• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

< $300 camera

M Stanfield

Reaction score
I just purchased my first digital, and it's a Canon SD870 ($299 at Best Buy). I am already impressed with it: it has macro for extreme closeups, stitch assist if you wish to take panoramas (I plan on taking large landscape photos), color assist, color swap if you wish to make B&amp;W photos with only certain objects colored, red-eye correction on the camera itslef, and a million other features I've yet to even discover yet. The one feature I love the most: it's a compact with wide-angle capability. I have no idea if it's good for high-speed photography, as I will only use it to take pictures of architecture.

callen

Reaction score
I am a big fan of the Canon SD series. I have the SD850 IS. Very easy to use, and takes a good picture.

My one suggestion is buy a good case for any new digital camera. They all seem to have a large lcd display on the back which I can be easily damaged in your pocket or in your wifes purse.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
Re: < $300 camera

We wanted a digital camera at about the same price point. Ended up getting the Sony A100 10.2 MP with a zoom for 3 and change. FAR superior to anything I found in its price range. Circuit City was clearing them out and were out of stock by the time we got there. Took the sale price printout from CC to Best Buy and they matched the price.

The BB guy was very surprised by the low CC price.

-

Yeah, it sure would blow a 300 buck camera away! I've been looking at the Alpha for a long time and if I saw them at the price you paid I would have bought the entire inventory. You stole that camera! Congrats!

AlexPanzer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Yeah, it sure would blow a 300 buck camera away! I've been looking at the Alpha for a long time and if I saw them at the price you paid I would have bought the entire inventory. You stole that camera! Congrats!

Yup, that camera for that price is a sure steal.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kalice

Reaction score
I 18th canon cameras. But you don't need a top of the line. With most of the point and shoot cameras, as long as you're assured it has a decent lens, it will be pretty good. Now I have a nikon d40X, which takes absolutely gorgeous pictures. But previous to that, I had a Casio Z50 or smt, which is small, quick, and takes fantastic photos.

If you stay within Canon, Casio, or Nikon family, you'll get really good photos no matter what. I can't say anything for other cameras because I've never used it. Some features that are important but often overlooked is the startup time and time between shots, because if you're taking casual photos of friends, family, and scenery, you'll probably be pressing that shutter like crazy, and a 3 second lag between them can be a huge turn off. Other than that, battery life, focus ability, iso (which becomes important when you're taken photos in suboptimal lighting), are also very important, but i'm sure you already know. With that all taken into consideration, you should be able to find a decent camera under $200.

P.S. 5 megapixels is more than enough in a camera

hope that helps!

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
5 megapixels is more than enough in a camera
+1 to that... For "consumer" cameras, the megapxel factor is mostly a marketing thing. The only reason for requiring more than 5 megapixels is if you tend to do a lot of very tight cropping (and need to be able to hold the resolution)...or if you're planning on printing poster-size prints (same reason). I co-authored a full-color "coffee table book" on knifemaking a couple of years ago (see below). Most of the photos were supplied by the 100 participating knifemakers. The minimum resolution we would accept was 150 dpi, which can be obtained with a 3mg camera (as long as the image isn't over 6-8" or so in height or width...If I recall correctly). My Nikon 8700 was 8 mg and I never once had the need to shoot at the highest resolution.
Cover-reduced5.jpg
FYI- That's a $750,000 knife on the cover! Solid gold with lots of diamonds and rubies.
grin.gif
The knives on the back cover range from about $2000 to $15,000 (Although I do have my own 4-page spread inside, we elected not to put any of my knives on the cover...Would have been a little too self-serving). Dennis

Conrad

Reaction score
The "megapixel war" baffles me as well, but since most people don't realize what they do (or don't) need, they assume bigger is better.

My favorite example of that is trying to take a low light picture with a high resolution camera and a non high speed memory card. Just takes too long to write the image, so you actually lose clarity.

I'd love it if I could buy a spec for spec replacement for my Canon A75- image pickup died in it so now i'm in teh makret for a new one. it's only a 3.2, but i never do anything bigger than 5x8 anyway (and even that's pushing it).

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
panasonic lumix makes one of the few that feature a wide angle lens for that price. it's an incredibly handy feature.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack a thread, but anyone have a good camera recommendation for $150ish? Just something to take random pictures with, nothing serious.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ended up getting the canon powershot sd 870 for just under 300 bucks at best buy. our old camera (previously mine, then my wife's and now mine again) was a 7 year old canon power shot.

M Stanfield

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
ended up getting the canon powershot sd 870 for just under 300 bucks at best buy. our old camera (previously mine, then my wife's and now mine again) was a 7 year old canon power shot.

Great choice! I'm having fun with mine.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna take the plunge too...Believe it or not I have NEVER owned a camera.

Probably because I am ugly and I don't want any pictures taken of me.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Probably because I am ugly and I don't want any pictures taken of me.

But your purple-and-gold-painted toenails are not!! Take the plunge already.
bounce2.gif

FWIW, I went through the same process of choosing a superzoom camera <$300 for my parents last year. Ended up with a Lumix, the parents couldn't have been happier ever since.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads