1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Study in Stripes: Regimental and Repp Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Jun 22, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Found this sid mashburn pic. Don't like many of these ones

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  2. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

My collection of stripes. I got most of these in a lot where I paid $15 for a bag of ties. 1920s-1930s; the bow tie is probably 1950s. Look at those original price tags!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Hate to be a jerk, but none of those appeal to me. : (

4. Sonny58

Sonny58 Senior member

Thanks jrd, this inspired me...

to add this to my collection.

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Doing a little closet cleaning/organization, so I took some pics of my striped ties.

Barbera (cashmere), Bigi x NMWA (cashmere), Calabrese x NMWA (burgundy wool/silk blend)

[​IMG]

Bigi x NMWA (shantung grenadine) , Shibumi (shantung), Drake's (silk/linen, looks like several members got that one)

[​IMG]

Vanda x 3

[​IMG]

Panta, Calabrese x NMWA, Drake's (grenadine)

[​IMG]

Hober, Bigi x NMWA, Vanda (grenadine)

[​IMG]

Drake's, Hober, Armani (kind of an outlier, but I keep holding onto it because of the unusual print)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    3 people like this.
  6. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

This has been a very informative thread, with lots of eye-candy and useful discussion.

Perhaps at some point in the future the elders might start a similar thread dealing with plaid or check ties?

Cheers,

Ac

7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

lotta good stuff in there, mr. six.

8. Penfold

Penfold Senior member

The only striped tie I should ever consider wearing when not entitled to it would be the Bullingdon Club tie (on sale here), and then only for a job interview at the Guardian, pour épater la bourgeoisie.

In Decline And Fall (1928) Evelyn Waugh wrote of the perils, both social and physical, of being caught out wearing undeserved colours.

Paul Pennyfeather was reading for the Church. It was his third year of uneventful residence at Scone. He had come there after a creditable career at a small public school of ecclesiastical temper on the South Downs, where he had edited the magazine, been President of the Debating Society, and had, as his report said, 'exercised a wholesome influence for good' in the House in which he was head boy. At home he lived in Onslow Square with his guardian, a prosperous solicitor who was proud of his progress and abysmally bored by his company. Both his parents had died in India at the time when he won the essay prize at his preparatory school. For two years he had lived within his allowance, aided by two valuable scholarships. He smoked three ounces of tobacco a week — John Cotton, Medium ‑ and drank a pint and a half of beer a day, the half at luncheon and the pint at dinner, a meal he invariably ate in Hall. He had four friends, three of whom had been at school with him. None of the Bollinger Club had ever heard of Paul Pennyfeather, and he, oddly enough, had not heard of them.
    Little suspecting the incalculable consequences that the evening was to have for him, he bicycled happily back from a meeting of the League of Nations Union. There had been a most interesting paper about plebiscites in Poland. He thought of smoking a pipe and reading another chapter of the Forsyte Saga before going to bed. He knocked at the gate, was admitted, put away his bicycle, and diffidently, as always, made his way across the quad towards his rooms. What a lot of people there seemed to be about! Paul had no particular objection to drunkenness ‑ he had read a rather daring paper to the Thomas More Society on the subject ‑ but he was consumedly shy of drunkards.
    Out of the night Lumsden of Strathdrummond swayed across his path like a druidical rocking‑stone. Paul tried to pass.
    Now it so happened that the tie of Paul's old school bore a marked resemblance to the pale blue and white of the Bollinger Club. The difference of a quarter of an inch in the width of the stripes was not one that Lumsden of Strathdrummond was likely to appreciate.
    'Here's an awful man wearing the Boller tie, said the Laird. It is not for nothing that since pre‑Christian times his family had exercised chieftainship over unchartered miles of barren moorland.
    Mr Sniggs was looking rather apprehensively at Mr Postlethwaite.
    'They appear to have caught somebody, he said. 'I hope they don't do him any serious harm.
    'Dear me, can it be Lord Reading? I think I ought to intervene.
    'No, Sniggs, said Mr Postlethwaite, laying a hand on his impetuous colleague's arm. 'No, no, no. It would be unwise. We have the prestige of the senior common-room to consider. In their present state they might not prove amenable to discipline. We must at all costs avoid an outrage.
    At length the crowd parted, and Mr Sniggs gave a sigh of relief.
    'But it's quite all right. It isn't Reading. It's Pennyfeather ‑ someone of no importance.

American SF members crossing the pond might want to leave their regimental ties at home, for fear of being accosted by these guys.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bogus-troops-to-be-prosecuted-by-walter-mitty-842315

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Celadon

Celadon Senior member

It seems that most of the regimental and club ties are designed on heraldic or vexillological principles: bright colours and sharp contrasts. Subtle combinations and muted colours should mostly be safe to wear without risk of misunderstanding.

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

some nice ones from the knottery

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Those look nice, but I've not been impressed by The Knottery's ties in practice. The ones I ordered were rather flimsy, the material and finishing looked cheap, and I don't think I will bother again. But they are probably 'good value' at that price level.

12. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I actually don't own any stripe ties and was looking to get some. What do we think of something like this? Sam Hober:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I really like them, actually.

13. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Here's most of my repp stripe ties. I haven't included any of my horizontal striped numbers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Above: vintage - all 1960s Brooks Brothers, except the far left, which is some anonymous blend... all are around 3".

Below: contemporary - Drakes, Conrad Wu x 2, Liberty (I never wear this one any more, so if anyone wants it, please ask - the ground is a kind of mid-blue heavy silk twill with pink and orange stripes). All are 3" - 3 1/4".

Being English, I don't wear actual regimental / club / school / college ties - except for things that I have the right to wear. I'll try to dig out my school leaver's tie some time - it is in quite spectacularly bad taste (pink, maroon, green). And that reminds me of one thing to correct in the OP - real British regimental, club and school / college ties don't necessarily have a 'ground' as such - many have equal distribution of stripe colour.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    4 people like this.
  14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Some recent addition to my collection

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    2 people like this.
  15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Also like the look of these Knottery ties

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Like them J, recent addition of my own (!)...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

That's a familiar T&A :slayer:

v nice

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. blc456

blc456 Senior member

I actually just ordered the brown and purple version of this tie before seeing this post. Looking forward to getting them as I have never had a tie from the Knottery and am curious to see how they are.

19. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.