• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The suit is a bust except if you wear it out on the evening of the October 31st with platform shoes and a super wide collar shirt. Then you will be "Stayin Alive"

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^
IMO that was Travolta's best movie.

I also love the parody they done of it in the 'Airplane' movies. :D

Last edited:

Truism

Reaction score
Hey all. Thanks for the responses. As you may have recognized from the post title, I came into this kinda negative. Didn't seem like this guy could make it onto the street without "Night Fever" playing in the background to justify it. Thanks to Klobber and cptjeff in re the lapel narrowing and possibly selling it forward. With Halloween this month I might try to incorporate it, but it might be better off in some collectors' hands or something. It's a weird one to stumble upon- flipped up the lapels basically come up to my ears.

Who knows? It's been about 20 years since the 70s were back in style. Maybe a resurgence is nigh. Meantime, I'm gonna bust out my men's belted sweater and mega point collars

jessedarko

Reaction score
I would have to agree with nearly everyone else. Do not wear this suit.

I would, however, keep it for theme parties and halloween.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP: do yourself a favor and ignore most of the trendy/ignorant responses you have received here so far. If this was handed down to you, you will want to keep it, no matter for what occasion. From experience: if you don't, you are going to regret it.

Drudged

Reaction score
I'm a fan of bigger lapels, but the jacket is beyond anything that I would deem wearable. As others have state though, a competent tailor might be able to slim them down to your liking. Also, I kinda like the large patch pockets.

The pants are an easy alteration though, and can be trimmed down to a slimmer straight leg without much difficulty. I don't see a reason that you couldn't keep the waistcoat as an odd vest for layering purposes.

PregnantBob

Reaction score
Even though Tom Ford is channelling the old YSL catalogues

http://www.tomford.com/#/en/menswear/autumnwinter2011?styleNumber=12

... it's still smaller. I think getting the lapels trimmed down a tad will work... should you want to keep it at all.

Won't lie, I have a YSL rive gauche suit by Stefano Pilati and it's almost like yours except the lapels are the size of the Tom Ford ones above and I had the flare legs tapered in. Now it's a decent garden party suit.

cassidy96

Reaction score
not a fan either. it's not something that i will wear on a daily basis, but as a costumer - halloween perhaps?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The waistcoat you can salvage for casual wear.

The coat lapels are simply too wide to save. You'd need a talented tailor and several hundred dollars to make it work.

The trousers are probably salvageable, but ultimately you have to ask whether you like them as odd trousers.

The advice to flip them or keep them as "costume" is good, not much alternative i'm afraid.

Leonwich

Reaction score
I'm no fashion guru, but I do love suits froms the 70's.
I think it's a matter of attitude.
I've wear a blue Gucci double brested suit to weddings and it has been a hit!
From your pictures I can tell that I would defenetly wear it, specially if among friends or to a night club, even to a date. And if you dont think you are going to feel confortable wearing it, I guess you might need to limit its use to "fun" ocations.
You are young and you can put on whatever you want, just do it with style; when I have done so, I have enjoyed the fun and the luck of daring to be different ( if you get what I mean).
But, if you are still not willing to go out in the suit... well, I will always have room for it in my closet and I good ocation to wear it! (promise will send pics)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads