALD in 2018/2019 and the increases aren't as steep as they are made out to be. I still stand by that.
You’re partially right. The barrier to entry has always been a bit in the higher side because they likely never wanted to be cross shopped with brands like say Obey, Dime, etc. so their entry items like t shirts and hats have remained relatively unchanged in terms of price.

It’s the top end that has exploded. See my post above. And i don’t subscribe to the made in China = automatically bad quality way of thinking cause it isn’t true. But it is a way for them to cut their own costs and pair that with how they’ve raised their prices aggressively and that certainly leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

IChen

Reaction score
That’s not the issue. It’s natural for prices to increase when everything else is increasing. The issue is how rapidly the prices have increased.
My first piece from ALD was the 16 lightweight bomber. It was $290 and made with Japanese cotton, made to order in NYC, and had RiRi hardware. Browsing the site now, $295 gets you a made in China fleece overshirt with plastic snap buttons. That’s insane in a 5ish year span.

Yes because can you imagine how expensive the cost would be now with Japanese cotton? And RiRi hardware which has likely gone up in price too?
Then you add up all the other usual expenses like shoots and modeling...did you expect that Japanese cotton with MTO in NYC and RiRi hardware to only be like $320 now?

Have you followed the prices in cotton, let alone Japanese cotton?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads