• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice/help for my wedding near Houston

rjc149

Reaction score
The skinny tie, overly short, overly tight suits look broke the rule book so discussions of what is proper is a waste in 2022.
'Skinny everything' didn't break any rules. The universal consensus among those who seek to be well-dressed in tailored menswear is that this is a stupid Instagram influencer look that actually reinforces the rules by presenting an example of what to avoid.

Not to sound sexist, but a lot of female-curated menswear falls within the Instagram influencer aesthetic and really should be avoided. That being said, if the bride insists on the groomsmen looking like Peaky Blinders, the OP can decide if that preference should be incorporated -- I don't think he'll get much love for it here though.

The fact that the OP is in Houston, which is in a semi-arid climate, would make a morning dress outfit even less desirable than the fact that it's practically a period costume.

I realize menswear "rules" are different down in Texas. I've never even been to Texas so I can't opine from that perspective.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having read through all these posts I am coming around from my original argument to believe, instead, that if the OP wants to wear an outfit like the photo he posted, he should just do it. (This is not snark, I'm sincere.) It's his wedding after all. My initial concern was the inutility (is that an English word? "Inutile" in Italian) of that outfit going forward, but so what?

Many of my friends went to art school. Their weddings featured outrageous displays of wild, improvised outfits--both men and women. A memorable one was on a battleship in Fall River, Mass; the name of the band was Talking Heads (before they were famous). The older I get the less I like strict dress codes from bygone eras, even if I often conform to them personally.

Unfortunately today's freedom to wear whatever you want has devolved into self-delusion and disrespect--for others but also for oneself. ("Nobody cares what I wear." Dream on.) People who wear cargo shorts and Crocs out to dinner in a city center deserve no more respect than they are showing to others, or to themselves.

But getting back to the OP. He's looking to make an individual statement with that wedding outfit, and I support that. Even if he'll never wear that coat again.

rjc149

Reaction score
For what it's worth, my brother will be wearing a tux with a green dinner jacket to his wedding this fall, and will be the only person at the wedding in black tie (mentioning this earlier would have provided more insight into the previous discussion). This will be a single-use novelty garment as he has never, to my knowledge, attended a black tie event, and does not live a lifestyle which invites him to them.

My brother is not known as a man who reacts positively to suggestion or critique on his attire. He will wear his green dinner jacket apart from everyone else wearing suits, and not care if follows etiquette or not. I will tell him his tux looks sharp, and knowing him, it will. It's his wedding, after all.

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
Because Black Tie is a dress code, not a costume for special people. A dress code applies to an event.
In the real world, this is the case. However, I often wonder if the black tie rig/dinner suit would not survive longer if it was not only worn to black tie events.
Imagine if, on booking an evening table in a fancy restaurant, you felt equally comfortable throwing on your suit or your tuxedo. Or if, in a fancy bar, two or three men in full black tie didn't look any more out-of-place than the dozen guys in suits and the group of younger men in stylish casual wear.
Far more people might then consider keeping one in the wardrobe-and we would be far more used to seeing people wearing it.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the real world, this is the case. However, I often wonder if the black tie rig/dinner suit would not survive longer if it was not only worn to black tie events.
Imagine if, on booking an evening table in a fancy restaurant, you felt equally comfortable throwing on your suit or your tuxedo. Or if, in a fancy bar, two or three men in full black tie didn't look any more out-of-place than the dozen guys in suits and the group of younger men in stylish casual wear.
Far more people might then consider keeping one in the wardrobe-and we would be far more used to seeing people wearing it.

Some people wear dinner jackets out to dinner and look great doing it. The only one comes to mind is Andy.

I don't trying to make DJ's a restaurant norm is even close to reality. Sportcoats are a big ask these days. Wife and I went to a Michellin starred Japanese place here in LA a couple weeks back - eye watering prices, and I was the only one who even had any tailoring on of the men.

A dinner suit / jacket was never a garment that every man had, and it doesn't need to be now. You either live a life where black tie events are a thing you go to or you don't. Either is fine.

If you want to have a black tie wedding, by all means please do and encourage everyone to wear BT. If you will attend other BT events, have one made if it suits you. If you won't, rent if it suits you.

Better yet, if BT doesn't suit your life, get married in a suit - something you will definitely be able to use again.

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
I don't trying to make DJ's a restaurant norm is even close to reality...... You either live a life where black tie events are a thing you go to or you don't.
Obviously that is the way now, and there is no going back.
I just think that if tuxedos were not confined to events that were explicitly black tie, might habits like Andy's be more widespread, if not exactly common.

Or maybe it's the opposite-the existence of black tie events has kept it alive longer that it might have. Look at how morning dress is still alive among small portions of British society.

Mister Templar

Reaction score
Howdy everyone,

I'm getting married in October, and I need to get moving on my suit/tux. My future wife and I have very specific taste, so a rented tux is the last resort.

We originally had something like a morning suit or tailcoat in mind, but I'm not a fan of the cutaway on either. Then after some googling we found this from a Ralph Lauren fashion show, and she started giving me that look. Sadly, their website shows neither hide nor hair of it.

It looks to me like a simple vest/pants combo with a 3/4 or full length top coat. My question is, can you get that style of coat as a tux jacket without going full bespoke and blowing $4k on it? If not, are there more reasonable ways to get that style while being suitable for a wedding?

I know this is way late, now it's for anyone reading in the future.

You'd have to go full bespoke. While reading the responses about Morning Suits being cosplay and such, I had to roll my eyes. In Europe, Morning dress is still very much alive and many in the US among established families favor it, because it does add details over the more commonplace tuxedo.

One of the reasons most pooh-pooh it is that many clothiers are "cheaping out" in their product lines. If, in 2022, they have a hard time getting people to wear ties or jackets, they figure maintaining a Euro-friendly formal wardrobe is a waste of time and money. They're probably right.

Also, it's important to note that style and fashion aren't about conformity. Bespoke is all about individuality. While dress codes and conventions are nice, if more people thought outside the fashion box, the clothing/fashion industry would be in much better shape.

Mike Colady

Reaction score
Howdy everyone,

I'm getting married in October, and I need to get moving on my suit/tux. My future wife and I have very specific taste, so a rented tux is the last resort.

We originally had something like a morning suit or tailcoat in mind, but I'm not a fan of the cutaway on either. Then after some googling we found this from a Ralph Lauren fashion show, and she started giving me that look. Sadly, their website shows neither hide nor hair of it.

It looks to me like a simple vest/pants combo with a 3/4 or full length top coat. My question is, can you get that style of coat as a tux jacket without going full bespoke and blowing $4k on it? If not, are there more reasonable ways to get that glueless wigs style while being suitable for a wedding?
Hey sorry for bumping an old thread.

I've also plans of wedding this year and same like you, I'm worried about my dress. Above all, due to baldness, I've to wear wig so this really frustrate me that which type of wig I should wear like glueless wig, bob wig, front lace wig, etc?
Can someone please help in this regard?

Thanks in advance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads