• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advantages of RLPL suits over RLBL ?

GQhustler

Reaction score
First of all, before addressing my orginal question, I would like to know which is the slimmer line of suits and how does RLPL compare to RLBL in this arena? I know RLBL is known to be slim, but I haven't heard the same for RLPL, or the opposite for that matter.

Now on to my orginal question: What are the advantages to RLPL over RLBL? I imagine RLPL has a lot of hand-work, fine detail and superior construction, but does it justify double the retail price?

Now if it were a SF deal and one is looking at $900 for a RLPL suit vs $650 for a RLBL suit, is the decision to pay more for the former a no brainer due to the relatively marginal price difference?

I ask because I am looking to invest in a few nice suits and I know I like the slim cut of the BL line, but I have never tried on a PL suit and may not know what I would be missing. Any guidance would be helpful.

As a side note, if anyone has or will have for sale any RL Purple Label or Black Label suits in 38S or 38R, please PM me as I am looking to purchase 3-4 suits. Thank you

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i just go to say rlpl silhouettes (st andrews ones) are very sharp. they are relatively still slim, but it isnt the first feature you notice on it like you do on rlbl silhouettes.
i dont know how to decribe, it looks very mature, sharp, well-defined and in some ways very diplomatic. very agreeable visually and pleasing/flattering for even the some peculiar body types

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
RLPL tends to be slightly better constructed, uses better fabrics, and is generally more conservative in cut, style, cloth, and detailing.

RLBL is more fashion-forward, slimmer, and more daring/less conservative in fabric choices and detailing. Not quite as nicely made as RLPL, but then, still very good quality for a considerably lower price.

Both RLBL and RLPL suits are great, especially at discount. Which one you choose depends on what you are looking for in a suit. If you want conservative, go with purple. If you want slim and trendy, go with black.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
also, rlpl although better made than rlbl , it is not by too much. from the rlbls ive handled the quality and construction is still way up there and i would consider it higher than belvest, on par with isaia (more so in the fabrics), and the same if not better than the regular caruso line . i have seen a couple of sartoria parma raffaele caruso and not only the fabrics/construction is NOT better than rlbl caruso as many claim it to be, but the fits are not as good as the rlbl caruso.
again, my experience

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
also, rlpl although better made than rlbl , it is not by too much. from the rlbls ive handled the quality and construction is still way up there and i would consider it higher than belvest, on par with isaia (more so in the fabrics), and the same if not better than the regular caruso line . i have seen a couple of sartoria parma raffaele caruso and not only the fabrics/construction is NOT better than rlbl caruso as many claim it to be, but the fits are not as good as the rlbl caruso.
again, my experience

Fabric of rlpl is heads and shoulders above rlbl imo.

Scoundrel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i just go to say rlpl silhouettes (st andrews ones) are very sharp. they are relatively still slim, but it isnt the first feature you notice on it like you do on rlbl silhouettes.
i dont know how to decribe, it looks very mature, sharp, well-defined and in some ways very diplomatic. very agreeable visually and pleasing/flattering for even the some peculiar body types

+1

Purple Label is a better investment, easily, IMO

Keep in mind most popular readymade brands are catering to the slim fit crowd, and come slim fitted already, whether readily advertised or not. Debating over the slimness between Purple Label and Black Label is like arguing over how many angels may dance on the head of a needle.

And Black Label is the poor man's Purple Label
lol8[1].gif
peepwall[1].gif

Chim12

Reaction score
IF looking to buy a few (4-5) then you'll have a great mix, if you're only going to buy a couple and are forced into choosing it's a simple choice, go with the PLs IMO

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLPL is a totally different cut and silhouette from RLBL.

Go with whichever suits your body best.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With Black Label you risk looking dated in a few years. It's more trendy and, as many others have said, very slim.

RLPL, while not as slim as Black Label, is not your father's sack suit. It is a classically-tailored, fitted, British-style cut (while made in Italy). Construction is far superior to Black Label (which is itself very good).

Which is better for you really depends on (1) your body type, and (2) what you need it for. RLPL is more conservative, but just as striking.

swaggerisaliability

Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
With Black Label you risk looking dated in a few years. It's more trendy and, as many others have said, very slim.

RLPL, while not as slim as Black Label, is not your father's sack suit. It is a classically-tailored, fitted, British-style cut (while made in Italy). Construction is far superior to Black Label (which is itself very good).

Which is better for you really depends on (1) your body type, and (2) what you need it for. RLPL is more conservative, but just as striking.

Good answer. I agree wholeheartedly.

jungshoe

Reaction score
Another difference is the depth of the vents. RLBL has (relatively) shallower vents, RLPL has deeper vents, at least an inch difference. IMO deeper vents are more aesthetically-pleasing.

rw61485

Reaction score
so then the next question obviously is for someone living and working in NYC .. for the means to pay for both but with a desire to get a good deal.. where to buy?!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads