• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 hour drive to Ben Silver Charleston?

PuppetBoy

Reaction score
I may have an excuse to travel to Charlotte, NC in a couple of months, and I want to determine how worthwhile the drive down to Ben Silver in Charleston would be before deciding whether or not to push for the trip.

I'm really interested in trying some C&J hand grade, and this would provide an opportunity to see, touch and try some on. I've been leaning towards the Weymouth from plal, and Ben Silver carries this model, but lists them in US sizes. Does anybody know if I see the box if it will have the UK size listed?

Also, after seeing this shoe recently in another thread

C-J_albany_captoe_bensilver.jpg

I'm really quite taken by it, even though I'd be paying full retail.

So, I guess a couple of questions are...

Is the drive really manageable in around 3 hours as MapQuest indicates?

Does the shop have a pretty decent inventory, particularly of shoes?

Am I likely to learn my UK sizes on C&J lasts if the shoes are marketed with US sizing?

Also, what last is the Albany Captoe shown above built on?

thanks all.

minimal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PuppetBoy

Am I likely to learn my UK sizes on C&J lasts if the shoes are marketed with US sizing?

Also, what last is the Albany Captoe shown above built on?

thanks all.

In my experience, the Ben Silver shoes have interior markings in the original UK sizes. So if you order a "12" the shoe says "11.5" on the inside, for example.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I can only add that I have bought Santoni FAM from them via phone and the customer service is terrific. My younger brother John lives there and the store is said to have a very good reputation. C&J Handgrade is a good shoe.

Also, check out the Factory Outlet if you go there. Might get a deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads