• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why would you buy an expensive designer suit vs having a suit made?

Antigoneikari

Reaction score
I was recently looking at what it would cost to have a suit made from a reputable tailor in NYC. The prices were very reasonable, and comparable to buying a suit from a designer…so my question is, why would anyone buy a designer suit over having a suit made for them?

krudsma

Reaction score
It's more about who makes the cut and style that you like better. If you like the cut that the designer offers and it fits you well enough within the bounds of alteration, you're usually better off buying that then trying to have a tailor recreate that for you. Also, it depends on how you define custom made (i.e. made to measure vs. bespoke) and how you define designer (i.e. Tom Ford, or Dries Van Noten? Designer designer stuff is kind of a different ball game and worn for a different purpose), but there's plenty of off-the-rack stuff that's made to a higher quality standard than most made-to-measure stuff. Custom has it's benefits, especially if you have non-standard measurements, but it's not inherently better. It's about if you like the look and feel of the end product.

leapyourbar

Reaction score
Having had suits made by Solito and Orazio Luciano this year, I would take this over spending triple the amount at Isaia, Brioni, Cucinelli, etc. etc. Maybe some people don't want the headache of multiple fittings, I guess? I've wondered the same.

acconrad

Reaction score
For me, I just know my measurements really well and so I could get a used Kiton or Attolini for much cheaper than bespoke even if I include alterations.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on body type as well. I'm a reliable 42/52L and can luckily buy OTR without needing major alterations.

Reaction score
Perhaps residual value. You could buy a Attolini suit on sale for about $2000 and recoup $5-800 depending on its condition.

Bespoke suits are hard to get rid of once you get sick of them. Unless you go for known houses like Solito, Orazio Luciano, Pirozzi, etc. But then you're not exactly spending a small sum either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads