• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

tdude

Reaction score
Most of what we do is place custom orders where we pick a style, fabric or leather, and customize all details. Many other stores would slap a "A x B" or "A exclusively for B" tag on the products, and makers are happy to do that for you, but so far I've found that approach a little silly. If that has value for our customers, I'll be happy to change my mind and revisit that.

nope. keep curating!

AceBoogie

Reaction score
Some updates on the trunk show next week :

• we will be taking MTO orders for Vass shoes & boots (you can go creative there !)
• we will be taking MTO orders for Rota trousers (same cut, 150+ fabrics to choose from)
• we're working on confirming a potential 3rd MTO event - stay tuned
• we will be doing a special discount for the trunk on a couple of brands
• we will have a few samples for sale at cost

That's all for now :)
any details on which brands are on the special discount and which are for sale at cost?

ltontheqt

Reaction score

As in a sleeveless sweater? No that's not an option. I don't know that IM a totally makes those.

The 3 styles are : toggled shawl collar, crewneck gansey and buttoned cardigan

Not true about sleeveless. FYI, Will at A Suitable Wardrobe offered a sweater vest a year or two ago. I tried to copy and paste image but didn't take.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not true about sleeveless.

?

I simply said that I don't know that IM actually makes those.

Great to know that they do and that other stores want to buy them.

Last edited:

malat

Reaction score

Couldn't find my measuring tape last night, so I will buy one this morning. I checked all of my Italian jackets and came up with only 42/52. I think my arms and shoulders have in the past kept me out of the 50. I might give it a try based on the photos from Edouard though.

Finally got around to measuring some of my sport coats to gauge fit of the Cantarelli coats. Here are the average numbers I came up with.

Chest: 105-107
Shoulder: ~47/47.5

These numbers are taken from a bespoke coat, a Zegna suit coat (52, though heavily tailored around the waist), and two other Italian sport coats (52, also tailored for waist suppression). Based on the size and fit numbers on NMWA, it looks like the Cantarelli in the 52 might be the best compromise for my shoulders?

Last edited:

Edouard

Reaction score
Finally got around to measuring some of my sport coats to gauge fit of the Cantarelli coats. Here are the average numbers I came up with.

Chest: 105-107
Shoulder: ~47/47.5

These numbers are taken from a bespoke coat, a Zegna suit coat (52, though heavily tailored around the waist), and two other Italian sport coats (52, also tailored for waist suppression). Based on the size and fit numbers on NMWA, it looks like the Cantarelli in the 52 might be the best compromise for my shoulders?
interesting, i too have a 52 zegna heavily tailored :)
The 52 was too big for me but you could be ok with it.
I'd say either gamble with one size and it's easy to exchange. or get both and send one back once you're sure.

Hobbs

Reaction score
I have a couple of Oliver Spencer jackets all in size 42 - would this be equivalent to an L in the Peveril jacket?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was there ever a question about gregs advice?

:confused:

malat

Reaction score

interesting, i too have a 52 zegna heavily tailored :)
The 52 was too big for me but you could be ok with it. 
I'd say either gamble with one size and it's easy to exchange. or get both and send one back once you're sure. 

Edouard, I'm curious for comparison's sake, what are your chest and shoulder measurements on your "benchmark" coat? I'll probably order two, but thought I'd ask as I examine those shots you took again.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

for the record/to help with these sizing shenanigans, I am 5'9", 172-174 (when it's dry out...)

Yeah, if Malat is even a few kg bigger, especially through the shoulders, I would definitely go for the 50.  I'm about his size (5'11", and I say 175 lbs, but I'm lying by a few lbs), with a 40" chest, and I'm a 50 is pretty much all of the "sharper" Italian brands.  If Malat is reading, and cares, both presumptions on my part, this includes the more tailored Belvest pieces, Attolini, and Kiton.  In Luciano Barbera, I am usually a 48 in the tailored pieces, but mostly, those are very casual sportsjackets.  

FWIW, I'm 5'10", "around" 175 lbs., and wear EU50 in almost all makes. I can wear EU48 in some makes that run larger (most notably Canali). Unless Malat's upper body is very unusual, I'm guessing the 50 will fit best.

malat

Reaction score

FWIW, I'm 5'10", "around" 175 lbs., and wear EU50 in almost all makes. I can wear EU48 in some makes that run larger (most notably Canali). Unless Malat's upper body is very unusual, I'm guessing the 50 will fit best.

I agree, that should be the case, though I think my upper arms, shoulders and lats have always ruled me out of the EU50. I guess I have an unusual upper body (also known as "beach" muscles, from years of playing shortstop :)

Just looking at NMWA measurements for the EU50, it seems that it is going to be a tight squeeze across the shoulders at 45cm. I'll probably order both tomorrow and post the results when they arrive.

Edouard

Reaction score
Edouard, I'm curious for comparison's sake, what are your chest and shoulder measurements on your "benchmark" coat? I'll probably order two, but thought I'd ask as I examine those shots you took again.
my new benchmark coat is the Formosa 48 that fit on absolutely perfectly.
It's 106 & 46.

johanm

Reaction score
I'm curious whether the Inis Meain Pub Jacket is more like quasi-outerwear with a tailored cut, vs. a chunky cardigan with superficial jacket detailing. Are any owners willing to share their experiences?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads