1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. marker2037

marker2037 Senior Member

Hi guys, new to this thread.

I'm on the lookout for a tie for my wedding and I've caught the grenadine bug a bit and would like to know if Sam Hober does a "champagne" colored grenadine. It's hard to tell if light yellow or sand would meet that criteria or not.

2. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

Maybe one of these?

https://www.samhober.com/grenadine-...ilver-brown-grenadine-grossa-silk-tie-23.html

https://www.samhober.com/grenadine-...-white-piccola-grenadine-silk-tie-gpt-14.html

Assuming you have enough time between now and your wedding, you can get swatches to see the fabrics in real life. And unless you're really set on a "champagne" grenadine, also consider a silver grenadine or a traditional wedding silk like shepherd's check and glen plaid.

3. marker2037

marker2037 Senior Member

Yea, our theme is champagne. It's dead set and there is no changing it now.

Thanks for the suggestion of the dark off white. I hadn't seen that one before and it's possible I guess. Getting the fabric in hand is a little difficult due to my location.

4. crdb

crdb Distinguished Member

I have a chalky/pale yellow seven-fold with very spaced apart, tiny sky blue diamonds which actually does remind me a lot of champagne, especially on a white shirt. So maybe look in that direction?

The difficulty is that you need to capture both the translucence of champagne in a tall, thin flute (not an issue with originally similarly coloured white wine in its squatter glass concentrating the colour) and the lightness of the small bubbles rising slowly. Hence the suggestion of lightly contrasting dots or diamonds (which have to be very small), and a chalky very pale yellow or gold.

Remember champagne also comes in pink... salmon is not a bad tie colour.

5. marker2037

marker2037 Senior Member

Yea, for it to lean to pink is perfect actually as the bridesmaid dresses are actually pinkish champagne. That's kind of what I'm looking for.

I mean, I already have a Michael Kors satin silk champagne tie I bought over the summer that I quite like, but I'd like to add some texture with grenadine if I can.

6. bluebereft

bluebereft Member

Might be a noob question, so pardon me.

I bought a Hober navy grenadine recently, at the same length as a Vanda tie that I have.

When I tie the Vanda, both front and back blades are at approx. the same point. But with the Hober (which has a substantially thicker interlining), the back blade ends up much shorter.

Do you guys adjust your tie lengths based on where you get the ties from?

7. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

Yes.

8. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

I've found that for whatever reason, my Hober ties usually arrive about an inch or two shorter than I specify. This is probably due to measuring differences. I don't know this for certain, but I think that when the craftspeople at Hober measure, they pin the fabric, thus pulling the tie completely taught and taking out ALL slack, perhaps even stretching it ever so slightly.

I don't know what else would explain consistently receiving ties shorter than I specify. Perhaps there is some sort of "retraction" during shipping? In any case, ties usually stretch out a bit after multiple wears, especially grenadines.

That most recent ties I received from Hober, I specified 59.5", but as I measure, and attempting to lay the ties completely flat and straight with no slack, they are more like 58.5". This has caused me some frustration in determining the exact length I prefer. It's my sole gripe with Hober; otherwise, their products are absolutely flawless and beautiful.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 1:40 AM

9. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Distinguished Member

Grenadine's stretch over time, so a bit short to start is a good thing, ime

10. Captain Waffles

Captain Waffles Well-Known Member

@SJR3 - I am curious, how tall are you and what kind of knots do you usually tie. I think that I prefer symmetrical medium sized knots and the four-in-hand by default (since I heard thats the only suitable knot for grenadines). Trying to figure if I should get a tie shorter than 60 inches...I think I am going to settle for 3 inches by 60.

11. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

I'm 5'11" and four-in-hand is the only knot I ever use. I like it because it's slightly asymmetrical (I strongly dislike symmetrical knots) and usually results in a nice medium size, as you mentioned. Really love the way my Hobers knot--I've posted a few pics in this thread before.

12. crimsonfashion

crimsonfashion Member

Just ordered my first tie from Sam and David and I couldn't be more pleased. The tie made it from Thailand to Colorado in 3 days and looks and feels even better than my Drakes ties. I went with a a Burnt Orange Mogador and will definitely be ordering more. Honestly can't see a reason to buy ties from anyone else, unless the fabric you want isn't one of the hundreds that they offer.

IMG_2394.JPG

13. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

We haven’t been lying!

14. marker2037

marker2037 Senior Member

Isn't this the Mulberrywood? I actually just ordered this swatch as it looks to be perfect for my mid-blue suit after my wedding.

15. crimsonfashion

crimsonfashion Member

You’re absolutely correct, I made an error there. I highly recommend it, the fabric has a beautiful subtle sheen that isn’t fully captured in the photos