• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I use the Alden Restoration?

painfree

Reaction score
I got a really amazing deal at a thrift store- ALden longwings in #8 shell for 4.00 bucks!

Now, they are pretty stretched out and do have some serious rippling, and they are a half size too large.

My question is, should I do the factory restoration on these? Does anyone think it would be possible (or likely) that the shoe would be tightened up in the relasting process, or could be lasted to a 9D? I am a pretty true 9D so the 9.5 is large, but if I wear thick socks it still is a decent fit as my foot is on the wider side of medium.

It seems like the restoration process is pretty complete for 145.00. If anyone has pictures of longwings that have been through this or could comment on the sizing questions I asked I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dustin

painfree

Reaction score
Not to bump my own thread but just wanted to get out an FYI...

I was emailed by alden and they said that in their restoration process, when they relast the shoe, they can relast a previous 9.5D to make it a 9D! Or at least the customer service email states, "it should be no problem."

Just thought I would pass it along.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden can also make a normal width shoe wider under the restoration program. They are in the process of making my 9D shoes into 9E which they are doing for free. Strangely they refused to replace the soles or the linings, telling me they do not need replacement. This, despite the fact that there is clear wear on both.

It also turns out that you cannot simply change the soles to anything you want under Alden's restoration program. I requested a change from double leather to plantation crepe and was told that only certain shoes can take the plantation crepe. Who knew....

They've been very professional and responsive, however.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
Alden can also make a normal width shoe wider under the restoration program. They are in the process of making my 9D shoes into 9E which they are doing for free. Strangely they refused to replace the soles or the linings, telling me they do not need replacement. This, despite the fact that there is clear wear on both.

It also turns out that you cannot simply change the soles to anything you want under Alden's restoration program. I requested a change from double leather to plantation crepe and was told that only certain shoes can take the plantation crepe. Who knew....

They've been very professional and responsive, however.

Can they replace a plantation crepe with a double leather sole? My crepe sole longwings are very comfortable, but not the prettiest shoes I own. I'm thinking of replacing the sole with double leather when I wear the crepe down.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Can they replace a plantation crepe with a double leather sole? My crepe sole longwings are very comfortable, but not the prettiest shoes I own. I'm thinking of replacing the sole with double leather when I wear the crepe down.

I'm curious about that question as well.

As to the OP, I'm not sure it would be worth the cost to have those recrafted and relasted, after the $145 fee plus shipping. Seems you could flip them for a fair amount and then put those funds towards a pair on ebay that fits you properly.

Once you're $160-170 into the shoes, the $4 thrift no longer seems like a great deal. Just a thought.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well according to the person I spoke to at Alden, switching from a plantation sole to a different sole is not an issue. The reverse isn't true - for some reason only certain shoes can take the plantation sole.

Thanks, that's excellent news.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well according to the person I spoke to at Alden, switching from a plantation sole to a different sole is not an issue. The reverse isn't true - for some reason only certain shoes can take the plantation sole.
This is great to hear. My longwings with crepe soles are in ravello, which is a terrific color. Even though they're my most comfortable shoes, when the soles wear down, I'm replacing them with double leather soles to make the shoes more versatile while also improving their appearance.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartrolliast
I bought some AE's at Goodwill for a great price. Can they be made into Aldens?

Of course. Just send them in to be re-lasted. Trick them out in cigar shell with a norwegian split toe, as long as they are there.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartrolliast
I bought some AE's at Goodwill for a great price. Can they be made into Aldens?

AE also has a restoration service...

MORNINGSTAR777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
I'm curious about that question as well.

As to the OP, I'm not sure it would be worth the cost to have those recrafted and relasted, after the $145 fee plus shipping. Seems you could flip them for a fair amount and then put those funds towards a pair on ebay that fits you properly.

Once you're $160-170 into the shoes, the $4 thrift no longer seems like a great deal. Just a thought.

New Alden's retail for more than twice that, so...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MORNINGSTAR777
New Alden's retail for more than twice that, so...
Shell is even significantly more, so using the restoration service isn't a bad idea to me.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Shell is even significantly more, so using the restoration service isn't a bad idea to me.

+1.
You also don't have to break them in again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads