• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Gloves question

CWV

Reaction score
Hello my fellow SF people. I have a gloves question. In a nutshell it is if the color of these should always match the color of other leathers you wear, Especially shoes, or if you can get away ignoring the matching.

I am about to buy a pair of leather gloves, I’d usually aim for a brown pair because I like brown leather over black (I find it warmer, it ages with character, is less agresiva,my shoes are almost all brown) but ithappens to be the case that the brand I’m looking at (archinakd London due to sales and me having some credit there) has a chocolate brown which in real life pictures looks quite too clear a hue. That has me considerimg the black gloves which could be moreversatile because they convine with everything being more neutral.p a color. Nevertheless the question arrases: woukd black gloves clash too much with brown shoes?
This is the link to the product. https://www.archibaldlondon.com/col...ather-gloves?color=black&gloves-size=golves-9

I attach the real life pictures I’ve been send (with flash)

CWV

Reaction score
409BB9C6-B78D-4337-A566-38CC7992EEC2.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gloves don't have to strictly match your shoes, but with brown shoes, I would not wear black gloves. I think you'd be better off with brown gloves.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t really wear black shoes so it’s browns for me. I don’t worry about marching it perfectly.

A decent pair of leather gloves won’t set you back that much. Just get a black pair to have on hand, no pun intended, so you can have that option.

What’s more jarring is wearing ski gloves or work gloves with an otherwise business formal outfit.

CWV

Reaction score
I also think that black gloves with brown shoes do not work.
What do you think about the brown hue?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get yourself some burgundy calfskin gloves. They work well with black brown and navy.

Boehmerwalder

Reaction score
I think exact matching of gloves with other leathers in the outfit is a safe option. However, if one has quite a good eye for complementary colours, it is possible to make the choice more interesting.

Get yourself some burgundy calfskin gloves. They work well with black brown and navy.
I second this opinion.

For example, light grey gloves work well with black shoes and a complementary dark outfit.

This might apply to the black vs. brown dilemma, in the sense that deliberate contrast may prove a good choice. For example cognac gloves and black shoes could produce a similar effect to the burgundy gloves in this regard. However, if the colours are too close but differentiable, such as dark brown gloves and black shoes, it generally does not work.

It is obviously highly situational and dependent on personal taste. As with anything in menswear, matching is a safe and reliable choice and the rest is an avenue of exploration.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads