• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We don't have the Memory here, so I can't say with any certainty, but below are a few photos of me wearing it, as well as a few photos of me wearing my Merino. All are size 4. Camera angles are different in both, but it appears that the memory is a bit longer as it seems to hit at my knee, where the merino ends above my knee. I am 5'9" tall Memory:
Merino:
Vgk3PoT.jpg
DK6zl79.jpg
With regards to the fabrics - weights, colors, fiber blends - be sure not to miss the forest for the trees! There are numerous reasons for different fiber blends, but my advice is to focus more on which coat in which color you would like to have. If you need some incentive to be adventurous, it might be helpful to read this fun post by David
Memory does look longer.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of this question getting buried amidst all the SS fervor ...

Does anyone own the Fox Flannel Formosa or the brown Eidos 3 piece (both up on the site now)? I am debating getting one vs the other and the price difference is obviously quite significant - basically the cost of a 2nd Eidos suit or a combo of other things from the site.

I mostly need this suit for a fall wedding but I obviously will own it for a long time and have other occasions to wear it. The Formosa would be at the absolute top of my price range for what I want to spend right now so I am trying to make the best decision between the two.

Thoughts?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We don't have the Memory here, so I can't say with any certainty, but below are a few photos of me wearing it, as well as a few photos of me wearing my Merino. All are size 4. Camera angles are different in both, but it appears that the memory is a bit longer as it seems to hit at my knee, where the merino ends above my knee. I am 5'9" tall Memory: Merino:
Vgk3PoT.jpg
DK6zl79.jpg
With regards to the fabrics - weights, colors, fiber blends - be sure not to miss the forest for the trees! There are numerous reasons for different fiber blends, but my advice is to focus more on which coat in which color you would like to have.
If you need some incentive to be adventurous, it might be helpful to read this fun post by David.
We are all now finding out the price of glory. Glorious coats that is. And have I consumed too much of the Kool-Aid or are these Schneider preorders actually really reasonably priced?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I could be wrong but the jade in the new season looks a bit darker (which I prefer) than the one used in the Merino re-issue last season.

i thought the same thing thing and i hope it is. would make the jade vs camel decision a more difficult one though.

to your point i think there will be some difference in color between the two jades. they are made up of different materials

merino: Jade green body (86% wool, 14% nylon; 600 gram) with 100% wool light brown liner

memory: Green wool body (70% wool, 25% polyester, 5% cashmere) with contrasting grey 100% wool knit liner

gah, what shade of grey will the liner be? lighter or darker? i ask because grey can make my face look more lifeless than it already is

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

At the risk of this question getting buried amidst all the SS fervor ...

Does anyone own the Fox Flannel Formosa or the brown Eidos 3 piece (both up on the site now)? I am debating getting one vs the other and the price difference is obviously quite significant - basically the cost of a 2nd Eidos suit or a combo of other things from the site.

I mostly need this suit for a fall wedding but I obviously will own it for a long time and have other occasions to wear it. The Formosa would be at the absolute top of my price range for what I want to spend right now so I am trying to make the best decision between the two.

Thoughts?

I own neither but I've tried both on. They're quite different, so it really depends on what you want. The Formosa is more classic in every way - more versatile fabric, being gray, a more conservative cut. The Eidos suit is less versatile since brown is less formal. Depending on what kind of wedding it is, brown might not be the best choice. But the Eidos suit has a lot of style - the 3pc option is nice, the open quarters are an arresting feature, and the fabric is one you don't see very often on a 3pc suit, but isn't garish like some of the 3pc tweed things that exhibitionists get custom-made.

Somewhat depends on your body type, too. That Eidos cut looks really great on people with slim hips, but if you're not that slim, the quarters open up even more. OTOH, if you plan to wear it as a 3pc a lot, in which case you'll often be wearing the jacket open, this effect is mitigated.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I own neither but I've tried both on. They're quite different, so it really depends on what you want. The Formosa is more classic in every way - more versatile fabric, being gray, a more conservative cut. The Eidos suit is less versatile since brown is less formal. Depending on what kind of wedding it is, brown might not be the best choice. But the Eidos suit has a lot of style - the 3pc option is nice, the open quarters are an arresting feature, and the fabric is one you don't see very often on a 3pc suit, but isn't garish like some of the 3pc tweed things that exhibitionists get custom-made.

Somewhat depends on your body type, too. That Eidos cut looks really great on people with slim hips, but if you're not that slim, the quarters open up even more. OTOH, if you plan to wear it as a 3pc a lot, in which case you'll often be wearing the jacket open, this effect is mitigated.

Awesome - thanks very much for such a great reply.

The wedding isn't a church/reception one and will be a bit laid back - outdoor wedding in western Massachusetts which is a lot of farming towns and stuff so the brown appealed to me for this reason on top of flat out liking the suit.

OTOH, the Formosa would look pretty formal for the wedding most likely but it's a badass suit and I am sure there will be many other occasions where I can put it to use.

As far as build - I am 6'1 and slim, but not overly slight. Probably weigh like 175'ish.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i thought the same thing thing and i hope it is. would make the jade vs camel decision a more difficult one though.

to your point i think there will be some difference in color between the two jades. they are made up of different materials

merino: Jade green body (86% wool, 14% nylon; 600 gram) with 100% wool light brown liner

memory: Green wool body (70% wool, 25% polyester, 5% cashmere) with contrasting grey 100% wool knit liner

gah, what shade of grey will the liner be? lighter or darker? i ask because grey can make my face look more lifeless than it already is

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't get the "This item is now available!" e-mail, strangely, but i was fortunate to snag that Monitaly Mountain Parka that In Stitches returned. So very excited.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the SDC BunnyKiller, but think that it might occupy the same space as my SS Merino. Anyone own both? @unbelragazzo?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads