• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British shoe sizing

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I'm looking to buy my second pair of Crockett & Jones shoes - the first being a pair of black bals made for Polo Ralph Lauren - and, of course, I'm encountering problems with the proper size conversion.

The Polo shoes were marked as a US size 7D, and they're a good fit for length, although the little toe on my right foot pinches a little, since my right foot is slightly bigger than my left.

I faxed outlines of my feet to C&J, and they suggested a UK size 6.5E, although this may have been because I threw this option up in the air and they ran with it.

The gentleman who owns the P.Lal store suggested that a UK size 7D usually equals a 6E in Crockett & Jones, but some go for the 6.5E for a little more room. I then e-mailed asking about a size 6 in an F fitting, but haven't got a response yet.

Suggestions, anyone? P.Lal have a fax number, I might fax them as well.

Thanks very much, guys...

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Let us know what they say. I'm considering going with C&Js myself. So C&Js sizing usually run a full size different than American sizing? Doesn't 'standard' UK sizing run 1/2 size smaller (e.g., 9US=8.5UK)?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this will help but here's my experience with PLAL and C&J: I wear a U.S. 9.5 D. I bought a pair of Whitehalls, and according to their advice, bought them in 8 1/2 E. They were painfully tight, and I took them for several stretchings. They were fine in length, but too snug. They are fine now, because I had them stretched. Plus I keep them stretched by putting a large shoe tree in them, coupled with some balled up sheets of newspaper.
I just ordered another pair of C&J, this time the Downing in tan. I ordered 8 1/2F this time and expect them to fit much more comfortably. Bottom line, I guess, is that they fit a bit snug.
I have the same problem you do, by the way, with one foot being smaller than the left. I broke my leg as a kid and had to wear a full-length cast for 6 months, which left me with one foot smaller than the other.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let us know what they say. I'm considering going with C&Js myself. So C&Js sizing usually run a full size different than American sizing? Doesn't 'standard' UK sizing run 1/2 size smaller (e.g., 9US=8.5UK)?
Thanks for the advice, guys - I'm under the impression that C&J sizing runs on a sliding scale - the bigger the UK size, the closer it gets to its US equivalent. A UK size 13, for example, is less than a half-size away from a US size 13; at least, I think it is. Based on Stu's experience, I guess I'll try a 6F, perhaps in the 'Leicester' model, unless I get any opinions to the contrary... *cough* Jcusey Bengal A Harris *cough*

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Can you tell me more about faxing your foot outline in to C&J? I know that's an inexact science, but I'd think it could get you in the ballpark.

I'm pleased to hear that they fit somewhat snugly. My foot runs a tad narrow. A snug UK E (=US D) would probably work well.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 9D in Allen Edmonds and Mr. Doshi at PLAL suggested a UK 8E would be equivalent. He was right: my C&J Chelsea boots fit exactly like the AE's. I do recall hearing, though, that the handgrade line runs snug so I'll likely choose UK 8.5E when I go for a pair of Weymouths. I've found customer service with PLAL to be exemplary - they'll even waive the return shipping charges if you have to return your first pair due to sizing problems.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Very good. You're building up my courage to order from plal. It would be about a $100 savings from Ben Silver, I believe. Still a few weeks away, though.

The model I'm considering is carried in chestnut by Ben Silver, but in burgandy by plal (at least listed as such on their site). Are they generally able to obtain specified colors (chestnut or tan, say?). I would prefer chestnut or tan over the burgandy.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the shoes are available from C&J, I believe PLAL can obtain them.
I ordered a pair of brogues, which they didn't have in-stock at their store in K-L but were able to obtain them from the UK. I expect to receive the shoes in about a week. I gather they have regular shipments from C&J and so can add special orders with ease.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forum Necromancy.

I'm debating on whether or not I should go for C&J's in 6.5E or 7E. I have a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes in 7.5 E American, but they're kind of big.

Also, are C&J and Alfred Sargent sizings comparably similar?

MPS

Reaction score
Nick,

Do you have any RM Williams boots? From my experience, RM Williams sizing equals that of C & J. As regards width, a G in RM Williams equals about an E in C & J.

MPS

Reaction score
Tattersall,

The 337 last is very long, but it is relatively narrow: I would suggest sticking to a size 8 (the manager in the Jermyn St store reckons that quite a few people need Weymouths a half size smaller than their regular C & J's).

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tattersall,

The 337 last is very long, but it is relatively narrow: I would suggest sticking to a size 8 (the manager in the Jermyn St store reckons that quite a few people need Weymouths a half size smaller than their regular C & J's).
Wait, if it's narrow, why wouldn't you want it at 8.5 as opposed to 8?

I'm leaning towards getting a 6.5 for myself, since my fat Japanese feet fit into 7 D shoes (American) without much problem. Are you recommending I try for a UK size 6 instead with the 337 last?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Pediwear lists a new captoe oxford on the 337 last called The Audley, which seems to be an alternative to The Whitehall on the 330. Most handgrades (including the legendary Weymouth) seem to be on the 337 last.

How would folks compare the 330 to the 337 (Whitehall vs. Audley)?

MPS

Reaction score
Actually, the 337 is narrower in the throat of the shoe only. Because you can adjust the circumference of the shoe in this region by adjusting the tension in the laces, I don't think that you really need to make allowances for this.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yarrr, so I went and had my feet measured again by those nifty metal thingies, and found that both of my feet are a perfect size 7D, American. I guess I'll get those C&J Handgrades at 6.5E, and other UK shoes at 6E.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads