1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

Has anybody had luck having David essentially copy a knot shape based on providing a picture/something of the like? I’d love to be able to have Hober’s that knot like my Charvet ties, which for whatever reason just make absolutely majestic knots, in my opinion.

2. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

I have no experience with Hober copying a knot/pattern, but I'd be curious to see pics of your Charvets knotted.

3. Mica2015

Mica2015 Well-Known Member

1/3 to my eye, not the actual measurement.
    tie-width-20180106b.jpg

4. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Be aware that there is more than one variable in getting that right. Shape, yes. Also, lining, sewing technique, the particular silk chosen, etc.
    It's like copying a shirt collar. Plenty of ways to get it wrong even if the result measures correctly on a superficial level.

5. ericgereghty

That was my thought. Naturally, perfection based off just a picture would not be a fair expectation, but something that might approximate it would be ideal. Of course, adjustments could also be made on future orders to hone in on ideal shape.
    All things considered, I’d much rather give David my money and have a Hober; they’re better made, and I could get 2-3 (depending on construction) Hober’s for the cost of one Charvet.

6. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Try an e-mail. Send measurements (all up and down, if necessary), and a photo of how the knot looks. Something will work.

7. ericgereghty

Apologies for the Chippendale’s styling (been a LONG time since I actually wore a Charvet it seems lol), but most knots tend to come out like this.

89FDCD13-7465-4228-A1D8-492CB0725586.jpeg

8. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Well-Known Member

I think it has more to do with the weave. My Hober Oxfords tie like that whereas the Macclesfields do not.

And put a shirt on, dude.

9. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

Lol. Well thanks for the pic. It's a good looking knot, for sure. You'd probably get a better dimple out of it if you tightened it up a bit, but I probably don't need to tell you that.

Honestly though, is that knot really that much different/better than a typical Hober? It's not like Hobers don't already make good knots (assuming decent tying ability).

But do let us know if you talk to David and end up attempting to replicate your Charvets.

10. ericgereghty

It definitely doesn’t photograph well, and I certainly don’t have the knowledge to put words to it. There’s something that’s just so effortless about how Charvets knot, irrespective of weave type.
    To be sure, there’s nothing at all wrong with Hober’s standard knots. They’re great. It would, to me, simply be an interesting experiment to see if I could get future Hober’s to be just so. If so, awesome. If not, well, I’d still have a world class tie...

11. crdb

crdb Distinguished Member

Having been to the Charvet shop multiple times, and to the Charvet reseller in Singapore (Hourglass something near Paragon), but not owning any Charvets, I would suggest it is a matter of lining thickness. Also most Charvet ties have a certain three dimensionality to the silk itself: in your example, the grooved stripes. This makes for a naturally springy, hollow, smaller knot. They also are less wide than Hober's standard size at the knot (and actually the entire tie).

The square-ish knot shape reminds me of what I get with British club and sports ties made of reppe silk, even from less upscale makers like Charles Tyrwhitt. Example this festive Henry Bucks (an Australian Brooks Brothers):

[​IMG]

(knot not tightened and poor photo quality, apologies, combination of bad "selfie" camera on phone and the extraordinarily strong and sideways Australian sun)

so I would try a crunchy reppe with thinner lining, and a British shape less wide at the knot.

I do think the woven pattern Charvets tie a different knot though. Do you own any of these? More floppy.

12. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Distinguished Member

That knot has nothing of special, are just the interlining materials what are making it. Any Neapolitan tie can do that if you do not pull too much, in fact that knot is due to a defect on not pulling enough to get a cilinder like shape.

13. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Well-Known Member

Do you have an ecommerce website to purchase your ties?

14. varsityreds0123

varsityreds0123 Senior Member

@ericgereghty I second this. The Hober Oxford weave ties a beautiful, effortless knot. Get the Burgundy Oxford weave and you can do no wrong. The texture is quite beautiful and the colour seems to reflect a different shade in different lighting.

15. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Distinguished Member

No, sorry, only in person in Naples or via email, I should do a website...