• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
#1 There is no better value in quality neckwear than Sam Hober.
#2 If you are looking for other recommendations, do it somewhere other than the Sam Hober thread. Private messages or other threads are more appropriate.

Yup. In terms of offering a true bespoke tie service, quality workmanship, and top notch customer service all at a reasonable price, Sam Hober is unique. Not to mention the massively large selection of silks Hober has on hand. Hober has the largest selection of grenadine silk anywhere in the world, I believe.

facet

Reaction score
+1000 on the level of service that SH provides. I remember when I placed an order for my groomsmen’s ties, David gave me a call just double check the measurements as, of course, they were each different and also to advise on better shipping options to Canada. I remember we ended up having a friendly chat for 45 minutes just on different stuff. He’s one of the most genuine people you’ll ever speak with.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
David is as good as it gets CS wise. I was an almighty pain ********** with my waffling and incessant questions, and David answered everything thoroughly and promptly...and got my stuff from Thailand to LA in ~48 hours.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, come on lol. I get not wanting to pester a proprietor if that’s your hang up, but check the website. I believe every question posed is answered on the FAQ page. Outside of rightly saying David and his ties are awesome, I don’t think many of us know more about Hober than Hober knows about Hober.

Fwiw, 48 hours shipping. Order took about 10 days if I recall correctly.

winghus

Reaction score
I'll just repeat what has been said at SF by a lot of people who know these things. There is no reason to buy anything but Hober unless they don't carry a particular fabric you really want. I have a list of Hobers to buy and maybe 2-4 from Cappelli due to the fabric. I wouldn't consider anyone else unless they had a unique fabric I desperately wanted. You can tell David your size, what type of knot you want and where you want to back blade to end up and he will make it happen. Please don't go skinny, it's not a good look unless you are ultra-thin.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
OK guys I attached some pictures and was hoping I could get your input.

I got a tie tied with a four in hand knot. It is 60 inches long and 3.14 inches (8 cm) wide. If I am not mistaken the larger blade should end right at the beginning of the belt - so it is a bit short in this case. The thinner blade is also clearly much too long (I think it is supposed to be 2-3 inches shorter than the longer blade when tied?). Thoughts?

20180101_173252.jpg

20180101_173307.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Re-tie it so the big blade just covers the belt buckle. If the short end still peeks below, send it to TieCrafters. DO NOT do the DJT crotch-warmer thing.

ndrew

Reaction score
These are not the top, middle or end of the belt buckle...

upload_2018-1-2_10-50-5.png upload_2018-1-2_10-50-17.png

Aim to have the front blade just hit/cover the belt buckle as @Concordia says.

Also if you are going to do up your top button (or if you are going to wear a tie in general), make sure your tie is tightened properly and covers up the button / goes flush against your collar. Otherwise people will think you are sloppy instead of how nice your tie looks.

For an easier example on how to achieve your desired length, assuming that you are wearing your favourite tie like this guy in the picture. If we take the red line as where the front blade should end, then the excess length is denoted by the two blue lines (depending on your personal preference on where the back blade should end in comparison to the front blade - 2"? 3"? 17"? above the front blade):

upload_2018-1-2_10-57-24.png

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Hmmm OK, clearly my tie tying skills are not up to par. But, I think I got it this time around (save for the button showing). 60 inches long, and 3.14 inches wide seems OK. But, since I will be buying ties before the suits, I am curious if the width really is satisfactory. Would going down to 3 inches be too much?

20180101_184902.jpg

ndrew

Reaction score
@Captain Waffles:

Maybe get your suits (and a decent shirt or two) sorted before you jump into the ties. How you wear your trousers (natural waist, hips or around your ankles) will impact on your tie length. Do it once, do it right! Until you are ready to expand your wardrobe. :p

I also agree with @Patrick R for your tie length - if your knot goes flush against your shirt collar, the front and back blades will be about the same. 2-3 inches shorter means that you'll have an easier time tying your tie. No need to re-adjust for when your back blade is just a bit longer than your front blade.

facet

Reaction score
@Captain Waffles honestly, I can’t remember at all which was the best, sorry man. Don’t go any narrower; you’ll have invested a lot of money on ties that will go out of style relatively quickly and be rendered useless. It defeats the purpose of spending that much to begin with, on ties of that quality (unless you have money to burn, of course). The 3.14 is fine, I’d say 3.25 would be better; but it’s not a big deal either way.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Yeah...the 3.14 doesn't look bad at all. I am just thinking about how it should match the suit lapels (I don't have any suits atm so I can't judge what 3.14 inch lapels would look like - and I don't think I can live with large lapels, would be a deal breaker).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads