• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

advice for buying wedding tux online

lrmahmood

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post, but I've already read a ton on the forums, and have decided to go with the classic peak lapel. It is an outdoor wedding around sunset, with an evening reception, so a black tux seems in order. (Don't worry, we have a tent so rain won't ruin our day).

In terms of where to get a decent tux, I'm confused by the massive price differentials in online stores.

For example, here is a Ralph Lauren (Polo) tux that someone on a thread recommended for $1500 (which is more than I want to spend).
http://www.ralphlauren.com/prod-12/3....1766339.shtml

However, here is another Ralph Lauren tux (SoHo) from a discount online retailer for only $350. http://www.finetuxedos.com/Pages/Pac...Lauren+Tuxedos

Can someone explain what the difference is, and why I would be an idiot to buy the second? It looks very tempting.

Also if anyone can recommend alternate sources online for a decent quality tux in the $400-800 range, it would be appreciated. I currently live abroad and will have to return about two weeks before the wedding, and want to have it waiting for me so I can get it tailored right then.

Thanks in advance everyone!

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph has many different lines, which means that many undesirable garments are "Ralph Lauren" in one way or another.

If $1500 is too much for you, how about Brooks Brothers? The basic Brooks tuxes are about $1000, a little more than your budget, but you can be assured of looking good.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lrmahmood
Can someone explain what the difference is, and why I would be an idiot to buy the second? It looks very tempting.
The less expensive tuxedo is from a lower line which may or may not matter to you. Check eBay. Within your budget of < $800 you could find a terrific tuxedo. There's a new 40R Oxxford for $675 for instance.

lrmahmood

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies!

1. That post on the different Ralph Lauren lines was invaluable. I'm assuming the same thing is going on with all the other $2-400 "designer" tuxes online.

2. Brooks brothers' cheapest single breasted peak lapel is $1600. The shawl doesn't look bad, but I think looks a bit too old school to me for some reason.

3. Hart Shaffner and Marx appear to only carry notch tuxedos, which I've been warned against by many on this site. Although there is something to be said for following the fashion sense of the president I voted for.

I'll look on the forums for general advice on purchasing via ebay. Seems a bit risky to me, but it seems pretty common practice here, so I'll look into it.

Thanks again.

Doc4

Reaction score

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lrmahmood
Thanks for the quick replies!

1. That post on the different Ralph Lauren lines was invaluable. I'm assuming the same thing is going on with all the other $2-400 "designer" tuxes online.

2. Brooks brothers' cheapest single breasted peak lapel is $1600. The shawl doesn't look bad, but I think looks a bit too old school to me for some reason.

3. Hart Shaffner and Marx appear to only carry notch tuxedos, which I've been warned against by many on this site. Although there is something to be said for following the fashion sense of the president I voted for.

I'll look on the forums for general advice on purchasing via ebay. Seems a bit risky to me, but it seems pretty common practice here, so I'll look into it.

Thanks again.

You can always seek advice here about ebay sellers. Meanwhile, check out virtualclotheshorse.com. The owner, Lance, is a regular here and a really terrific guy.

lrmahmood

Reaction score
Thanks philosophe. Is there a definitive post about buying suits/tuxes through ebay that tells us newbies what to look for in terms of a seller and the quality of the item?

Instinctually I would just search for my size, and then when I see something search on the forums/google for the seller's name, and the designer of the suit to see what people think. But maybe there's one post that has ratings of a bunch of brands that are often on ebay or something? I searched a bit for it but was getting too many results to sift through.

Thanks again everyone for your helpful comments.

redwolf999

Reaction score
i rented a polo tux from a local guy and it was the best choice. it ended up be thrown in the bottom of my bag before we went to mexico and was almost ruined but i wasnt charged extra or anything

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like many of the manufacturers are switching to notch lapels. I'm shopping for a tux myself and can't find one. Polo's non black label tux is notch, HSM's is, Hickey Freeman's, Paul Stuart's Powder tux and many others I've found. The only classic one I've seen is Paul Stuart's Choice tux at $2800 and Brooks Brother's at $1600. To me that is crazy for only wearing them once every couple years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads