• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$5000 Shoe Budget - Suggestions Needed

emptym

Reaction score
I'd get a few rtw shoes that fit my foot well and try a bespoke maker.

For rtw, I think Alfred Sargent offers the best price to quality ratio. Their premier shoes (full grain uppers, goodyear welted) are 250-350 depending on where you get them (Pediwear, direct from AS, etc). Their handgrades offer quality on the level of EG for 10-20% less money. And they give you the ability to choose leathers, styles, lasts, soles, etc. Their premier range shoes can be mto for 10-20% more than their regular prices. Plus their manager, Chay Cooper is a pleasure to work with. My interactions w/ him have made me want to work for him.

I used to recommend Alden, and have a couple pairs, but I haven't been impressed by their quality control recently. I visited the SF store and the welting on pretty much every shoe was unacceptably sloppy, especially for a $400-600 shoe. I was amazed.

For an rtw or mto Italian style shoe/boot, I'd go with Martegani through Ron Rider. I'm very happy w/ a chukka and a venetian loafter I have from him.

For bespoke, I'd try DW Frommer (which I have and will report back on w/in a month or so) first. You might try Perry Ercolino, since you're on the East Coast. But he charges significantly more than DWF.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
For bespoke, I'd try DW Frommer (which I have and will report back on w/in a month or so) first. You might try Perry Ercolino, since you're on the East Coast. But he charges significantly more than DWF.

Perry does fantastic bespoke work, but he is going to soak up most of the OP's budget. http://www.perryercolino.com/bespoke_shoes.php

goldknots

Reaction score

goldknots

Reaction score
And don't forget to budget for shoe trees!!!!!

dreamtripper

Reaction score
So here's what I've acquired so far:

-Alden cordovan plain toe blucher (Ravello)
-Alden cordovan long wing (Whiskey)
-Alden cordovan wingtip (Black)
-Alden cordovan NST boot (Color 8) - thinking of returning and geting a Cigar colored shoe like the Chukka boot
-Trickers Stow (Beechnut)
-Crockett and Jones Westfield (Dark Brown)
-Edward Green Inverness (Black)
-Church's Long Wing Cordovan (Dark Brown)

I consider most of these basic staples. I'll probably get 2-3 more interesting shoes in the next few months and call it a day - most likely a little over budget

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads