• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A piece of advice: Be nice to your dry cleaner

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might belong in the thrifting/bragging thread, but the situation is a bit different; this started when my dry cleaners' lost a suit for me a few months ago (the suit was a nice old pre-war bespoke one, DB brown pin-stripe, so that pissed me off). They told me to go out and buy a new suit to replace it and give the bill to them, so I bought a new OK-ish corduroy suit. Not the same quality as the one I lost, but I didn't push that point very hard. However, today the dry-cleaner guy invited me in to take a look at the shirts that had been sitting in his storage-room uncollected for more than a few years. He told me to take my pick, so I picked around ten of them and handed them in for new cleaning and ironing. They were a couple of T&A, a couple of Faconnable, and a couple of Stenström (Swedish brand, on par with say TM Lewin), and assorted others. And I got a couple of fistfuls of collar stays in all varieties. I also picked out around fifteen shirts in not-my-sizes, and handed them out to happy underlings at work. Going back later this week to look at more shirts, suits and sundry...
smile.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
very generous! Back when I used this shite cleaners near me they lost one shirt, not particularly valuable, but one I liked a lot (worth about $60) and their response was pretty much "our insurance will cover $10, if you don't want that then go **** off". Lesson learned: don't use a dry cleaner that sends laundry off premise. Today that fucktwat cleaner no longer exists.

CoryB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Today that fucktwat cleaner no longer exists.

Are you sure your not my brother? He loves to string together as much profanity as possible to create new words.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoryB
Are you sure your not my brother? He loves to string together as much profanity as possible to create new words.
I think it was MacArthur who said you weren't a real man until you could swear without repeating yourself.

coatandthai

Reaction score
This raises a question I have related to dry cleaning ethics: I give a lot of my "extra" shirts (eBay mistakes, too good to pass up sale items) to my brother. Facconable, Zegna, etc. Anyway, there is a fire at his dry cleaners and he loses about 15 shirts, so the insurance company reimburses him.

Should he have offered to give me the money? He didn't, of course.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coatandthai
Should he have offered to give me the money? He didn't, of course.
Only to be nice. After you give them away they are his property. To expect otherwise would make you an Indian giver.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads