• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for matching tie with pinstripe suit

Consoneo

Reaction score
I've always thought a little contrast from the shirt to the tie is nice. Can you post a picture of the shirt and suit on you without a tie? That might help.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
I'm not fan of monotone tie to shirt matches and that seems to be a real likelihood here.
Maybe a white shirt with that tie?

choppington88

Reaction score

Here's a picture, the color came out a little lighter because of the flash but the shirt itself is a fairly light shade of purple. I was thinking about buying a pair of moccasins but I read that oxfords are a better choice with this type of suit.

Consoneo

Reaction score
Definitely go with the oxfords.

As a disclaimer, I'm not an expert, and am just going by what I would think looks good. I know you're looking for a second opinion in addition to your own thoughts, so I'm just throwing them out there.

As for ties, I think a darker color would be nice to offset the shirt. Not so dark as the suit, but somewhere in between.

Maybe for something simple, give this a shot:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Stefa...%2C722%2C&eItemId=prod143300013&cmCat=product

If you're still digging your original selection, though, I like this one as an alternative because it's a bit darker:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Brion...%2C726%2C&eItemId=prod145820050&cmCat=product

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several pinstripe suits that range from almost black to lighter navy. I'm not a fan of strong patterned ties with pinstripe suits -- they look too "busy." My favorite ties for pinstripe suits are pin-dots -- small white dots against a red or blue background with a white or light blue shirt.

atila

Reaction score
I guess a really dark purple grenadine would be good with the combo you want to use?

or something like this:

ESPECIALLY if you are wearing a vest, you need a more subdued tie. Your suit is loud, make sure your shirt and tie are not.

edit: by the way, these pics are both from Kent Wang

Last edited:

Poloboy

Reaction score
All of the ties you have selected look horrible.

Please choose a white shirt with a dark red or maroon color tie, with smal white
pin dots or polkadots.

This will give you a nice contrast, and still be dressy.

Suntory

Reaction score
silk shirt?

goodness

Here's a picture, the color came out a little lighter because of the flash but the shirt itself is a fairly light shade of purple. I was thinking about buying a pair of moccasins but I read that oxfords are a better choice with this type of suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads