• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

JDelage

Reaction score
What would be a good alternative to the JMM Comanche, with similar style cues and comparable quality?

1_Comanche_Reserve_front.jpg

2_Comanche_Reserve_3-4.jpg

ramsker

Reaction score
As you pointed out, the lenses don't have the high spec bronze AR that the Mykitas do, but the IC! lenses aren't bad. I believe they use nylon and at least some of their lenses are Zeiss according to them. Definitely better quality optics than polycarbonate, but not quite up there with some of the standouts like Leisure Society, Salt, and Mykita.

Have you gotten your hands on the Mykita Polarized Pro lens yet?

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Have you gotten your hands on the Mykita Polarized Pro lens yet?

I haven't, mine are the MY+ polarized lenses. Looking at the site they call it a urethane lens, so it must be some type of Trivex. These frames require stronger lenses to deal with the stresses in the grooves of the lens, so that makes sense. Trivex and nylon are the higher optical quality strong materials vs polycarbonate. Iirc it still can't beat the low chromatic aberration of cr39 or the clarity of glass, but those materials could chip in a sheetmetal frame.

On a related note, IC! Berlin has also been introducing some Trivex lenses into their line; I have a pair of those that work very nicely. Theirs are high contrast photochromic lenses, though, so not exactly the same application as the polarized neutrals it looks like Mykita is doing.

ramsker

Reaction score
I haven't, mine are the MY+ polarized lenses. Looking at the site they call it a urethane lens, so it must be some type of Trivex. These frames require stronger lenses to deal with the stresses in the grooves of the lens, so that makes sense. Trivex and nylon are the higher optical quality strong materials vs polycarbonate. Iirc it still can't beat the low chromatic aberration of cr39 or the clarity of glass, but those materials could chip in a sheetmetal frame.

On a related note, IC! Berlin has also been introducing some Trivex lenses into their line; I have a pair of those that work very nicely. Theirs are high contrast photochromic lenses, though, so not exactly the same application as the polarized neutrals it looks like Mykita is doing.

I've had some experience with lenses that use the material that I think they are using, and it's the best lens I've ever tried that wasn't glass.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
I've had some experience with lenses that use the material that I think they are using, and it's the best lens I've ever tried that wasn't glass.

Do you mean trivex or that specific supplier? It is nice to see more manufacturers pairing trivex lenses with anti reflective coatings. Many sport optics makers are hesitant to use AR because it can make the lens brittle, but trivex is shatterproof. Pilla makes the best ones I've tried and coats both sides of the lens for their low light filtrations; I think there's a photo on their site of them folding one of their lenses in a vise until the edges touch and the material still doesn't snap.

ramsker

Reaction score
Do you mean trivex or that specific supplier? It is nice to see more manufacturers pairing trivex lenses with anti reflective coatings. Many sport optics makers are hesitant to use AR because it can make the lens brittle, but trivex is shatterproof. Pilla makes the best ones I've tried and coats both sides of the lens for their low light filtrations; I think there's a photo on their site of them folding one of their lenses in a vise until the edges touch and the material still doesn't snap.

That specific supplier and material. Have you ever tried Kaenon?

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
That specific supplier and material. Have you ever tried Kaenon?

Haven't tried them yet, but I have heard that they are very good as far as sport optics go. What's kept me away is that all the offerings I've seen from them are more in line with the "lifestyle" offerings from sport optic brands, in that they're a little sporty but also very toned down with some classic influences. I wear mostly traditional sunglasses, so when I do wear sport sunglasses for snowboarding/shooting/etc, I want them to be the full blown performance type with high base curves and rubberized pads.

ramsker

Reaction score
Haven't tried them yet, but I have heard that they are very good as far as sport optics go. What's kept me away is that all the offerings I've seen from them are more in line with the "lifestyle" offerings from sport optic brands, in that they're a little sporty but also very toned down with some classic influences. I wear mostly traditional sunglasses, so when I do wear sport sunglasses for snowboarding/shooting/etc, I want them to be the full blown performance type with high base curves and rubberized pads.

Mykita is using the same lens tech for the Polarized Pro line.

diokanye

Reaction score
Just got these 70s Persol 316. According to Stoffa (how I discovered them) only around 200 pairs made in this colourway.

Rarely have I been this stoked on a pair of glasses, especially from Persol. Vintage Ratti quality is top notch
4de006f5-6575-49a4-a4fd-2b6dfab2dc51.jpg
984d5df2-954e-4230-a7e6-59cd48cdf4c6.jpg
e86eda1a-2a67-4204-9bb8-5f6b73b66c7b.jpg

JDelage

Reaction score
Loving that vintage Persol, especially the bevels at the top. Very cool.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of these.
I noticed them in Ford v Ferrari although I find it hard to believe that Carroll Shelby, portrayed as a ‘meat and potatoes’ salt of the earth fella, would be the type to spring the mid sixties equivalent of $400 for a pair of shades!

Also Christian Bale is seen wearing wraparound Ray Bans with the logo on the temple bars. I’m happy to be corrected but I don’t think Ray Ban was doing that fifty plus years ago, and if not that’s a basic mistake from the props department.

Vaguely remember seeing similar in the film ‘Ray’ - would love for any Ray Ban geek to inform me what year they started doing that. I got my first Wayfarers in1989 and they didn’t have the emblem on the temple bars, not on the lens.maybe it was after B and L sold off to Luxottica in the mid nineties?

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Also Christian Bale is seen wearing wraparound Ray Bans with the logo on the temple bars. I’m happy to be corrected but I don’t think Ray Ban was doing that fifty plus years ago, and if not that’s a basic mistake from the props department.

Vaguely remember seeing similar in the film ‘Ray’ - would love for any Ray Ban geek to inform me what year they started doing that. I got my first Wayfarers in1989 and they didn’t have the emblem on the temple bars, not on the lens.maybe it was after B and L sold off to Luxottica in the mid nineties?

As best as I can remember from seeing the film in theaters, Christian Bale is wearing a pair of Ray Ban Predators. That stuck out to me because I don't think the model came out until the 90's. It's most known for being used in the original Men in Black.

ramsker

Reaction score
As best as I can remember from seeing the film in theaters, Christian Bale is wearing a pair of Ray Ban Predators. That stuck out to me because I don't think the model came out until the 90's. It's most known for being used in the original Men in Black.

I think he wears the Balorama.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads