• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2014-2015 OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD (+ Brazil 2014) - Football, Soccer, Calcio, Voetball, Fútbol, Futebo

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Obviously hard to say when he's not in the match. We had a good number of fast breaks during the game that likely would have suited his speed and strength. That said, his nose for net is inconsistent at best, so you never really know. I think the person who has missed him the most is Bradley. Both games Bradley's looked uncomfortable at best and completely out of the game at worst. The one thing Jozy provides is a reliable outlet for the midfield. Even if he's not scoring you can get him the ball and let him dance around a little bit or extend play out to the corners. For Bradley playing as far up as he was last night, I think having that extra safety valve would have been nice, if only from a mental standpoint.

The fact that Klinsman went with one striker is also telling. I'm not sure how having Jozy at his disposal would have changed things. If we really missed that offensive presence you'd think another striker would have gotten the nod instead of a (more) two-way guy like Zusy.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realize it's the least interesting game of the day, but Villa is turning on the style points against Australia. It's been announced as his last game w/ La Roja, and he's looked almost as sharp as 2007-9.

No Xavi starting (who's also announced his retirement from the squad after the WC). No Iker (who may be forced out). Also no Fábregas, who apparently had a bust up w/ VdB this week. Starting XI =

Villa - Torres
Koke - Alonso - Iniesta - Cazorla
Alba - Ramos - Albiól - Juanfran

Big diagonal balls, cutting through passes (see Iniesta to Juanfran to Villa for goal), and Spain at least not looking like an embarrassment.

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were we better or worse off without Jozy?

Worse. Even without him we looked faster than Portugal for most of the game, but I think with him we convert one of the fast breaks. Of course Portugal's miracle came on basically a fast break but that was a breakdown of possession (Bradley turnover) and defense (Cameron and Gonzalez failing to clear CR7's cross).

US goals both came on plays starting in or near the right corner. Jones with the Barrett .50 cracker and the "perfectly executed broken play" between Yedlin/Bradley/Zusi/Dempsey. Major stones by Zusi to pass up a damn good look to get Dempsey the point-blank chest shot. So US did not use speed to score.

Of course Portugal is dealing with a sub-100% CR7, who put at least one free kick into the cheap seats and another open shot into the Amazon.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Realize it's the least interesting game of the day, but Villa is turning on the style points against Australia. It's been announced as his last game w/ La Roja, and he's looked almost as sharp as 2007-9.

No Xavi starting (who's also announced his retirement from the squad after the WC). No Iker (who may be forced out). Also no Fábregas, who apparently had a bust up w/ VdB this week. Starting XI =

Villa - Torres
Koke - Alonso - Iniesta - Cazorla
Alba - Ramos - Albiól - Juanfran

Big diagonal balls, cutting through passes (see Iniesta to Juanfran to Villa for goal), and Spain at least not looking like an embarrassment.

what a way for villa to go out. awful WC , but cheeky flick for a last goal ;-)

del bosque denied anything going on with cesc in the press conference. i know the video looks awkward but there you have it. the media probably have nothing else to report re: spain so gotta find something to say ...

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hup Hup Hup

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love watching these Dutchmen. They're so fast on the breaks it's like they take off their sandals and have a windmill behind them!

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still boggles my mind how Arjen Robben was clocked at 37 km per hour in the opening match against Spain...the guy is 30...

arnathor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Of course Netherlands was going to clean up today, they did not disappoint. :)

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That was impressive - I thought Chile would take this one.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robben is fast. Still amazes me to see some of his runs. Dutch look solid. Agree with @bourbonbasted re: a 2-1 Germany win vs. the US and hoping for a draw or Portugal win vs. Ghana.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Alves, Silva and Luiz all look rock solid on that one.

Edit: On a separate note, today's Google Doodle is appropriate.

Edit 2 : Wow, Cameroon that is pathetic, Insanely bad defending and goaltending.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics