• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voicemail prompts

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think most people's prompts are way too long. The worst that I've heard is "Hi, you've reach 555-555-555, John Doe's cell phone. Please leave your name, number and I'll get back to you. Thanks, bye." Mine is short, I copied it from Jack Bauer: "Leave a message for Kent Wang." We all know the standard procedure for leaving messages so there is absolutely no reason why anyone should have a long voicemail prompt. Adding to the waiting time before you can leave your message are the unalterable prompts built into each system. The shortest is "To leave a message, press 1" which will immediately beep and allow you to record. The worst is something like "Leave a message after the beep. Press 5 if you'd like to page this person. For additional call options, press 9 after you record your message. <beep>".

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I think most people's prompts are way too long. The worst that I've heard is "Hi, you've reach 555-555-555, John Doe's cell phone. Please leave your name, number and I'll get back to you. Thanks, bye." Mine is short, I copied it from Jack Bauer: "Leave a message for Kent Wang." We all know the standard procedure for leaving messages so there is absolutely no reason why anyone should have a long voicemail prompt.

Adding to the waiting time before you can leave your message are the unalterable prompts built into each system. The shortest is "To leave a message, press 1" which will immediately beep and allow you to record. The worst is something like "Leave a message after the beep. Press 5 if you'd like to page this person. For additional call options, press 9 after you record your message. <beep>".

Kent,

I used to work for the company that was world leader in Voice Mail. you wouldn't believe all the people who were involved in research of how to build up the prompts for this. a lot of science goes into it.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Other tedious filler includes such lines as &quot;You've reached so-and-so. I'm either away from my desk, on another line, or in a meeting...&quot; and &quot;Please leave a message with your name, number, and the time of your calling...&quot;

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I used to work for the company that was world leader in Voice Mail. you wouldn't believe all the people who were involved in research of how to build up the prompts for this. a lot of science goes into it.
Intriguing. Are there any interesting observations you can share with us or are you under an NDA?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Intriguing. Are there any interesting observations you can share with us or are you under an NDA?

nothing that secret - but just think for a second that cell phone companies are in the business of keeping you on the phone for as long as possible, and that even a few seconds, if you do it every day, and if every one of tens of millions of subscribers do it, adds up to big bucks. so, for instance, the sequence of buttons you have to push to get your messages is very well thought out - not too long to be uncomfortable and have you notice it, but long enough to lengthen the call by a fraction.

a voice mail system, if it has well thought out human engineering, can pay for itself in additional air time generated, in about 90 days.

ATM

Reaction score
Mine is short, I copied it from Jack Bauer: "Leave a message for Kent Wang."
I've got you beat. Mine says: "Leave a message. Thanks."

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cellphone voicemail rant: As a tangent, leaving a message that says "hey, this is John, call me back" is almost 100% useless. People should either leave messages with pertinent info or not leave them at all. If you're not calling for anything, when I see that I missed your call, I'll call you back. If you're calling for a particular reason, tell me what that reason is so that 1) consider a response before I call you back, and 2) if you miss my return call, I can leave you meaningful message.

Back to the topic: I don't have strong feelings about voicemail prompts, except they should be prompt. To those who's VM prompt is only "leave a message," I'm curious, do you answer the phone by stating just your last name?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ATM
I've got you beat. Mine says: "Leave a message. Thanks."
Don't you think it's important to mention your name? It's possible your caller has mis-dialed. I know that sometimes when I'm calling and being distracted I sometimes forget who I am calling by the time I reach voicemail. Globetrotter: That is sneaky.
To those who's VM prompt is only "leave a message," I'm curious, do you answer the phone by stating just your last name?
Why do you ask that? I don't get the connection. No, I usually say 'Hello' or greet the caller by their name. If we have been calling back and forth a lot for the past few minutes I might just say 'Yeah'.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
I have a friend who changes his pretty frequently, but always throws this one in, &quot;Hey.........................................you have reached Jon.&quot; So all that time is me talking to him, then the message he gets is usually me cursing him out. Drives me crazy, and now he will answer if he sees it is me, and pause while I'm talking to him then over me will say &quot;you have reached Jon.&quot; He thinks it's great, and I am the only one who has a problem with it. I need new friends.

ATM

Reaction score
Don't you think it's important to mention your name? It's possible your caller has mis-dialed. I know that sometimes when I'm calling and being distracted I sometimes forget who I am calling by the time I reach voicemail.
Yes, you're right. I do occasionally get messages from people who dialed the wrong number. I should change it.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ATM
Yes, you're right. I do occasionally get messages from people who dialed the wrong number. I should change it.
I'm changing the world, one person at a time.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find most people have become accustomed to the long, long voicemail prompt.

My prompt is, "This is Nicholas Mason, leave a message". Many of my friends tell me they get stumped because they expect something longer and don't have time to formulate a response.

Globetrotter - insidious. Will make an interesting conversation topic in the real world.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are very few &quot;clever&quot; prompts that I like, except &quot;This is Jane Doe. The beep is axiomatic.&quot;

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads